Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken reels

Options
  • 20-04-2012 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi lads
    i just broke my lidle reel. used it twice... same thing happened to my last reel over and over again... the little metal cylinder pops out and the reel winder no longer works... i do somethimes get snaged as u do and try my best to unsnag the gear - i think this is what puts immense pressure on the reel and it brakes!

Whats should i do differently - really pisses me off - twice ive been on a boat sea fishing and the reel has broken and thats it for the month!

Is there any reel that this wont happen or is it my technicque or whats the story!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Don't buy any more reels from idil....

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

yup - i bought a reel from a local shop 2yrs ago and it did the same.

so if u get snagged and wrench the **** of it and the line slips and u do it again holding the line will all reels brake!

theres a lad in kinsale who has a stall on a saturday that does a multiplier strong reel and rod for 50 squids - will the same happen! my buddy said he never broke a reel! is it me or the reel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    is it me or the reel

It's a combination of both.
    When you get snagged its never a good idea to " wrench the shįt out of it"

lol - so if you have a good multiplier reel and you get snagged the reel will brake to if you wrench the **** out of it? i though the line should snap b4?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Depends what your fishing for, a multiplier has limited uses.
    If you get snagged and it's going nowhere, point the rod at the snag so the rod is not taking any of the strain and walk SLOWLY backwards holding the spool so it dosnt slip.
    The weakest point of your line is the knot so most of the time you will just loose your rig or whatever is tied on below the knot.
    Alot cheaper to replace a lure or whatever your chucking than replacing a reel.

• Advertisement

Cool - i knew it had to be me cause i always getr snagged and i was never told not to wrench it back and hold or pull the line!

thanks -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

What I do when snagged is to wrap a section of the line on a small piece of wood - normally between the reel and the first eye on the rod. Reel in the line till the piece of wood is against the reel. Then can pull as much as I like without damaging the reel. Far safer doing this when using braid too - that stuff is like cheese wire.....have had a few cuts from it trying to free snags.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marshyc

try a fladen maxximus reel, great value

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Patolagola

If your getting snagged and its breaking your reel then fish where you dont get snagged..

But heres another question: what weight line are you using, Iv been snagged 100's of times and pulled the line but have never broke my reel. Maybe your line is too heavy?

Advertisement