Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old people keeping money in their homes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

these days money is safter in your front garden then in any of the banks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Maybe they don't trust the banks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

They dont trust the banks. I'd a granduncle who had fifty thousand pounds taken off him years ago. Crazy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I don't trust the banks or mattresses. Where should I put my money? So far I've just been carrying it all around in an old sock stuffed down the front of my boxers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

But what about post office and credit union accounts? Surely the risk to the person who keeps money at home is far greater, in terms of robbery adn all the money being taken than a bank collapsing? Also, the savings in banks are guaranteed by the State now, and no major bank has failed to give savers back their money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I don't trust the banks or mattresses. Where should I put my money? So far I've just been carrying it all around in an old sock stuffed down the front of my boxers.

You could give it to me to "invest".

* Maybe launder it first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 elasticspastic

They're less likely to have their frail bodies give up on the trip to the biscuit-tin under the kitchen sink than the epic journey of wading through countless moronic teenagers staring blankly at their handheld-internet-boombox-phones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Old folk are panicky idiots.

The rag-newspapers tell them the banks are dodgy so they ignore the guarantee on bank deposits and put their life savings in a biscuit tin under the bed until someone pretending to be a guard takes it off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

My mother was in hospital with her aunt when a nurse informed her that they had discovered 16k cash in her handbag. The poor auld bird thought she had been brought in to die and had taken her life savings with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I find that half the ATMs I go to in Portlaoise or Portarlington are not working, and the banks' opening hours are a total joke, so naturally I always have money either on me or in the house. No huge sums, naturally, but often in the hundreds. It's no consolation to know that there are gurriers prowling around the country who would kill an old person for fifty ---:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

My mother was in hospital with her aunt when a nurse informed her that they had discovered 16k cash in her handbag. The poor auld bird thought she had been brought in to die and had taken her life savings with her.

She was gonna give it to the priest to get front row seats in heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 17 singathim

Im a young person and I have just over 15K under my bed!
    My aunt and her husband in Dublin recently took most of there money out of their bank and I know for fact she has 100K plus in cash hidden in the home safe.
    The banks and Credit unions pay 0% interest! There is ZERO incentive to keep your money in a bank these days.
    In fact, most banks have negative interest rates now!
    So, you are actually paying them negative interest just to keep your money in your bank!

Its far safer under the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

singathim wrote: »
    My aunt and her husband in Dublin recently took most of there money out of their bank and I know for fact she has 100K plus in cash hidden in the home safe.
    The banks and Credit unions pay 0% interest! There is ZERO incentive to keep your money in a bank these days.
    So, you are actually paying them negative interest just to keep your money in your bank!

Don't be stupid ffs! You are forgetting about inflation. You lose nearly 150 per percent inflation per year.at least in a bank you get security for your money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Don't be stupid ffs! You are forgetting about inflation. You lose nearly 150 per percent inflation per year.at least in a bank you get security for your money

Yep, you must work in a bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I've heard of a lot of elderly folks keeping money in their homes.
    For example my uncle done a job for his neighbor a couple of months ago. she got a discreet hatch box but in under her floor in her house... shes keeps her money there.

Smart idea as most burglars will check under the beds and the obvious places but who would check the floors....

I think elderly people are just old fashioned and not use to leaving money in the hands of other people.

Personally no matter what way the state is at the moment I don't trust any banks/credit unions etc..
    lets be honest - very few people seen a crisis coming when they where spending and saving big, no one knows whats going on behind closed doors or whats around the corner financially

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

You're right too.

Sneakily bookmarks username so that in a few months I can check back to see what sort of personal info they've given away so that I can get myself €15k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

You have to consider that people keep money at home in order to hide it from the Social Welfare!

Imagine doing a means test, "Oh, I see you have 100k in the credit union huh?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

You're right too.

Sneakily bookmarks username so that in a few months I can check back to see what sort of personal info they've given away so that I can get myself €15k

...and what about you AboutTwoFiddy?

