Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contactless payments

Options
  • 20-04-2012 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,

I know your pretty much the last bank with the contactless visa\debit for your customers especially seeing that it has been in use in the UK back in September 2007 .
    But just wondering when can we except to see the latest mini stick-on credit card that can be attached to the back of a mobile phone? These are been launched this year in England. There running a trial at the moment, something like yourselves are doing with the Visa\Debit cards that they done back in 2007.
    Do you know is this something BOI are working on?

Also any update when there will be a mobile app for online banking, again nothing new here these have been out there for ages.

Thanks.

http://www.information-age.com/channels/comms-and-networking/news/2099258/barclaycard-unveils-nfc-payments-sticker-tag.thtml

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Why on earth would you want to stick your credit card to the back of your phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

well save you carring a wallet or card, everyone has there phone with them all the time. Simple one would have taught

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

So when your smartphone gets lost/stolen, the thief has your phone, all your personal information, AND your credit card. What could possibly go wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

Wouldnt worrie about that, bank cover it if its stolen ;)

"Barclaycard have however said that PayTag comes with the same 100% fraud protection as its other cards, and has promised to refund anyone who loses their card which is then used fraudulently"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi harolds57,

I will check to see if there is anything in the pipeline regarding mini stick-on credit cards and I will get back to you once I have an answer.

Also regarding the apps for mobile,
    At the moment we are working on an app for iPhone, Android and Blackberry which should be available for customers in the next 2-3 months.
    I will of course let you know once we have a launch date for the apps.

As I said I will answer the part about a mini stick-on credit card once I have the answer.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

On a related note.

I have the BOI Gold Mastercard and am wondering whether this will have contactless options in the future?

Do BOI plan on making all of their credit cards contactless or will it just be the Visa Debit?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

harolds57 wrote: »
    I know your pretty much the last bank with the contactless visa\debit for your customers

What other banks have it in Ireland?

Hi all,

Bank of Ireland is the first bank in Ireland to provide the Visa Debit contactless cards to their customers. New technologies and product developments such as the mobile banking app are very much on our radar and we will continue to keep our customers and this forum updated with any new developments.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Bank of Ireland is the first bank in Ireland to provide the Visa Debit contactless cards to their customers.

I thought that, so that's why I asked.

Does giving BoI an opportunity to look good put me to the top of the list to get my visa debit card? Free promotion/evangelism/consumer devotion and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Emmo-m-

Will the mobile banking app include NFC capabilities? For instance I have a Samsung galaxy nexus with an NFC chip built in. Would I be able to use my phone for contactless payment in the near future rather than a visa debit card?

• Advertisement

Hi Emmo-m-

The mobile banking app will not have NFC capabilities for the moment. It may be something we will look at in the future but there are no plans yet.

Thank you for your question.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Is there a list somewhere of retailers accepting "contactless" payments ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is there a list somewhere of retailers accepting "contactless" payments ?
    According to the intergoogle, AIB Merchant Services launched the first contactless terminal in the Grand Canal Theatre on 17th April. So I would imagine the number of active terminals in the country is still less than 3 figures at this stage.
    The payment method isn't available in Ireland yet, so it would really only be anyone who's upgrading their terminals who would get a compatible terminal at this stage.

You would probably need to contact AIB Merchant services to get a list from them, but there are other payment providers.

Hi Zimmerframe,

Sorry for not coming back to you sooner.

There are already 237,000 places in Europe to use your contactless Visa card with many more retailers set to accept contactless payments soon.

In the UK, contactless Visa cards are already accepted by McDonalds, Boots, WH Smith, Subway and many other retailers.

In Ireland, many stores already support contactless payments and more are joining all the time. Many of our largest chains of convenience stores have all announced the roll-out of contactless in their stores during 2012.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Smurf666

Hey!
    Got my new BOI Contactless Visa Debit card today!!!
    Delighted! The sellotape was wearing thin on the ole laser card! :D

Just wondering if there's list of outlets in Ireland that accept it???
    It say's there is in the info leaflet but having trouble finding it?

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

Got my visa debit but dont think its contactless how can i tell?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There is a small logo on it. Similar to the wireless icon on your phone.

Hi Smurf666,

We have had this question on another thread:
    You can find information on where you can use your contactless card on Visa's own website here.

I hope this helps,
    Thanks
    Linda

Hi Stuck Cone,

As KoolKid stated it will be a symbol on the front of the card. You can see the full information on Visa Debit cards here which will show what the contactless symbol looks like.

I hope this helps,
    Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

Hi Stuck Cone,

As KoolKid stated it will be a symbol on the front of the card. You can see the full information on Visa Debit cards here which will show what the contactless symbol looks like.

I hope this helps,
    Thanks
    Linda

No wireless looking symbol im afraid :( how do i go about gettin one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i do like leinster colour scheme :D

Hi Stuck Cone,

Unfortunately this is due to individual circumstances. If you would like to discuss your Visa Debit card you will have to contact your branch.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

You can see the full information on Visa Debit cards here
    Current account transaction fee applies
    (Waived until 30th April 2013)

So from next May, if I buy a coffee for €2.80 I will also get hit for a €0.28 transaction charge? A 10% additional cost? Ouch! 90 transactions per quarter for a flat fee helps a little, but that's not even enough to even keep me in coffee for 3 months, never mind other small purchases.

If I make 4 small purchases per day (is that considered a lot?) then that's 360 in a quarter, which adds up to €100 in transaction fees :eek:

Less convenient, but a lot cheaper to do a few €100 ATM withdrawls and continue with cash :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Contactless

Hi Ben - that's not the situation (for the moment anyway) as Bank of Ireland's schedule of fees and charges says that "Contactless transaction fees for domestic transactions and transactions in euro within the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will be waived up until 30th April 2013."

See: http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/fs/doc/wysiwyg/fees-and-charges-may-2012.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

That's why I said "from next May"

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Contactless

Fair enough, but perhaps, and hopefully, it will be extended

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fair enough, but perhaps, and hopefully, it will be extended
    I don't really understand the rationale behind it tbh. Contactless payments have the potential to massively reduce the demand for cash flowing around the place, which in turn means the banks can start reducing the number of ATMs. Each individual ATM is no doubt quite expensive to maintain and insure, you think they'd be jumping at this chance to start removing some of the more out-of-the-way ones.

If they charge for contactless payments, people will simply continue to go to the ATM to get small cash rather than pay a fee so they can use their own money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I got a new noncontact less visa debit card. What is the reasoning for issuing two types of debit card?

Would it not be easier to give everyone a contactless card and those who want to use it can and those who dont wont?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Cork24,

We have another thread on contactless payments where the below information might help:
    as required by the payment card industry, our contactless cards include the latest security features. The protection of our customers' data and card security is a primary concern to us. When developing products and services for our customers, it's at the forefront of our considerations.

We provide Verified by Visa, for example, which is a free fraud prevention service that helps guard against unauthorised use of your Visa Debit card on the Internet. It's added security to help protect against fraud by asking customers to authenticate themselves when shopping online.

Also, as mentioned previously:
    As an extra precaution, from time to time, you may be asked to enter your PIN to complete a transaction. Once you report the card lost or stolen you will be covered by the Visa Debit card terms and conditions of use.

We'll always investigate all reported cases of fraud and review each case on an individual basis. Our cardholders will have exactly the same protection as they have for all other fraud reported transaction types, once there hasn't been a breach in the terms and conditions of use of the card.

Thanks,
    Graham

Advertisement