Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bit of advice re suburban lawn?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Meelich wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have two questions about how to improve my surburban lawn - front and back.

I know the experts say that you can use a garden fork to aerate your lawn (and Monty Don was doing it the other week on Gardener's World) however it would probably take me ages (I'm a lightweight, I admit)

So I was wondering does this type of gadget work, how does it compare to the fork, and is it worth buying compared to one that takes out plugs of earth? http://www.mrmiddleton.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=290&category_id=27&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=329
    or http://www.azhire.ie/equipment.hire.products.dublin.ireland.php?sectionnumber=113&number=298

Secondly, my front lawn is northfacing and full of moss and weeds and I would like to address that - am I too late to spread sulphate of iron now? should I spread something with sulphate of iron and a weedkiller?

Any advice gratefully received.

That 1st gadget is only 10 euro,if you know where to look..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Meelich

Don't know where to look Paddy - any pointers?

Also, is it any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

i'd shy away fro the gadgets like that for a number of reasons. first take a look at your garden and see how dense your soil is. that gadget will be very light and may not penetrate the soil to get air into it so you'll still have to resort to the forks. secondly a good feed of fertilizer after a raking will improve the lawn quality without aerating it. as for the moss my lawn is the same back home so it might be that the drainage needs looking at regardless of the positioning of the lawn, that was our problem. is the mossy area in constant shade if so look at putting a flower bed in there instead with plants that will thrive in those spots, rhubarb likes the shady areas.

Don't know where to look Paddy - any pointers?

Also, is it any use?

Bargain Base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I have pair of spiky sandles that I strap over my shoes, haven't had a chance to use them yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

if aeration is required then i would suggest the hire of a petrol powered aerator:

7_Lawn-Aerator.jpg

this removes plugs of soil to provide good aeration which stay open for longer, as compared to the manual spike type 'tools' where the slits they make invarably close up as quick as they are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Meelich

Thanks Dardavl, I did look into that but the entrance to the back garden is through the garage and I couldn't find one that would fit through the door (which is a normal 'house 'door width).

Dr Evil, let us know how you get on with your shoes. I have a few pairs of stilettos myself I was thinking of putting on the kids and letting them run around.

Snakedoc, the front garden is practically entirely shaded - as well as being north facing we share a high laurel hedge with our neighbours which means it gets no sun. The front garden is about 30 feet wide by 20 long - and no point turning into a flower bed when it is so shaded as there is very little that will thrive with that shade. (Maybe I've missed my calling as a rhubarb jam maker?) When we get a big injection of cash (:p yeah right) we will gravel the front lawn instead but in the meantime I'd like to see if there's something I could do.

Paddy, I work right beside Bargain base so will pop in on thurs.

Paddy, I work right beside Bargain base so will pop in on thurs.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

don't know your location but these guys have this narrow model that would suit.....not cheap tho:o

http://www.azhire.ie/equipment.hire.products.dublin.ireland.php?sectionnumber=113&number=297

Advertisement