Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late for a summer J1 2012?

Options
  • 20-04-2012 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all, thinking of heading on a J1 this summer alone, seeing as my friends backed out! Is it too late at this stage, and what would be the earliest I could fly out? Interested in heading to somewhere on the east coast if anyone is up for sharing etc. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Definitely not too late. AFAIK the J1 travelling dates start on May 1st, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ronan88

Thanks. How long does it take from booking to flying out? If I were to book next week would it take ages to get sorted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hilaryclare89

I'm undecided about whether to get a J1 or just a holiday visa..won't be there the whole summer because of interviews (hopefully) Will be going alone and hoping to meet people over there and visiting a friend in the Boston area...it will be east coast but need some suggestions how to approach this on my own...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ronan88

I decided I'm just going to go on a holiday non-visa waiver and just travel around by myself for a bit. Not too sure where exactly yet though...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 prescar

Ronan88 wrote: »
    Hi all, thinking of heading on a J1 this summer alone, seeing as my friends backed out! Is it too late at this stage, and what would be the earliest I could fly out? Interested in heading to somewhere on the east coast if anyone is up for sharing etc. Thanks!

I only booked on Thursday there! The earliest I can fly out is the 15th of June but I'm staying till the 10th of Sept, so getting nearly 3 months out of it! Book as soon as you can though, flight prices are going to be increasing and also you will have to fly out later the longer you leave it!

Go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Definitely not too late. AFAIK the J1 travelling dates start on May 1st, but I could be wrong.

This used to be the case but it has changed this year, May 25th is the earliest J1 visa holders are permitted to arrive in the United States and can't start working until June 1st. It's all to do with a clamp down on Russian, Ukranian and Bulgarian J1 students over staying their visas (quite how this helps do that is beyond me).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KatieD.

prescar wrote: »
    I only booked on Thursday there! The earliest I can fly out is the 15th of June but I'm staying till the 10th of Sept, so getting nearly 3 months out of it! Book as soon as you can though, flight prices are going to be increasing and also you will have to fly out later the longer you leave it!

Go for it!

Hey, I'm considering a J1 after I return from Africa on the 13th June. Was in touch was USIT and earliest I can fly is 20th. I see last year you only flew the 15th-did you have a problem finding a job?
    Cheers

Advertisement