Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband modem sockets not "live"in certain rooms

• 20-04-2012 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,
    We recently had Eircom broadband installed. A technician called to the house to activate the phone line as it had never been used before. There are several phone sockets throughout the house but the wireless broadband only works when the modem is plugged in to the main socket inside the front door. Unfortunately though there's no electrical socket at that location!!!
    Anyone know what I need to do to activate the other sockets?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Hi all,
    We recently had Eircom broadband installed. A technician called to the house to activate the phone line as it had never been used before. There are several phone sockets throughout the house but the wireless broadband only works when the modem is plugged in to the main socket inside the front door. Unfortunately though there's no electrical socket at that location!!!
    Anyone know what I need to do to activate the other sockets?
    Thanks.
    Had a look at a similar problem for a friend of mine recently, turned out, that none of the extension sockets were connected to anything, I opened the faceplate to inspect if the telephone cable was punched down properly, the faceplate fell out of my hand and dropped on the floor with about 18 inches of telephone cable attached to it.
    I suggest you get a screwdriver and open the faceplate, you might be in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭LadFromLimerick

I open up one of the sockets and discovered it was actually wired (see attached picture). Seems to be 4 wires (blue, green, orange brown) coming from the cable but not sure if they're connected propery to the back of the socket to enable me to get broadband from this socket? Can anyone advise?
    Many Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I open up one of the sockets and discovered it was actually wired (see attached picture). Seems to be 4 wires (blue, green, orange brown) coming from the cable but not sure if they're connected propery to the back of the socket to enable me to get broadband from this socket? Can anyone advise?
    Many Thanks.

Stop them touching and it might work. You only use 2 strands, usually the blue and blue white, these go to the centre 2 pins on the socket (red and green)
    http://www.cableorganizer.com/articles/network-instructions.htm

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Eircom engineers don't wire up extension sockets, even when the wires all end behind the "master socket"

Eircom only ensure the master socket is working, not much else. If master works, job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭LadFromLimerick

Sorry for "bumping" this one lads but I still don't have a soloution to this problem! Any ideas?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes I may have a solution. Basically Eircom split the line into 2 parts at the master socket. One line is for voice only and may or may not go to other sockets. The other line is for broadband only. Thus you need to put the modem there.

The solution is to remove the new master socket and put an older type master cover there.

However if you do this you will need an ADSL filter on Every telephone in the house.

Basically there are 2 wires coming in from the street. These need to connect to the extension socket you want to use. So have a look at the master socket, and connect the 2 wires from the street to the two wires going to the extension. At the extension plug in the modem.

This setup is not recommended as you are best to split the system where it enters the building, but it will work.

And as already said make sure the copper of the wires are not touching.

Advertisement