Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get away with a drink driving charge - would this work?

• 20-04-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Lets say you had a few pints and shots of vodka and decided to drive home.

On the way home the po-lice follow you and pull you in

You pull the car in of the road and take out the keys.Then you get a big bottle of vodka out of the glove compartment and drink it all in one go.

Would it work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

You pull the car in of the road and take out the keys.Then you get a big bottle of vodka out of the glove compartment and drink it all in one go.

Would it work.

Nope. You'd still be "drunk in charge".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Definitely not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Can't see why not :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

YES

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Nope. You'd still be "drunk in charge".

O right i didnt know that.

I thought that because you drank all the alcohol outside of the car that they have no way of would have no way of knowing if you were already drunk especially considering the amount of alcohol.

o well back to the drawing board

O right i didnt know that.

I thought that because you drank all the alcohol outside of the car that they have no way of would have no way of knowing if you were already drunk especially considering the amount of alcohol.

WHAT????

Are you drunk now op?

WHAT????

Are you drunk now op?

No i am just trying to see if this is possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

No. It changes the burden of proof. It is then up to the defence to prove that you would not have been over the limit anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you might pass the breathalyzer after a few pints and a vodka

it's not unheard of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Id prefer to go to court than drink a bottle of vodka. Rank...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

It's been tried already OP. Wasn't there a case a while back of some lad who fled the scene of an accident, went home and had a few glasses of scotch to 'calm him down' before he reported it...

With blood alcohol levels testing it's not too difficult to estimate how much alcohol was in the system, and for roughly how long and compare that to your story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Had a friend do something similar, he was followed home by the cops after a tip off.
    Cops got to his front about 5 minutes after he'd pulled in & met him with a bottle of whiskey in his hand swigging it back.
    They could do nothing & left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭upinthesky

might work if you get out of the car with the bottle of vodka run across the field and sit in the middle of it ad drink it lol

prinz wrote: »
    It's been tried already OP. Wasn't there a case a while back of some lad who fled the scene of an accident, went home and had a few glasses of scotch to 'calm him down' before he reported it...

With blood alcohol levels testing it's not too difficult to estimate how much alcohol was in the system, and for roughly how long and compare that to your story.

Yeah thats where i had a feeling it would all crumble.

I thought maybe drinking so much alcohol would kinda flood the body with so much alcohol that it would make it difficult.

Actually come to think of it maybe if you drank 2 big bottles of vodka,so much of it that it bascially hits you so hard that it knocks you out cold then you couldnt take the breatalazyer lol,prob better of just not drinking and driving maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

A girl I worked with said something along those lines happened to her dad. He was stopped at traffic lights and a car hit into the back of him. The driver then tried to get away but her dad followed and the driver eventually pulled in. He could see that the driver was drunk and called the garda. The driver then took alcohol out of the car and started drinking it. The Garda came and could not arrest him for drink driving. How true this is I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They cant charge you if you don't remember it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If you close your eyes they won't be able to see you either.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

They cant charge you if you don't remember it

I'm a solicitor, and the above is actually true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Would it work.
    Are you related to the guy looking to buy a driving licence ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Jet Black wrote: »
    A girl I worked with said something along those lines happened to her dad. He was stopped at traffic lights and a car hit into the back of him. The driver then tried to get away but her dad followed and the driver eventually pulled in. He could see that the driver was drunk and called the garda. The driver then took alcohol out of the car and started drinking it. The Garda came and could not arrest him for drink driving. How true this is I don't know.

If that happened in Navan about 2 years ago ur right , I know the guy that did that

If a person is ballsy enough to drink and drive then they should have the balls to talk any punishment coming their way :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

If a person is ballsy enough to drink and drive then they should have the balls to talk any punishment coming their way :mad:

Drinking and driving doesn't come come from the balls. It comes from the empty space where most people keep their brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

probably would if you had a vodka bottle filled with water otherwise they would know the bottle of vodka only has X amount of alcohol so then where is all the other alcohol coming from!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

If they take a urine sample is there not a way to find out how much alcohol is in your system and get an idea on how long it has been there? I thought i heard something about that before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Would it work.
    I think it would take time for the alcohol to be absorbed so they could take you to the police station, get a urine sample and read your alcohol level from that. If it was that easy ............;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭Wossack

I know someone who's best mates auntie, when pulled over said 'do you know why Ive stopped you this evening' at exactly the same time as the gard, and jinxed him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Last year during the summer friends of mine were parked up beside the Barge pub on the canal, they had the car doors open and were drinking. The keys were not in the ignition.

They were questioned by passing patrol car, produced their documents and the gardai went on about their business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Would it work.

Only if you share the vodka with the lads. They be quite thirsty at times and it's a well known fact that all Gardai are mad for Vodka - can't get enough of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

thread reminds me of a joke a mate of mine use to tell.

2 cars crash into each other.

both guys get out of the cars and are ok.

all is polite and they ring the gardai.

garda say they will be along

1st guy goes to his car and takes out a bottle of whiskey from the boot and says "fcuk this I need a drink to steady my nerves", then he looks at the other guy and goes "where are my manners, would you like a nip",

the 2nd guy (in shock) goes sure and takes a huge swig from the bottle and passes it back to the 1st guy. The 2nd guy asks the 1st if he is gonna have a swig, and the 1st guy puts the bottle away and says "no thanks, i'll just wait for the gardai"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

OP all you have to do is trick the Garda into taking off his hat, they can't arrest you if they're not wearing it.

Happened to a friends brothers cousin one time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

You cant be breathalysed untill 20 minutes after you've had your last drink, so if you think you might be slightly over, tell em you're only after having a drink, and it might give you enough time to metabolise it...

(not too sure if this would work, they have to bring you to the station anyway to get a proper reading)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

FatherLen wrote: »
    YES

A combination of your user name being "Father Len2 and your emphatic "YES" made that quite funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Had a friend do something similar, he was followed home by the cops after a tip off.
    Cops got to his front about 5 minutes after he'd pulled in & met him with a bottle of whiskey in his hand swigging it back.
    They could do nothing & left.

Some smell around here......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

dont drink and drive. end of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

Advertisement