Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheffield United and Wales footballer Ched Evans found guilty of Rape

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

What I don't understand is how they found McDonald not guilty. Both had the same evidence against them, so how is only 1 guilty? Surely if she was too drunk to consent to sex with Evans she was too drunk to do likewise with McDonald.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Crackle wrote: »
    What I don't understand is how they found McDonald not guilty. Both had the same evidence against them, so how is only 1 guilty? Surely if she was too drunk to consent to sex with Evans she was too drunk to do likewise with McDonald.

working in a legal capacity myself, there simply must have been more evidence to this other than her sheer intoxication. There simply must be.

Intoxication does not negate consent legally, so either Evans is of seriously questionable character or else there is evidence that has not been made public just yet, in order to protect the complainant.

If her intoxication negated consent, then McDonald is in trouble aswell.

If theres not more damning evidence, then I am trully baffled and its setting a new precedent where intoxication can negate someones consent, which is extremely dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

I'm very skeptical to be honest.

The amount of footballers who are accused of rape is very high. Van Persie, J.Evans, C.Ronaldo, David Goodwillie, Carlton Cole, the three lads from Leicester; Paul Dickov, Keith Gillespie and Frank Sinclair, Jody Morris are just some of the names that come to mind.

Just seems a bit fishy that the friend got off, and the history of false accusations, as well as the fact that the evidence doesn't seem at all 100 percent conclusive, makes me quite skeptical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Based on what is available for us to read, I don't know how he got convicted.

*Hate these threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Crackle wrote: »

from what i can understand, she went willingly with macdonald, he didnt force her to go. they had their fun. ched called his brother and his mate and rolled her over and took advantage while they filmed it on their mobile.

im guessing the fact macdonald was on a promise he was acquitted and cheds actions deemed him to have not had consent which is rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

from what i can understand, she went willingly with macdonald, he didnt force her to go. they had their fun. ched called his brother and his mate and rolled her over and took advantage while they filmed it on their mobile.

im guessing the fact macdonald was on a promise he was acquitted and cheds actions deemed him to have not had consent which is rape.

But i thought she was too drunk to say no?

amiable wrote: »
    But i thought she was too drunk to say no?

well i can only guess that she went with macdonald willingly. she wasnt forced to go with him and maybe this was his(and the jurys) interpretation of consent.
    I think ched took advantage of the situation and as she had no knowledge of this that is rape.

i think a 12-0 from the jury on both counts says there is more to this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Well Sheffield United are going straight back down then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Aidric wrote: »
    Moral outrage doesn't fit neatly in to football culture. Barton was referenced earlier in the thread and it's a good comparison.The man has done some truly scummy things down the years but now is seen as a reformed man by many,his opinions lapped up by a great number. The Guardian even had a fawning feature piece on him last weekend. The public love a bad boy turned good narrative.

Amazing how many people have been fooled by this. It's no surprise that his Twitter account was created just days after he hired a manager to recreate his public image, but yet very few seem to click on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Call me cynical, but I dont think he will serve 5 years, and I would not be surprised to see him get a job in football again either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kryogen wrote: »
    Call me cynical, but I dont think he will serve 5 years, and I would not be surprised to see him get a job in football again either.

No need to be cynical, no one evers serves their full sentence for anything.

could be difficult being on a sex offenders list me thinks.

could be difficult being on a sex offenders list me thinks.

Marlon King?

No need to be cynical, no one evers serves their full sentence for anything.

Oh I dont know, life without parole gets served to its entirety, but thats not the part I may be being cynical about, if he keeps himself fit, he will play again imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Samich wrote: »
    Quite the opposite.

Man has sex with a dirty bird, can't remember it. Is it deemed rape? No.

Same thing happens with a girl, she says it's rape.

If she at any time said she'd have sex with him it isn't rape. Can't remember it? Don't drink.

It seems that you have a serious beef with the idea that an intoxicated woman can perhaps want to have sex with someone but wind up being raped? I would say 'person' in the previous line but it seems your problem is particularly with women.

Would you rather rape just involved grabbing joggers in the park and punching them in the face a few times to make them vulnerable? Easier for you to understand?

