Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite conection to a TV??

Options
  • 20-04-2012 2:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

If a TV has a built in digital TV tuner/reciever,then can it be simpley hooked up to an external satellite dish without the need for a set top box??

Or is a set top box also needed??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

afaik freeview is the uk equivalent of saoirview

i think you'd need a separate fta or freesat box for the satellite channels

i'm only guessing though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

M cebee wrote: »

i'm only guessing though

That LG TV picks up Saorview and is MPG4.A few people in bargain alerts forum bought them for that reason.

Im just wondering then if all I need is a dish and no need for a set top box??

paddy147 wrote: »
    M cebee wrote: »

i'm only guessing though

That LG TV picks up Saorview and is MPG4.A few people in bargain alerts forum bought them for that reason.

Im just wondering then if all I need is a dish and no need for a set top box??

yes I believe it will tune saoirview only but not fta/freesat without a box

thats my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

If a TV has a built in digital TV tuner/reciever,then can it be simpley hooked up to an external satalite dish without the need for a set top box??

It will need a stb for fta/freesat. And an aerial for saorview.

johnayo wrote: »
    If a TV has a built in digital TV tuner/reciever,then can it be simpley hooked up to an external satalite dish without the need for a set top box??

yes I think that's the basic jist of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

johnayo wrote: »
    +1
    The TV's tuner will only decode freeview, and in this case AFAIK Saorview. You will have to get a satellite receiver set top box (STB) and put it between your TV and a satellite dish pointed at the astra satellite. Check out the Satellite forum here on boards.

Ive had this LG TV for several months now,but only took it out of the box today.Bought for 250 euro in Tesco,just before Christmass.

Well.... Im picking up full Saorview,TV3 and 3E and all from only this internal areal.

There is no other connection to the TV apart from this areal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Is it picking up RTE2 HD?

Is it picking up RTE2 HD?

And a whole heap of radio stations too.

D'uh - I should have said, can you see/watch, not pick it up, RTE2 HD, I suppose.

I'm wondering about its ability to decode the signal, that's all.
    :)

• Advertisement

So if this Tv is picking up Saorview from just an indoor areal,will it pick up the satalite channels like all the BBC channels and ITV channels with just the dish??

I have a brand new 80cm diameter dish here in the garage,never been used before.

Dont want to be spending money,if I dont need to spend it.

no i doubt it

you need an astra dish +fta/freesat box

as has been said already

No - you need the TV to have Freesat, not freeview for it to pick up satellite channels directly from a dish. Otherwise, you are looking at getting a Sky box or a Freesat box, or other decoder/fta box.

Lots of info on the satellite forum

I just got fed up with UPC and dont want anymore bills from now on,so thats why I decided to have a fiddle around today with this TV.

The other TVs are all the same spec as that LG TV.

Right so,thanks for that.:)

Ah the joys of modern day TV eh??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

D'uh - I should have said, can you see/watch, not pick it up, RTE2 HD, I suppose.

I'm wondering about its ability to decode the signal, that's all.
    :)

It will tune in rte2 HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Ive had this LG TV for several months now,but only took it out of the box today.Bought for 250 euro in Tesco,just before Christmass.

Well.... Im picking up full Saorview,TV3 and 3E and all from only this internal areal.

There is no other connection to the TV apart from this areal.

Yea i actually put up an outdoor aerial in dec 2010 which goes into a splitter in the attic, which also powers a mast head amp on the aerial, and got a saorview box last oct. Have it set up on a projector upstairs. And another leg from the splitter down to the tv downstairs which is running from the analogue signal. I will need another saorview box when the ASO happens.

For the free sat channels you will need a sat receiver. I ended the sky sub a couple of years ago and so i just use that.

Is this a good bargain for 100 euro all in?

Just popped out to buy it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

General consensus is that the lidl special satellite systems are not great. The dish certainly won't stand up to much, and likes a bit of rust in no length. But for €50 all in, how wrong can you really go I suppose :)

Also, the tv you brought is not fully compliant with Saorview. It's for the UK digital platform, not the Irish, so is missing a couple of features. It won't accept over-the-air updates and full text services.

cast_iron wrote: »
    General consensus is that the lidl special satellite systems are not great. The dish certainly won't stand up to much, and likes a bit of rust in no length. But for €50 all in, how wrong can you really go I suppose :)

Also, the tv you brought is not fully compliant with Saorview. It's for the UK digital platform, not the Irish, so is missing a couple of features. It won't accept over-the-air updates and full text services.

I know about the bracket quality,the bracket isnt the best,so Ill get a better galvanized bracket over the weekend for it.

RTE Aertel is working fine here for me.:)

Just checked the lottery numbers via Aertel.

I didnt win tonights Euromillions though.:(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Paddy if it was me I would not get that.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056284276

this box will combine DVBS/S2/T signals and you can arrange them in any order you want so you can mix and match the station, ie you can stay on the one box and move with ease from Standard Sat BBC2 to Standard Saorview RTE 1 to Sat BBC 1 HD and on to Saorview HD RTE2.

You can also record on it if you add a hard drive and the recordings can be viewed on a PC (no encryption) in MKV or AVI format.

There are a number of lads on the Sat forum who seem very helpful, I don't want to single out one but I have bought from them before, I have in the past bought full standard SAT units from Tony, dish receiver cable connections even frame fixers for the dish for under 100 euro, possibly less now.

But the box mentioned above is very good for a combi box, low energy in standby etc, but they will be more help on the sat forum then we are here. There maybe a better box now

having said that its good value for the dish and twin LNB, you could get it and the combi box I mentioned and have a spare box to run off your spare LNB connection

• Advertisement
Advertisement