How much do you have in the bank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Dunlopillo 0% Savings Account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Until your house goes on fire and the Insurance company pays fúck all for cash in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

tbh i used to think the idea of mattress money was crazy, but more recently I am beginning to see why people do it. for example if you have money on deposit the rates of interest are so low that they are really negligible (unless you have your savings locked into some kind of high interest account where they aren't easily accessible for a long period). so interest isn't even a factor because interest won't really keep up with the rate of inflation anyway.

As well as that, when you put money in a bank the govt etc knows you have it. there is an official record of you sitting on a lump sum. if for any reason you end up in a situation where you have to be means tested, or owe money to the taxman or even end up going into a nursing home or something, they know what you have and expect you to live off that first. whereas if you don't have it on deposit you could just say you spent it in the pub over the years, its gone.

keeping money at home means you have quick easy access to cash, no questions asked, no one any the wiser.Also with the current global economic situation banks and the like don't seem to be as safe as they once were, whos to say that the banks wont go bust? it is a possibility, albeit a slim one.

also for the sake of inheritance and the like, doesn't the taxman take a significant slice of that pie too? if you have cash at home you can give it to who you like when you like without any taxman having any sniff of it.

the worst thing about keeping it at home is the lack of security, what if you get burgled or the house goes on fire or something? so thats the big disadvantage, but I'm sure if you were clever enough and split it up into different lots and put them in different locations you'd probably be alright. the other is if you were suddenly taken ill, how would you ensure the right people get the money? i'm not sure how you'd get around that one. so I think thats why people do it, and old people do it more because they are older and wiser and don't blindly believe that 'of course the banks are safe' or 'of course the govt won't find a way to take this off me'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

My Grandparents hid money all over the house, tens of thousands.
    I'd say quite a lot of it has gone missing for good, thrown out with old furniture and the likes.
    I'd also say any old person doing the same is likely to have the money stolen by relatives or anyone else with access to the house.

A friends Grandmother got ripped off by a carer who used to skim cash out of her purse every visit. Everyone assumed she was just being a paranoid old lady until the carer started taking other valuables out of the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The man who was robbed is a legend, there was an excellent RTE Radio documentary about him a few years ago

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/convict.html
    His win in the 1958 Rás is one of the epics of Irish sport. People talked about him on the Maum that day. They said he trained with weights made from stone, that he made a living as a circus performer, that on one stage during that Rás - when the freewheel on his bike had broken - he stole an ordinary bicycle from a farmer and chased down the leading pack. They said that he rode for four days with a broken collarbone, that he would cycle for 40 miles having completed a gruelling stage just to cool down, that he drank cow's blood and ate raw meat. He was indestructible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

lazygal wrote: »
    But what about post office and credit union accounts? Surely the risk to the person who keeps money at home is far greater, in terms of robbery adn all the money being taken than a bank collapsing? Also, the savings in banks are guaranteed by the State now, and no major bank has failed to give savers back their money.

It may not even be about trust, it may just be a matter of difficulty getting to the bank.

they pay 4%
    there's 600 euro a year
    They dont trust the banks. I'd a granduncle who had fifty thousand pounds taken off him years ago. Crazy stuff.
    what happened?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

The increase in black economy work has meant that many don't lodge money in banks.
    They get a good fire proof safe put into tha attic and fill it with bags of 50s

No good for a deposit on a house or a car but great for holidays, nights out, new furniture, posh schools for the kids etc.

I know a guy with over 100k in his safe.
    If he lodged it he'd have to pay half of it in tax!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

My question is how does an person suddenly go from keeping there cash at home, to showing up at bank with 40 k,, and trying to open an account,,Would questions be asked? Would government try to take a huge slice of it ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

bluewolf wrote: »
    they pay 4%
    there's 600 euro a year

on the AIB website today it says; Regular Saver standard variable rate 1.00% A.E.R.*
    they do have higher promotional rates available to encourage people to open accounts, but they are 'promotional' and only available for certain amounts of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    these days money is safter in your front garden then in any of the banks :rolleyes:

Not if you run into default and they take the house away. :p

• Advertisement

gigawatt wrote: »
    on the AIB website today it says; Regular Saver standard variable rate 1.00% A.E.R.*
    they do have higher promotional rates available to encourage people to open accounts, but they are 'promotional' and only available for certain amounts of time.

http://www.ulsterbank.com/roi/personal/saving/regular-savings/sida.ashx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

Another question is why old people have so much money in savings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

ICANN wrote: »

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

mathie wrote: »
    ...and what about you AboutTwoFiddy?