• Advertisement

He'll probably serve 3 years I'd imagine. Is Marlon King on the sex offenders registar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

He'll probably serve 3 years I'd imagine. Is Marlon King on the sex offenders registar?

yup gonna be awkward with mascots next season if they come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I seen in a paper he was too drunk to consent either, whens she getting imprisoned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Complete fool. Deserves his time in jail if he's up to that ****e.

What a waste his 29 goals or so this season has been if he's not going to be around next year. End of his career and rightly so.
    It should be the end of his career, but you only have to look at the case of Lee Hughes to know that football is a more forgiving atmosphere than other areas of society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Hughes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Paully D wrote: »
    Amazing how many people have been fooled by this. It's no surprise that his Twitter account was created just days after he hired a manager to recreate his public image, but yet very few seem to click on.

The point remains the same though. The public have lapped it up, pr spin or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

How I'm reading this is :
    Wonam to Man A - Lets have sex
    Man A & Woman have sex
    Man B enters the room, asks to join in.
    Man A agrees, woman does not
    Woman realises Man B is having sex with her, wtf? Kicks off.
    Man B retreats & runs out of the door.

Add to that all the drink etc and you can see the difficulty of the situation. Regardless of Man A agreeing to him joining in, the woman also has to agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Don't think there's much of a point discussing the verdict, only the court had full access to all the details and they obviously had enough to prove guilt on Mr. Evans' side. If he is unhappy about the verdict he will appeal. And whatever happened that night he obviously did something wrong, whether it was morally or legally wrong was a question for the courts.
    I'm happy enough anyways with the verdict, how often do we hear of professionals sports people, be it soccer, rugby, golf or whatever, getting away witth crimes just because of their athletic ability. I say this with no affinity whatsoever to Ched Evans.

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16214315

Sheffield United has launched an investigation into comments made on Twitter by footballer Connor Brown about the Ched Evans rape case.

It follows a complaint to North Wales Police by a leading rape charity, which said the alleged comments were "profoundly disturbing".
    Sheffield United and Wales striker Evans, 23, was jailed for five years at Caernarfon Crown Court on Friday after being found guilty of raping a woman who was "too drunk to consent".
    Reserve team player Brown, 19, sparked fury by posting a series of insults about the victim on the social networking site.
    It is also believed that he named her.
    Rape and other sexual assault victims are guaranteed the legal right to lifetime anonymity.
    Holly Dustin, director of the End Violence Against Women coalition, and Rape Crisis England and Wales, said: "It is profoundly disturbing that the victim in the Ched Evans trial has been named and abused on Twitter and other social media sites.
    "It has long been law that rape complainants are protected by lifetime anonymity and those who have named her have been reported to the police for committing a criminal offence.
    "This raises serious questions about the adequacy of the criminal justice system to deal with offences that occur online and we are calling for an urgent review of laws and practices."
    In a statement on their website, Sheffield United said: "An investigation is under way into social media comments made by reserve team player Connor Brown."
    Evans admitted having sex with the victim, then aged 19, at a hotel in north Wales last May.
    In her evidence, the woman said she has no memory of the incident and the prosecution argued she was too drunk to consent to sexual intercourse.
    Evans' co-accused, Port Vale defender Clayton McDonald, 23, who also admitted having sex with the victim, was found not guilty.
    Ms Dustin added: "We want to see football clubs and the Football Association take a strong stance against sexism in the sport.
    "We also want the government to take concerted action to address attitudes that condone violence."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just came across the PFA awards on sky sports. Was this held last night? They named Evans in the league 1 team of the season. Thought they would have quietly left him out and replaced him or ar ethe winners published before the awards?

EDIT, the Sky website has a considerably shorter paragraph for Evans than the others.

"Ched Evans (Sheffield United): The Welshman has amassed 29 goals this term but his season ended in disgrace when he was convicted of rape and sentenced to five years in prison"
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/7684821/League-One-XI

It was a footballing decision not a moral one - Gordon Taylor, PFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

So footballer Ched Evans has been jailed for having sex with a woman who was "too drunk to consent."I'm glad to hear that drunk people are no longer legally responsible for their actions.Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to down a bottle of wine then drive my car on the wrong side of the motorway.

Saw this earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

niallo27 wrote: »
    So footballer Ched Evans has been jailed for having sex with a woman who was "too drunk to consent."I'm glad to hear that drunk people are no longer legally responsible for their actions.Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to down a bottle of wine then drive my car on the wrong side of the motorway.

