Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May bank holiday glacier skiing

Options
  • 20-04-2012 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Still can't get over the end of this ski season and thinking of going for few days over the May bank holiday for some glacier skiing. Anyone else with same thoughts and/or experience of doing glacier skiing before?

Was looking at glaciers in Austria (Hintertux, Kaprun, Stubai) for proximity to airports. I was looking at the Grande Motte in France but I was in Val d'Isere in early March and the traffic from Geneva to Tignes is a pain (3-4 hours drive easily) so would rather go somewhere closer/quicker.

Any advices on this and anyone else going too?

Igor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

Les Deux Alpes is quite close to Grenoble airport. Maybe a 1.5 hour transfer time. You can ski there in summer but not sure how conditions would be in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I am sick reading about the conditions anyway. And it looks like there's more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pigor

Not many good choices of direct flights for the bank holidays. Geneva so far looks best although it seems a bit awkward to get to the glaciers as both places are car free.
    Btw, which site you're using to check the conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

First check if they are open;

Nearly all of the glaciers close for a few weeks a year to let them repair lifts etc.

Hintertux does not close ever (Unless for bad weather)

Conditions can be hit and miss, if the temps stay down and the snow is good it will be great if the temps heat up you will get to ski till lunch and you will want to go home.

Thats how glacier skiing is.

Advertisement