Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a new gaming P.C - little advice needed

Options
  • 20-04-2012 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

For starters, I'd pick a different case, change to 2500k and go for cheaper ram.

And this card, http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=57696&agid=1165

Also, you can clean install a upgrade version. So go with Software4Students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭andy85wsm

andy85wsm wrote: »

I find the case ugly with fans showing in the front. This case looks better and has had great reviews. http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=48895&agid=631

If you don't want to overclock, which if your a gamer you should(very easy to do), then go with a cheaper MB.

Cheaper RAM, http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44315&agid=1192

I have a 570 and love it but, the 7850 has better performance per watt and the extra VRAM may come in handy.
    The German site is ok. Very cheap if your doing a whole build. It comes highly recommended from the lads here

Yes I've done. Just Google it.;)

• Advertisement

No.
    Just clean install, It's easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

Another thing about the 7850 is it overclocks like a boss, some people have gotten 50% oc's. It nearly competes with the gtx580 at that standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

its silicon lottery. some can get 50%, some can get only 10%.

Overclocking got way safer and easyer these days, but its still can be dodgy (rare). manufacturers always leave themselfs some headroom for GPUs power and not pushing it to the limit so it would have longer life spam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

you say you don't want to overclock know, but in a few years instead of getting a whole new rig you could just bump up the performance with an overclock and get another few years out of the pc. When it's this easy I don't know why you wouldn't, it's a crime not to. So yes I'd say still go with the 7850.

is that 2500 or 2500K?

huge difference m8.

so why on earth you took z77 mobo?

sorry, but it is beyond stupidity ( no offence ) to save up 10eu on CPU, waste 30eu on mobo for overclocking and in the end loss out on 1 button push overclocking from 3.3ghz to 4.2ghz with super stable setup.

with stock you can go up to 4.0ghz. add a cooler for 25eu go up to 4.4-4.8ghz

if you dont overclock then just get h61 cheap ass mobo and 2400, save money if you do want to save money, because at this stage you go over the budget and with no benefit, but just handycapping yourself, and you pay for it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yes, but using another other than the stock cooler also does, so it's not like it's anything new.

Anyway, they're impossible to break. I've gone through three processors personally, and overclocked a lot more on other peoples' machines, and none of the processors have ever crapped out.

Good boy, I just put away my shotgun. As I was on my way to put you down ;).

Everyone is overclocking everything, then put it back to stock. It's hard to say if it was overclocked or no. It's more of a scaring tactics at this stage. I would not worry about it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

There's been a lot of debate about this. I'd say yes, but others might have other views, and they could be right. Too new to really tell, I suppose, but if it were me buying a new rig, I think I'd go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Serephucus wrote: »
    There's been a lot of debate about this. I'd say yes, but others might have other views, and they could be right. Too new to really tell, I suppose, but if it were me buying a new rig, I think I'd go for it.

Ya that's what nearly all the reviews are saying that for a new rig you might as well jump on the ivy bandwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭BillyCom

was thinking of changing from i5-2500k to i5-3570k for my build, but I noticed this on the wikipedia article for ivy bridge processors :

'Ivy Bridge's temperatures is reportedly 20°C higher compared to Sandy Bridge when overclocked, because instead of using fluxless solder to transfer heat from the die to the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS), Intel used Thermal Interface Materials (TIM) to cut cost. The thermal paste has much lower thermal conductivity, causing heat to build up on the die.[19][20][21] Intel has admitted the problem.[22]'

Doesn't bode well for overclocking..

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭luyolo

BillyCom wrote: »
    was thinking of changing from i5-2500k to i5-3570k for my build, but I noticed this on the wikipedia article for ivy bridge processors :

'Ivy Bridge's temperatures is reportedly 20°C higher compared to Sandy Bridge when overclocked, because instead of using fluxless solder to transfer heat from the die to the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS), Intel used Thermal Interface Materials (TIM) to cut cost. The thermal paste has much lower thermal conductivity, causing heat to build up on the die.[19][20][21] Intel has admitted the problem.[22]'

Doesn't bode well for overclocking..
    This happens when you go higher than 4.5ghz.

Advertisement