Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irishman who saved Barcelona

• 20-04-2012 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Interesting article that my friend wrote earlier on Patrick O'Connell, the first Irishman to play for and then captain Manchester United, before becoming manager of Barcelona and saving them from extinction.
    Article here.
    I just thought it was an interesting that people mightn't be familiar with, thought I'd share it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Very good read...thanks for sharing.....enjoyed the match fixing story ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

chillian17 wrote: »
    Interesting article that my friend wrote earlier on Patrick O'Connell, the first Irishman to play for and then captain Manchester United, before becoming manager of Barcelona and saving them from extinction.
    Article here.
    I just thought it was an interesting that people mightn't be familiar with, thought I'd share it!

A few typos, but a very interesting read, thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭chillian17

Jernal wrote: »

Ha, nicely played on their part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I must be missing something.

How did he 'save' Barcelona exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Great read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Remembered this thread and thought I'd bump it for this.

TG4 have made a documentary about Patrick O'Connell and it will air tonight at 21.30.
    Paddy Don Patricio (OS)
    21:30
    (1/1) Paddy Don Patricio, real name Patrick O Connell, the Dublin man history almost forgot. A former Belfast Celtic player, who later captained Man Utd during the first world war, his career culminated in him saving FC Barcelona from extinction as it's club manager during the Spanish Civil War.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Remembered this thread and thought I'd bump it for this.

TG4 have made a documentary about Patrick O'Connell and it will air tonight at 21.30.

Heard the ads on the radio about this,going to be an interesting watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I dont know how much boards football posters follows politics in Spain but in Catalonia things are changing fast at the moment. There is a growing movement for independence. It might not be so far fetched that Barcelona might end up in a Catalonian league in the years ahead. A giant among minnows. And, when that happens the giant gets smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I dont know how much boards football posters follows politics in Spain but in Catalonia things are changing fast at the moment. There is a growing movement for independence. It might not be so far fetched that Barcelona might end up in a Catalonian league in the years ahead. A giant among minnows. And, when that happens the giant gets smaller.

Would explain them being at the forefront of a Euro Super League.

• Advertisement

Watched the documentary,it was very well done and well worth watching,Im surprised there hasn't been more about Patrick O Connell,captained Utd and Ireland,wins La Liga with Betis and then manages Barca kept them going during the Civil War,them achievements alone must put him up there with the best this country has produced in football

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Where To wrote: »
    I must be missing something.

How did he 'save' Barcelona exactly?

Yeah I don't get it either. It's a cool story and he deserves respect for impressive achievements. But I don't understand the claim that he saved Barca.

When he took the Barca team to America during the Civil War,that tour managed to raise $5k for the club,this money was put into a Swiss bank so Franco's regime couldn't confiscate it,this money was then used to get the club back on track when the war ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

When he took the Barca team to America during the Civil War,that tour managed to raise $5k for the club,this money was put into a Swiss bank so Franco's regime couldn't confiscate it,this money was then used to get the club back on track when the war ended.

But from the article it doesn't seem like he was the one who particularly made that tour happen. He just happened to be the manager at the time they went on the tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Pro. F wrote: »
    But from the article it doesn't seem like he was the one who particularly made that tour happen. He just happened to be the manager at the time they went on the tour.

Thats what i took from it also.

Maybe he was the one who came up with the idea of the trip or was the driving force behind them going but the article doesnt say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The documentary was excellent. I respect him for going back to the club even after they told him they'd understand if he didn't want to return to the country with what was going on. He said he signed a contract and he wanted to honour it. How times have changed in football, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Does anyone know if this is on the TG4 player? I've had a look but can't figure it out.

ni thuigim me

Lumbo wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this is on the TG4 player? I've had a look but can't figure it out.

ni thuigim me

Ya just click on Documentaries on the player home page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Lumbo wrote: »

ni thuigim me

http://www.tg4.ie/en/tg4-player/tg4-player.html

Under "Documentaries".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Thanks lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought this thread was worth a bump as there's a great article in today's Guardian about the efforts made to remember Patrick O'Connell.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/may/07/patrick-oconnell-barcelona-real-betis-campaign-film-recognition

A lot of good things have come from the campaign. Fair play to those involved. Love the anecdote about Roy Keane hearing the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kingdom Bhoy

https://shows.acast.com/celtic-soul-podcast/episodes/celtic-soul-podcast-episode-66-fergus-dowd

Excellent interview about Patrick.

Also updates on the disgraceful way Debenhams workers have been treated in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kingdom Bhoy

Advertisement