Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my dog a French spy?

• 20-04-2012 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

So, in an effort to educate someone on 'dangerous dogs' vs 'Restricted Breeds' etc, I popped on to the Irish Guide Dogs website to show that they used restricted breeds (GSD in this case) as guide dogs.

Imagine my surprise when under Golden Retriever x German Shepherd I saw a picture of my dog! Now I know how other people can sometimes say "I saw a dog/cat that looked EXACTLY like yours today" and when you see this doppleganger cat/dog, you think the person needs to go to SpecSavers. But this was so close, it was uncanny. They could be body doubles. I showed it to my hubby, who (after first assuming that I was playing some sort of trick) concluded that it was a pup from the same litter - so he emailed them to find out where they got their dog. And they breed all their own dogs, or use registered breeders, and seeings as ours were born in a paddling pool in our house, we knew that couldn't be the case.

The description for the pic says "Here's a perfect example of one of our Shepherd crosses. This is a beautiful black and tan German Shepherd x Golden Retriever":
    201264.jpg

Now, the daddy of my youngest was a Golden Retriever. So far, so good. But the Mum is a lady of mixed heritage, but primarily Cane Corso. As far as we know, there is no German Shepherd in her history. She came over from France with my hubby, and he has known all the dogs back as far as her Grandaddy.

The only conclusion I can make is that she is a French GSD spy who is masquarding as a family pet!

The photos of my dogs do not necessarily show the uncanny resemblance to full effect, but rest assured, they are spookily similar. And as you can clearly see - the mum is in no way a GSD :D

201268.jpg

201269.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If you changed the daughter's coat to brindle, she'd be her mother! She's the image of her.
    I hope I don't offend you now, but how certain is the Golden Retriever father? Is there a chance she mated with more than one dog? Black and tan strongly marks progeny, it is a highly heritable colour scheme, so there's strong evidence here that somebody, somewhere (perhaps on a covert spy mission, away from home and in party mood) got very familiar with a black and tan dog... Whether shep, rottie or dobie we might have to guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

No offense taken whatsoever :)

Hubby maintains that the only time she got out to paint the town red was when she bolted past him at the door, and by the time he caught up with her and loverboy at the far end of the field, the deed was almost done.

I have always maintained that there must have been a clandestine encounter with another dog, as 5 of 8 pups had the same colouring, with two brindles, one with a mix (brindled feet, chest and eyebrows - a stunning combination!) They were also long haired, whereas mum is short:

100_1372.jpg100_1432.jpg100_1439.jpg100_1448.jpg

Advertisement