Saw this earlier.

Surely it means you can't take advantage of someone in an intoxicated state, rather than they have a carte blanche to do what they want????

Saw this earlier.

Another way to say it is, a welsh man named Ched Evans has been jailed for raping a woman who was too drunk to be considered of sound mind.

Boggles the mind on here alot.

Another way to say it is, a welsh man named Ched Evans has been jailed for raping a woman who was too drunk to be considered of sound mind.

Boggles the mind on here alot.

How was he to know she was not of sound mine, it seems like a very harsh sentence to me compared to other cases. There must be more to this case, if a woman says yes to sex it's hard to think hang on is she too drunk.

How was he to know she was not of sound mine, it seems like a very harsh sentence to me compared to other cases. There must be more to this case, if a woman says yes to sex it's hard to think hang on is she too drunk.

It seems to me you have not actually read the report.

• Advertisement

It seems to me you have not actually read the report.

No I have not just what was on the BBC website.
    She wasn't targeted.
    She wasn't hurt or forced.
    She was reported to have consented.
    She can't remember anything that happened.

What am I missing here.

tbh, i cant be arsed filling you in, google it. look back through the thread. dont. your missing alot.

tbh, i cant be arsed filling you in, google it. look back through the thread. dont. your missing alot.

I have read all the thread and I read all the BBC reports, from what I have read I can't see how they convicted him beyond reasonable doubt of rape.

read them all again?

start with where you have a misguided notion that she consented to sex with him. Night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

read them all again?

start with where you have a misguided notion that she consented to sex with him. Night

It was claimed she consented, just like she "feared" her drink was spiked.

I'm of the opinion that if she said yes to doing it it's not rape. Can't handle her drink, don't drink.

*slow clap* pretty sure everyone on the thread knows your opinion buddy, Im too tired to be polite or go through this with you.

*slow clap* pretty sure everyone on the thread knows your opinion buddy, Im too tired to be polite or go through this with you.

good lad

read them all again?

It was alleged that she consented, she can't remember if she did or not. Im not some kind of rapist apologist, I think it's the most vile of crimes, I just can't see the evidence here for a conviction.

If Evans couldn't remember the night and feared his drink was spiked, would he be raped too? Doubt it would be seen that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It was alleged that she consented, she can't remember if she did or not. Im not some kind of rapist apologist, I think it's the most vile of crimes, I just can't see the evidence here for a conviction.

The problem was the the 2 footballers seemed a bit unsure on how she consented, conflicting stories.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Not only are those who post on Boards football knowledge gods, they're legal experts too. Go figure!

dsmythy wrote: »
    Not only are those who post on Boards football knowledge gods, they're legal experts too. Go figure!

Maybe people on boards shouldn't bother posting opinions.
    Wouldn't it be a very exciting place then.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭wardie101

Freaky coincidence in that it was evans Prdew was talking about here !!!

http://www.balls.ie/2012/04/23/eerie-coincidence-in-this-alan-pardew-match-of-the-day-slip-up-video/

dsmythy wrote: »

Why have a thread on it then?

K-9 wrote: »
    The problem was the the 2 footballers seemed a bit unsure on how she consented, conflicting stories.

What was it?

Evans asked could he join in, and McDonald asked her could his friend join?

Both could have happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Samich wrote: »
    What was it?

Evans asked could he join in, and McDonald asked her could his friend join?

Both could have happened?

Yeah, being consistent, you can't hold it against the woman for not remembering if one of the defendants couldn't remember either, and that is presuming one of them was right. Anyway, it's a far too nuanced subject for Soccer! :D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Sheff Utd fans plan a minute's applause for convicted rapist Ched Evans in the 35th minute vs Stevenage for his 35 goals this season according to The Daily Mail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sheff Utd fans plan a minute's applause for convicted rapist Ched Evans in the 35th minute vs Stevenage for his 35 goals this season according to The Daily Mail

Morons if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

It's not like he died or anything, he's found guilty of rape.

I can't believe that they'd do that.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Morons if true.

100% agree. There's quite a clambering of support from their fans on twitter.

It's quite shocking. some are so stupid and have posted stuff like #Justicforched

• Advertisement
Advertisement