Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Illness Benefit to the Dole

Options
  • 20-04-2012 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I am currently on illness benefit and have been for just under 6 months. I left my job after 5 years in the civil service due to ill health. I have been called for a medical assessment in 3 weeks time and although my illness is genuine and I have the backing of my GP I still think that there is a risk it will be stopped. Would I be entitled to the Dole if I was cut off illness benefit? Any help that any one can give is greatly appreciated, Cheers :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Please don't worry too much, go to the assessment and take a letter from the doctor explaining your condition. The very worst that could happen is that you would get JSA, which is means tested. Have a chat with your doctor and ask him how long he thinks your illness will last. If It's more than a year, consider putting in a claim for disability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Glitter, I am in exactly the same situation as yourself.
    Have been on Illness Benefit for over a year and have an assessment coming up but feel like they're gonna say I can work.
    I think I can work too but I still suffer a bit with my illness.
    I'm afraid they'll cut off my benefit and I'll have to wait for JSA. I can't really afford for that to happen.
    Thinking about asking my doctor for a final cert so I can change to JSA but am afraid that I'll get worse again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Hi, I am currently on illness benefit and have been for just under 6 months. I left my job after 5 years in the civil service due to ill health. I have been called for a medical assessment in 3 weeks time and although my illness is genuine and I have the backing of my GP I still think that there is a risk it will be stopped. Would I be entitled to the Dole if I was cut off illness benefit? Any help that any one can give is greatly appreciated, Cheers :confused:

If its deemed that you are fit for work then you can appeal this decision and receive jsb while your ib is being appealed.

If you are cut off IB and make an appeal keep a copy of the appeals letter and bring it with you when your go to sw office for jsb and you should also keep sending in weekly certs to benefits dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 glitter_eve

Thanks so much for your replies, hopefully the medical will go well and I am worrying about nothing :)

Advertisement