How much do you have in the bank?

I think you might have missed part of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Irishwolff

Yes just as long as they dont have a forgetful memory...
    Some day they might look under the bed and find a load of money and think there lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

People who keep money out of banks are idiots....right up until they are geniuses.

Banks do have a history of failing and plenty of people have been burned by it; historically speaking.

There was a time when, if you didn't go out and buy the biggest house you could afford you were considered an idiot! NOW is the best time to buy! Prices just go up! You'll be making a small fortune when you sell it in a few years! Buy! Buy! Buy!

And they were idiots, right up until the market turned and they were geniuses.

People who keep their money out of banks are just people who choose not to avail themselves of banking services. Hell, I just got my list of 'fees' from Bank of Ireland and considering I'm getting paid 0% interest; I'm really starting to question why I'm paying them for the privilege of spending my money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

You do realise that there is a gang of burglars travelling the length and breath of this country with a specially trained money sniffer dog.

Their MO is to break in to a house , send off little Fido to search for your hidden cash , while there regale each other with stories of theft and general tomfoolery all the while eating your food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

No they don't pay zero percent, many pay 4% plus. Your basically throwing away 600 quid a year by not having it in a savings account.

This is what the media does to people. " there is zero incentive to keep your money in banks these days". In fact, with the banks needing money so they can lend, and interest rates so high, there has never been a better time to keep your money in a bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

My uncle was robbed for thousands a couple of years back. He had people in fixing the back garden who went sniffing around his house while he was distracted. We told him to take the rest of the money out, but he didn't listen. Two weeks after a gang of armed men came and beat him until he gave them the rest of the money he had hidden. The men were later caught but the money was never recovered.

Safes seem like a good idea, problem is if someone breaks in and finds it they'll be more inclined to come back later and force you to open it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hulk Hands wrote: »

No they don't pay zero percent, many pay 4% plus. Your basically throwing away 600 quid a year by not having it in a savings account.

This is what the media does to people. " there is zero incentive to keep your money in banks these days". In fact, with the banks needing money so they can lend, and interest rates so high, there has never been a better time to keep your money in a bank
    It's actually 420 euro once the government takes 30% dirt but still better than the nothing you'll get sticking it under the bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

If your going to keep your money at home. Wouldn't you be better off converting it to gold or silver coin and then bury it somewhere safe. It's risky keeping cash and history repeats, http://www.businessinsider.com/10-hyperinflation-stories-of-the-20th-century-2011-3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I wouldn't think of it just as a, 'bank thing'.

The elderly often go a bit strange with money, it is one of, or even the only thing, they have an iota of influence over, it's close at hand, it is 'their money' and also.. with great relish I'm sure.. carrot dangling influence over relatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭battle_hardend

i thought old people have no money ? , does this mean age ireland and friends of the elderly lied to me :(

ICANN wrote: »

thier only real expense is food and they recieve high entitlements

Hulk Hands wrote: »

savings rates in ireland are way above european and global averages at the moment , irish banks have gotten such a negative reputation that they hasd to raise savings rates as a way of enticing deposit holders

if i had a sizeable amount of money i could put away for some time , id be rushing while rates remain high , interest rates are likely to go lower in the short term

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

kowloon wrote: »
    My Grandparents hid money all over the house, tens of thousands.
    I'd say quite a lot of it has gone missing for good, thrown out with old furniture and the likes.
    I'd also say any old person doing the same is likely to have the money stolen by relatives or anyone else with access to the house.

A friends Grandmother got ripped off by a carer who used to skim cash out of her purse every visit. Everyone assumed she was just being a paranoid old lady until the carer started taking other valuables out of the house.

Scumbag

Advertisement