Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

living in the middle of nowhere

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

First off, forget UPC. You're not going to get a cable broadband service out there, because UPC don't service anywhere outside the major urban areas (and even inside many of those). In a rural location, you can forget about it.
    Icky Thump wrote: »
    i know that if its not available ill probabl;y get out of teh contract(its up in september).

It doesn't work like that either. If you move when still in your minimum term then UPC can (and most likely will) charge you the remainder of the contract in a termination fee, or maybe a fixed fee. Either way, moving location is not going to get you out of the contract without paying.

Check for a DSL service in your new area. Find a few phone numbers (if you can) and check those on eircom's website. That's probably your best chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

wll ill be going back to waterford in september anyway and living there part time for college. do you know if upc would ever suspend an account for a couple of months?? you know like stop the account now and continue it in september or something like that

yea i was thinking as much about it not being available out there. yea i think ill try finding some phone numbers and check it like that. thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bruree was promised ADSL by eircom in April 2007. 5 years later eircom has done nothing an won't even apologise to the people of Bruree. I'd say its Ripplecom or nothing out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I live pretty well in the middle of nowhere and had an Eircom landline and a dial up connection for years, but it was more or less impossible to surf the Internet and even getting into e-mail could sometimes take an hour. I asked about ADSL and things like that, but all the sut I ever got from the sullen rude cows at Eircom "customer service" was "no" or "we can't".:eek:

Then about two years ago I heard that 3 were offering a service in my part of Laois. I called them (freefone to Mumbai) and was told where to go for a stick modem and to sign up. A couple of days later I had broadband, and I didn't know myself. For about €20 a month. It's worked very well ever since, with only some problems due to network congestion on fairly rare occasions. Maybe I'm lucky that there is, as I've been told, a base station on top of the Heritage monstrosity in Killenard, about three kilometres as the crow flies from my house.

I'll leave it to your imagination what pleasure I got out of calling Eircom and telling them where they could stick their landline.:D:D

oooo i never heard of them. yea they seem to be available aswell in the area. bit more expensive than even eircom but definitly an option

• Advertisement

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I live pretty well in the middle of nowhere and had an Eircom landline and a dial up connection for years, but it was more or less impossible to surf the Internet and even getting into e-mail could sometimes take an hour. I asked about ADSL and things like that, but all the sut I ever got from the sullen rude cows at Eircom "customer service" was "no" or "we can't".:eek:

Then about two years ago I heard that 3 were offering a service in my part of Laois. I called them (freefone to Mumbai) and was told where to go for a stick modem and to sign up. A couple of days later I had broadband, and I didn't know myself. For about €20 a month. It's worked very well ever since, with only some problems due to network congestion on fairly rare occasions. Maybe I'm lucky that there is, as I've been told, a base station on top of the Heritage monstrosity in Killenard, about three kilometres as the crow flies from my house.

I'll leave it to your imagination what pleasure I got out of calling Eircom and telling them where they could stick their landline.:D:D

oh i bet:D

ive been trying to stay away from the mobile broadband though because i watch alot of football online:) guess ill have to become the village drunk. ironic since there is a rehab center not far from there lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

oh i bet

ive been trying to stay away from the mobile broadband though because i watch alot of football online:) guess ill have to become the village drunk. ironic since there is a rehab center not far from there lol
    Next time you are in the village, before you hit the demon drink, call into the supermarket and ask what them aerials on the roof are for, and who owns them, and it ain't Ripplecom, might provide a solution to your quest, just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭pm.

have to say if fairness to ripplecom they are one of very few expanding in rural ireland.... and the service i get from is great tbh

pm. wrote: »
    have to say if fairness to ripplecom they are one of very few expanding in rural ireland.... and the service i get from is great tbh

No, they are not really, what they are doing is buying up the small ISP's who have had enough, fed up of fighting the good fight, for small change, hence the mishmash of technology they use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

jor el wrote: »
    It doesn't work like that either. If you move when still in your minimum term then UPC can (and most likely will) charge you the remainder of the contract in a termination fee, or maybe a fixed fee. Either way, moving location is not going to get you out of the contract without paying.
    I've been told by two different UPC employees that a change of address to one where previous used services are unavailable means the contract can be escaped without penalty. One of them even advised me to pursue this option after I said that I was living in an address that I was to move from in a couple of months!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

http://www.qsat.ie/broadband

If your using the internet for the basics it might be a simple solution.

Salvation wrote: »
    http://www.qsat.ie/broadband

If your using the internet for the basics it might be a simple solution.
    The man was using a UPC 20Mb connection, and you are suggesting he go to Niall Quinn's balla$hit satellite, he has better options available to him in Bruree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

oh i bet:D

You won't be watching football online (or watching anything) with satellite or mobile with their pathetic caps. Given them as the only choice, Mobile is probably the better of the two if you are lucky and the connection status does depend on luck.

Avoid satellite like the plague...see http://www.tooway4you.eu/en/tooway-internet/fair-access-policy for instance for details.

As has been mentioned already ripplecom http://www.ripplecom.net/ should be available in that area.FWA is far more preferable to either of mobile or satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 reademandweep

The aerials on the shop are High Velocity Broadband....Charlie Plass. The shop will have a number for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

If you can't get fixed wireless or any fixed dsl service just go mobile broadband..

I streamed about 5 episodes of breaking bad last night in seconds without a glitch while being online on another laptop

Just find out which 3g mobile provider works best in the area for you. I get a consistent 3-5mb download pings about 50-60ms and uploads of 2-2.5mb

Works fine for streaming, football, gaming, youtube and most things are reasonable enough, 50gigs a month for 25 quid on meteor

Yeah it's not ideal for gaming or voip etc... but it gets the job done rather effectively for a mobile service if you can't get anything else it's probably the best way

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Enderol

Hi All,

Just moved to bruree myself and have mobile to see what reception I could get. Barely get 3 for phone calls (my current network), Vodafone had no service and eMobile/meteor only had EDGE network.

I'd like to get a decent bandwidth for netflix and such, but also because if i have decent internet i could work from home without too much difficulty abd save myself commuting time. so has their been any extra service come into the village over the last year and a half.

Ill prob ask the neighbours soon what service they are using anyway, but would appreciate any update.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

If you live in the middle of no where, you can be sure you won't be getting the likes of UPC [Fibre/Cable] there. Options would be:

Mobile Broadband
      Wireless Broadband [Line of Sight] (If available)
      Satellite
      Slight change of DSL possiblity

I live in the countryside just on the outskirts of Dublin, near the borders of Meath... and I can't get proper broadband either! :mad:

Advertisement