Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mick o'pedia website

• 20-04-2012 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

Has anyone seen this crap?
    Its a website in wikipedia style that conveys fact through stupid irish phraseology like 'to be sure' etc.
    I for one find it offensive, not least because the title refers to a 'mick' which is what the english called us for slang.
    I'm just wondering if anyone else felt offended by it and how to go about getting it pulled as being racist. In my mind the same idea could be applied to a black slang website and could be titled ****** o'pedia. Correct me if Im wrong.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Feckin eejits

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

curadh wrote: »
    Its a website in wikipedia style that conveys fact through stupid irish phraseology like 'to be sure' etc.
    I for one find it offensive, not least because the title refers to a 'mick' which is what the english called us for slang.
    I'm just wondering if anyone else felt offended by it and how to go about getting it pulled as being racist. In my mind the same idea could be applied to a black slang website and could be titled ****** o'pedia. Correct me if Im wrong.
    Link??????
    And its Americans who call us Micks. Its Paddys in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Ah sure tis grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

benwavner wrote: »
    Ah sure tis grand

well top 'o tha mornin' ta you too t'be sure t'be sure! :D

http://www.mickopedia.org/

actually, that's my day filled! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Spic-ipedia for the latino veiwpoint?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Found it. Its funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

Link??????
    And its Americans who call us Micks. Its Paddys in England.

Not in my experience pal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I stumbled upon that site trying to find info on Ireland in the 1988 UEFA cup ... I was like 'wtf'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I stumbled upon that site trying to find info on Ireland in the 1988 UEFA cup ... I was like 'wtf'

Ireland in the UEFA cup hahaha the European cup you'll find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

I for one find it offensive,

i usually switch off when someone uses this phrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Being able to laugh at oneself is a sign of confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭cml387

I'm going to that site right now to be outraged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

The blacks and the chinese get it too. Poor humour but I wouldn't get all tearful over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Plenty of things out there more deserving of your anger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Jesus, Jaysus have some people got nothign better to do than come online and tell the world that they have no ****ign sense of humour whatsoever and waaaaaay to mauch nationalism even by Irish standards.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The blacks and the chinese get it too. Poor humour but I wouldn't get all tearful over it.

I wouldn't give a 'feck' usually but the website has a somewhat genuine feel to it like its in some way official !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that is the funniest thing I've seen in hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Ireland in the European cup hahaha the European Championships you'll find

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Jesus, Jaysus have some people got nothign better to do than come online and tell the world that they have no ****ign sense of humour whatsoever and waaaaaay to mauch nationalism even by Irish standards.

Sense of humour? Yea hilarious ya big eejit lets all dance a jig and feed the international view that Ireland is a nation of lazy drunks with low IQ's...sure can't do any harm can it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

W123-80's wrote: »

another football reference hahahahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Thats brilliant. I looked up scorpion just to check how it works and love some of the lines

"Though the oul' scorpion has a fearsome reputation as venomous, only about 25 species are known to have venom capable of killin' an oul' human bein', for the craic"

"When the male has identified a feckin' suitable location, he deposits the bleedin' spermatophore and then guides the oul' female over it. This allows the bleedin' spermatophore to enter her genital opercula, which triggers release of the bleedin' sperm, thus fertilizin' the feckin' female, would ye believe it? The matin' process can take from 1 to 25+ hours and depends on the oul' ability of the bleedin' male to find a holy suitable place to deposit his spermatophore. Listen up now to this fierce wan. If matin' goes on for too long, the oul' female may eventually lose interest, breakin' off the bleedin' process"

less than 300 posts in 9 years as a member of boards, i had to wonder was the OP doing some sort of reverse psychology to get hits on something that they themselves set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

How does it work?

If it's be referencing the actual wiki page for the same thing and then irish-ifying it it's actually quite clever!

I prefer uncyclopedia for laffs though.

xsiborg wrote: »
    less than 300 posts in 9 years as a member of boards, i had to wonder was the OP doing some sort of reverse psychology to get hits on something that they themselves set up

Stalker much ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sense of humour? Yea hilarious ya big eejit lets all dance a jig and feed the international view that Ireland is a nation of lazy drunks with low IQ's...sure can't do any harm can it

If that's what you want to do, go for it.

If you really think the international view is taken from this website, then you deserve to be ridiculed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What the feck is phraseology? It's phases or phrasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

W123-80's wrote: »

I don't know anything about it!! I was sent on a wild goose chase for an assignment :(

If that's what you want to do, go for it.

If you really think the international view is taken from this website, then you deserve to be ridiculed.

Never said the International view is taken from this website.......but it certainly doesnt do it any good.......

Look..as Ive said Id find it funny if it wasnt so official....Is it an official website? Owned by Wikipedia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

mike65 wrote: »
    What the feck is phraseology? It's phases or phrasing.

Phraseology is fine, just not in that context. Phraseology is the study of err... phrases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Then it's not fine :)

xsiborg wrote: »

Stalker much ?

how is that stalker when its right under your username? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Speaking as a qualified phraseologist, I am quite offended at the lack of knowledge people have about phraseology.

Or to put it in plain language, yis can all feck off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'm getting pretty sick of people being offended by absolutely everything. In fact I now find it incredibly offensive. OP your offendedness is offending me, therefore I demand that you stop it at once.

Also this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Is it just me but I read it exactly the same as I would with the regular wikipedia? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Never said the International view is taken from this website.......but it certainly doesnt do it any good.......

You implied that the international view was taken from the website. I called bull**** - the international view will see that site for what it is, a harmless parody. It's just a shame some of the Irish temselves can't take the view.
    Look..as Ive said Id find it funny if it wasnt so official....Is it an official website? Owned by Wikipedia?

Seriously?

So you're worried about foreigners thinking we're thick and then...? Oh, never mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Don't be so precious.

I'm kinda hoping it's some Irish lads behind this, that'd send our super sensitive OP into some spin.....sorry, some feckin shpin ! Begorrah : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Its a website in wikipedia style

It IS a wiki site. Mildly amusing but gets boring very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BackScrub

First belly laugh I've had in a good while.

You'd have to be pretty sad really to get offended by that. That said, I'll probably be tired of it in a day or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It's just wikipedia with some auto generated fecks and wans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

If you can't laugh at yourself, sure what's the point ?

Bit of harmless piss-taking is all it is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I've never used the word 'bleedin' outside of using it for its actual meaning, more like DubO'Pedia. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Thats brilliant. I looked up scorpion just to check how it works and love some of the lines

"Though the oul' scorpion has a fearsome reputation as venomous, only about 25 species are known to have venom capable of killin' an oul' human bein', for the craic"

"When the male has identified a feckin' suitable location, he deposits the bleedin' spermatophore and then guides the oul' female over it. This allows the bleedin' spermatophore to enter her genital opercula, which triggers release of the bleedin' sperm, thus fertilizin' the feckin' female, would ye believe it? The matin' process can take from 1 to 25+ hours and depends on the oul' ability of the bleedin' male to find a holy suitable place to deposit his spermatophore. Listen up now to this fierce wan. If matin' goes on for too long, the oul' female may eventually lose interest, breakin' off the bleedin' process"

Me oul' eyes are bleedin' would ye believe it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Ah sure, the Mickopedia boys are just like the Irish. They aren't racist, they're only havin' the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

This has upset the OP so much that they've closed their account.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Feckin' hell you're easily offended. Loads of Irish speak like that. From what I've seen the grammar is superior to what passes for English in many, many Irish households. take your head out of your hole and wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 beemish

Be the holy feck, this is a quare wan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I don't see anything offensive about it really, I mean if it was derogatory that would be a different story, but its not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement