Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheffield United and Wales footballer Ched Evans found guilty of Rape

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

5 years Jail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

The girl couldn't remember how she got there, how about she doesn't drink if she can't handle it! And yes it says she thinks it got spiked, but doubt Evans would have any trouble pulling fit birds anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Samich wrote: »
    The girl couldn't remember how she got there, how about she doesn't drink if she can't handle it! And yes it says she thinks it got spiked, but doubt Evans would have any trouble pulling fit birds anyways.

more fool him then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Dude is ugly, but he could still pull most girls! Five years too short for this scumbag, had a career in football and throws it all away, moron!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

During Evans' evidence, he told the jury he had gone to the hotel, let himself into McDonald's room and watched his friend and the woman having sex.

It was claimed McDonald asked if his friend could "get involved", to which the woman said yes.

So he just randomly went to the hotel to watch them have sex :confused:

In fairness she might have said yes (she was probably out of the face as well), but what the fúck was he doing going to watch them having sex in the first place? Sounds suspicious to me.

Redzer7 wrote: »

In fairness she might have said yes (she was probably out of the face as well), but what the fúck was he doing going to watch them having sex in the first place? Sounds suspicious to me.

Well he was staying in the same room I'd say and was back after his night out.

If McDonald didn't remember the night would he have been raped too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Jaysus.. I remember he was a class youngster in FM09! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Only if Evans f*cked him too

Well it didn't mention in that piece that they were staying in the room and it didn't look that way to me
    The court heard that Evans, whose mother lives in Rhyl, had invited McDonald and others for a bank holiday night out in the seaside town on 29 May.

Because there was not enough space at Evans' mother's house, he booked McDonald into the hotel.

That sounded to me that Evans stayed at home and Evans booked the room for McDonald.

And yes possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Some disgraceful attitudes on display here. This rapist scumbag was found guilty in a court of law. I sincerely hope no club ever goes near him again.

A pathetic excuse of a man. Drink is no excuse.

I am pie wrote: »
    Some disgraceful attitudes on display here. This rapist scumbag was found guilty in a court of law. I sincerely hope no club ever goes near him again.

Exactly! If it was any other randomer in that link people would be quick to put them down and call them a scumbag, but just because he's a footballer people stand up for them? He was convicted ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

And it only took 3 posts to blame the woman. Nice

For what it's worth. McDonald got the cab that he was travelling in to pick up the woman when he saw her stumbling drunkenly along the road. He then phoned Evans saying that he'd "got a girl". They're a pair of scumbag predator rapists and I'm disappointed that they both didn't get convicted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

How did McDonald get off unpunished? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Complete fool. Deserves his time in jail if he's up to that ****e.

What a waste his 29 goals or so this season has been if he's not going to be around next year. End of his career and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Ched Evans.

Putting an all new meaning to the chant 'He scores when he wants.'

ASOT wrote: »
    Ched Evans.

Putting an all new meaning to the chant 'He scores when he wants.'

ASOT - Putting a new meaning to the phrase 'inappropriate, not funny, crass, etc etc etc...'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

ASOT - Putting a new meaning to the phrase 'inappropriate, not funny, crass, etc etc etc...'

In all fairness theres worse posts than mine in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

End of his career and rightly so.

I wouldn't be so sure. Lee Hughes walked straight out of jail for causing a death by dangerous driving, and signed a two-year contract at Oldham Athlethic.

Obviously I agree with you that he should never play football again at professional level, but there is still the chance that some lower division team struggling for goals when he gets out (which most likely will be closer to 2 years than 5) may take a chance on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

As a Wednesday fan its a shocking announcement

I think we want to see their most prolific goalscorer in 30 years dissapear from the face of the earth but this is just shocking. Mainly for the girl involved. From the evidence thats been provided he was alleged to have left by a fire escape. That doesnt sound very innocent. She was meant to be drunk and the idea was that it was his word against hers.
    I think the only people that heard all the facts were the 12 jurors and theyve found one not guilty and the other guilty.
    Makes it seem its not as straight forward as people think.

United fans have been singing 'he sh*gs who he wants' for the last few weeks. I dont think even they could sink that low on saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In fairness it ranks fairly low on the scale of odd sexual behaviour people engage in.

Surely there was more evidence than whats in the story anyway? Thats sketchy at best. She says she doesnt know what happened, they say she consented. Those two added together dont equal rape.

In fairness it ranks fairly low on the scale of odd sexual behaviour people engage in.

Surely there was more evidence than whats in the story anyway? Thats sketchy at best. She says she doesnt know what happened, they say she consented. Those two added together dont equal rape.

Obviously there's more evidence than in the story, which is why he has been convicted. There's no point in any of us trying to say what happened anyways as we don't know the full ins and outs. All I'm saying is it sounds very suspicious.

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Obviously I agree with you that he should never play football again at professional level, .

I dont know about that. Isnt the point of sending him to jail to punish him? Should he be allowed have any job? Or just not play football? Whats the difference?

Obviously there's more evidence than in the story, which is why he has been convicted. There's no point in any of us trying to say what happened anyways as we don't know the full ins and outs. All I'm saying is it sounds very suspicious.

Surely the details to report would be the ones that prove he commited rape?

Was there a thread on this at the time? Theres usually one. Surprised I hadnt heard about it before.

She says she doesnt know what happened, they say she consented. Those two added together dont equal rape.

A criminal conviction for rape = He is a rapist !

[QOUTE] Makes it seem its not as straight forward as people think[/QOUTE]

It's very straightforward. A jury heard all the available facts and convicted this animal.

Is there really room in the soccer forum for snide insinuation about the character of the victim of this horrible crime?

Really? Come on lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Hear hear!

Surely the details to report would be the ones that prove he commited rape?

Was there a thread on this at the time? Theres usually one. Surprised I hadnt heard about it before.

Well I'd imagine some of the facts haven't being reported yet, would you not think so yourself?

Well I'd imagine some of the facts haven't being reported yet, would you not think so yourself?

The reporters are in the court are they not? I just would have thought if they were printign the story of what happened, it would be a pretty important part.
    A criminal conviction for rape = He is a rapist !

If it's overturned on appeal, is he still a rapist?

I'm not saying he didnt do it, but the courts arent always right. Which is why I questioned if details were missing from the story in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I dont know about that. Isnt the point of sending him to jail to punish him? Should he be allowed have any job? Or just not play football? Whats the difference?

Having a criminal record, especially for a crime as serious as rape, can perclude a person from getting certin jobs. Jobs such as the police force, teachng, nursing and so forth ask for your criminal record when applying, and you can forget about getting work in the United States.

Re professional football clubs, it's just really my opinion that somebody convicted of rape or an equally serious crime should not be rewarded with a dream job in the public eye on their release. A terrible example to be setting and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Haha. Wishful thinking. He'll be back out playing pro again once he's released.

Look at Joey Barton (highlights include stubbing out a cigar in a mans eye, prison sentence for ABH). Clubs still lining up to sign him on his release.

How about Lee Hughes, hit and run causing death. Not a problem. Back playing pro for Oldham within 2 weeks of his release.

Football clubs love a bargain and no doubt ther'll be some League one side looking to pick Evans up for a song when he's eventually released. It'll be a long time before football is a game where job applications have a proviso of 'scumbags need not apply'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

ah, the old inny-outy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

CCTV footage played to the jury showed McDonald being approached by the complainant and getting into a taxi which she flagged down.
    She drunkenly approached him.
    He then took the woman, whom he and Evans had earlier seen fall over in a kebab shop, to a Premier Inn hotel room that Evans had booked in McDonald's name.
    He knew she was drunk, so just some easy action for him. No intened harm yet.
    During the drive to the hotel, McDonald called someone on his phone to say he was with a girl.
    Normal enough, just to let them know where he was and ok.
    The complainant had been drinking wine, double vodkas with lemonade and had also had a sambuca shot.
    In an interview with the police, she said she believed her drink was spiked that night because she was used to drinking heavily and had never 'blacked out' before.
    Having never blacked out is no excuse for thinking you were spiked.
    The court heard that McDonald and the woman walked into the hotel 'linking arms" and went to his room.
    He might have being holding her up because she was so drunk?
    McDonald said they sat on the bed and she immediately began touching his genitals.
    Shes drunk, she approached him, she wanted something.

Evans arrived shortly afterwards, went to the room and found the pair having sex.
    McDonald claimed that Evans asked if he could get involved, while Evans claimed it was McDonald who asked him if he wanted to have sex with the woman.
    This proves there was something very dodgy about the situation.

Now this is not to say i dont agree with the sentence, but to think that a man could go to jail for five years for having sex with a drunk girl who approached him and later claimed that she was very drunk and spiked is a bit mad.

But you never know what these footballers are upto these days, so id somewhat agree with the sentence.

The quotes are from the daily mail :
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2132704/Sheffield-Uniteds-Ched-Evans-jailed-years-rape.html#ixzz1sb954QNx

mcw92 wrote: »

Now this is not to say i dont agree with the sentence, but to think that a man could go to jail for five years for having sex with a drunk girl who approached him and later claimed that she was very drunk and spiked is a bit mad.

He isn't going to prison though, he was cleared. Evans is the one going down for it, and he wasn't approached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Thread is full of teenaged droolers. Good luck.

keane2097 wrote: »

What has anyone's age got to do with anything?

Great input to the thread btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Hope Cheds goalkeeping skills are good when it comes to handling soap :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

He isn't going to prison though, he was cleared. Evans is the one going down for it, and he wasn't approached.

Ah thats where im wrong, ya either way Evans is in the wrong so he deserves to be jailed.
    Was also wondering how McDonald wasn't accused but I've cleared it up for myself without realizing!

this for me was the most interesting piece that was heard at the beginning.

""Evans, who had been with his girlfriend for 18 months at the time, left through a fire escape shortly afterwards.""

mcw92 wrote: »
    Ah thats where im wrong, ya either way Evans is in the wrong so he deserves to be jailed.!

Am I missing something? According to the papers quoted, he went in to a room where his mate was having sex with the girl, he asks can he join and is told yes, so he does. How is that a reason to jail him on its own?

There must be some other evidence otherwise it appears to be a flimsy enough story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not getting into the Evans part, minefield here. But there definitely must be something else that came up that hasn't been reported. McDonald was with the girl first, started having sex with her first, and from what it appears, both him and Evans had sex with her when Evans arrived. So how is McDonald cleared?

• Advertisement

this for me was the most interesting piece that was heard at the beginning.

""Evans, who had been with his girlfriend for 18 months at the time, left through a fire escape shortly afterwards.""

If anything, legging it out the back door fits in perfectly with a bloke cheating on his girlfriend.

Giggsy probably had to scarper out the back of his brothers house a few times as young Rhodri was coming in the front.:)

She should take care of her drinks then or don't drink if she can't handle it :rolleyes:

And it only took 3 posts to blame the woman. Nice

For what it's worth. McDonald got the cab that he was travelling in to pick up the woman when he saw her stumbling drunkenly along the road. He then phoned Evans saying that he'd "got a girl". They're a pair of scumbag predator rapists and I'm disappointed that they both didn't get convicted.

Also it's not just because he's a footballer, this happens way more often than you think.

Woman gets drunk, has sex with a fella, can't remember it. Rape.

Man gets drunk, has sex with a girl, can't remember it. No problem.

Also it's not just because he's a footballer, this happens way more often than you think.

Let me guess, you think Anders Breivik was just mucking around with fireworks?

Let me guess, you think Anders Breivik was just mucking around with fireworks?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

keane2097 wrote: »

Using the same method you used to decipher another posters age, the 97 in your username makes you 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

You assume only women get Raped ?

You assume only women get Raped ?

Quite the opposite.

Man has sex with a dirty bird, can't remember it. Is it deemed rape? No.

Same thing happens with a girl, she says it's rape.

If she at any time said she'd have sex with him it isn't rape. Can't remember it? Don't drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Moral outrage doesn't fit neatly in to football culture. Barton was referenced earlier in the thread and it's a good comparison. The man has done some truly scummy things down the years but now is seen as a reformed man by many, his opinions lapped up by a great number. The Guardian even had a fawning feature piece on him last weekend. The public love a bad boy turned good narrative.

Another club will pick him up because essentially football is a business.

In summation people have short memories and business is business. That doesn't excuse what he done, it's just reality.

Aidric wrote: »
    Moral outrage doesn't fit neatly in to football culture. Barton was referenced earlier in the thread and it's a good comparison. The man has done some truly scummy things down the years but now is seen as a reformed man by many, his opinions lapped up by a great number. The Guardian even had a fawning feature piece on him last weekend. The public love a bad boy turned good narrative.

Another club will pick him up because essentially football is a business.

In summation people have short memories and business is business. That doesn't excuse what he done, it's just reality.

Also there are views in society that once someone serves their time that's their punishment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement