Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festival of the Fires 2012

Options
  • 20-04-2012 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

-Hill of Uisneach, Co Westmeath.

Music from Bressie, HotHouse Flowers, Royseven across 6 stages to name a few. Not to mention the ancient rituals, spoken word, celtic sports, children's areas workshops and many more events.

Anyone been before? It seems unreal. Can't wait for the Uisneach Warriors on horseback- reminds me of something straight from Middle Earth! :D

http://www.festivalofthefires.com/

http://www.facebook.com/#!/festivalofthefires

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭crazzzzy

i was there in 2010 and it was brilliant. would definitely be going again this year if could get a few to travel.

it was very laid back and the fires were really cool. when you going up the hill there was people in costume around on horses. it was spread out over few fields and there was a main stage in one, a healing area in another and a smaller stage in another.

it is far from towns so would want car or check up if can get bus from mullingar. there was a pub a few mins down the road and alot of people were there before it started in costume and the locals were really nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Indigo55

crazzzzy wrote: »
    it was very laid back and the fires were really cool. when you going up the hill there was people in costume around on horses. it was spread out over few fields and there was a main stage in one, a healing area in another and a smaller stage in another.

ha definitely haven't been to anything that compares to this! seen some pictures of previous years and now I cannot wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

We played there last year and can verify it was a brilliant festival. Needless to say, we were delighted to get the call back for this year! Happy Days!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

wow this looks great, Im guessing its a one day festival right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Went the last two years. First year was very good. Plenty of astmosphere. Bands were mediocre. Lila were great though and very fitting.
    Last year there was only one large bonfire and the lanterns on the walkways were mostly non existent. Same bands played mostly. Except I think one of them never showed or showed up very late. Jerry fish I think. Wasn't half as good as the first year.
    Went to the green village festival in nearby castle geoghan which was a lot better. More assortment of artists stands and food.
    I see Bressie is playing at the festival of the fires this year.................I won't be going. http://greenvillage.ie/

• Advertisement

Hey! Is there anyone planning on driving down to this on the Saturday morning from Dublin who is up for me paying half of their petrol costs??

I'm working Friday night so cant go then. Would get the bus only it looks to be a little out of the way and a change of bus is required as there is no special buses going.

Cheers!!
    Dom

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ilovetalking

I'm so excited about this festival!! I go every year and it's just amazing!! It's so laid back and relaxing! I love all the warriors on the horse, the sculptures, the fires, food, activities etc!! Def 10 out of 10!!

I didn't like the green village festival at all, very messy and disorganised! Its on too late in the year, so many people didnt even stay till the end it was so cold! Won't be attending it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Indigo55

foolelle wrote: »
    wow this looks great, Im guessing its a one day festival right?

yup just the one. Fairly certain it's being launched tomorrow morning at the Wax Museum for those interested and in Dublin city.
    I'm so excited about this festival!! I love all the warriors on the horse, the sculptures, the fires, food, activities etc!! Def 10 out of 10!!

snap! love the fires and horseback warriors especially- just wow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

We've been for two years now, and really enjoyed it on both occasions. Bit disappointed by the fact that it's getting bigger this year, to be honest, as I'm afraid that it will ruin the atmosphere, and I really hope that it won't start to attract troublemakers. One of the best things about it to date is that it hasn't attracted that kind of person (no worries about someone peeing on your tent etc!), and has attracted many locals and all ages (pensioners and children get in free I think!), which gives a lovely relaxed atmosphere. Not sure that having The Voice people adds much either, as the festival seems miles in ethos from that kind of thing, but I suppose it's 'local boy made good' and will appeal to plenty of people.
    Having said that, we're really looking forward to going again this year. I thought the procession last year was just as good as the previous year, although I would have liked to have had the second bonfire. The first year the farmer's bull and a cow walked through the smoke there, just as traditionally done on Bealtaine (I think it was to allow the smoke to clear their coats of parasites, and invoke good health and fertility for the animals?). If the Bealtaine focus of the festivities appeals to you, you should enjoy it.:)
    Forgot to mention, the Uisneach warriors are the absolute highlight of the whole day! They give a wonderfully primeval sense to the event as they gallop over the hill as the sun begins to go down. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pthestewart

Absolutely devastated I can't go this year. Got my ticket from the Wax Museum the day they launched, but have since been bogged down by work. I'm selling my ticket for €30 though if anybody's interested??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

planning on going for the day on saturday and am interested in everything, music, arts & crafts, kids area (am bringing my 7 year old) etc. What's a good time to get there to get the most out of it?
    I guess it will be a late enough one with the moon and meteors, but am planning on leaving around 9 or 10 because I have to get up North too :-/.
    What time do things kick off at?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ilovetalking

dmaxontour wrote: »
    planning on going for the day on saturday and am interested in everything, music, arts & crafts, kids area (am bringing my 7 year old) etc. What's a good time to get there to get the most out of it?
    I guess it will be a late enough one with the moon and meteors, but am planning on leaving around 9 or 10 because I have to get up North too :-/.

The opening ceremony is at one, there will be different events on all day and loads of areas to visit! I think the fire ceremony is at 9!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

dmaxontour wrote: »

Well, you might miss the fire procession if you leave around 9, as I think that is when it will happen. And it's great so if you can stay for that you should! There's lot to see, and the music goes on from about 1pm I think. If you arrived around 3pm, say, you'd easily pass the hours until the procession.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Roqueandrolle.

right, i just won tickets and i'm not quite sure how to get there; any advice since I've no car?

how does one get from either athlone or mullingar to the festival site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

A big hello to all the Galway musicians heading to the Festival of the Fires - Queen Elvis, Fia Rua, Fling, Niceol Blue, The Dub Doctors, Rural Savage, Mairtin O' Connor, Mikey and the Scallywags and The Bahh Band. That's a good healthy show up from the wild west!

Advertisement