Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ecommendations on dog training books and general dog care.

• 20-04-2012 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hey all,

Moving to a new house in a few weeks, great news is we finally have a house with a decent garden so we are planning on getting a dog.

I had a golden retriever when I was growing up but my dad did most of the training. Planning on getting a similar sized dog, probably a lab/collie/retriever cross (whatever they have at the rescue centre).

Just looking for any recommendations on books/websites people have used for training, or that they found worked well. I know there's loads of review sites out there but would like to hear your thoughts and ask questions.

Appreciate any thoughts, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

The Dog Listener - Jan Fennell

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

I find the best thing to do is go on you tube and do a general search an pick and choose the methods you like. I found a big difference between reading books etc bout different methods and then seeing them in action in a mini video really opened my eyes and I knew then there was no way I could implement certain ways with my guy.

Actually took a lot of simple training steps from one of those tiny Collins gem books on dogs and just changed things around according to how things worked for us. Like instead of stay - we find wait works much better as a command etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

Thanks for the tips.

That dogstardaily has some good stuff but it's very preachy at times.

Think I'll keep searching around and using what I think suits.

Now I just have to get the puppy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Maybe you could find something useful here http://www.dogsireland.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement