Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What can the ipad to that a laptop can't do?

• 20-04-2012 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Thinking about getting a Ipad 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It's more about usability than function tbh. The iPad is an absolute joy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

banquo wrote: »
    It's more about usability than function tbh. The iPad is an absolute joy to use.

Access to xbmc ? Whats the battery like?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

James__10 wrote: »

Nothing. But it's small, light, cool running, has great battery life and can be far more convenient to use than a laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Nothing. But it's small, light, cool running, has great battery life and can be far more convenient to use than a laptop.

This, don't forget about the App Store. It's the apps that make an iOS device special.

But ask what a laptop can do that an iPad can't and you'll get a list as long as your arm.

Having only gotten an ipad 3 recently, I would say, that it is great to do simple things like twitter, email, facebook etc.

The only time I now turn on my laptop is when I have to use MS Office(although I'm sure there is an office app if I looked) The landscape keybaord on ipad is simply amazing! It's almost same size as letters from a standard 15" laptop.

Can type very quickly, and autocorrect is brilliant.

Battery is brilliant too, although charging can take a long time, but it lasts so long, so it's worth it.

Edit:
    Forgot to mention games! I have put hours into the likes of GTAIII (bargain at €4!). It runs very well on ipad!

• Advertisement

Having only gotten an ipad 3 recently, I would say, that it is great to do simple things like twitter, email, facebook etc.

The only time I now turn on my laptop is when I have to use MS Office(although I'm sure there is an office app if I looked) The landscape keybaord on ipad is simply amazing! It's almost same size as letters from a standard 15" laptop.

Can type very quickly, and autocorrect is brilliant.

Battery is brilliant too, although charging can take a long time, but it lasts so long, so it's worth it.

Edit:
    Forgot to mention games! I have put hours into the likes of GTAIII (bargain at €4!). It runs very well on ipad!

What are the best apps? Would it be possible to use it without a wifi connection ie outdoors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What about being a touchscreen?

Surely that's a pro....the interface!

And it doesn't get smudgy!

I would like an iPad to compliment my Laptop, and for portability...never to replace it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Thinking about getting a Ipad 3

Go from standby to ready to use in 0 seconds :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What are the best apps? Would it be possible to use it without a wifi connection ie outdoors?

Really what are the best app's is an impossible question to answer.

All depends on what you want and your own taste.

Most apps do not require wifi, but some that require maps etc do.

As will radio/video streaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Get a Transformer Prime + keyboard if you want the best of both worlds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I'd never buy a tablet to replace my laptop. If you do, you will be disappointed. If you understand that a tablet is great for web browsing and other sorts of light work, then you won't be disappointed. Too many people have the idea that it will replace their laptop, it won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

dorgasm wrote: »
    I'd never buy a tablet to replace my laptop. If you do, you will be disappointed. /QUOTE]

This is a pretty daft statement to make without understanding exactly what the OP would use an iPad for.

The overwhelming majority of laptop users never use anything other than email, browse the net and use iTunes. An iPad does those things really really well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Kensington wrote: »
    Go from standby to ready to use in 0 seconds :D
    I think that's my most unanticipated benefit.

Grab it, swipe, you are GOOD TO GO.

Now when I take out the laptop to do Lightroom stuff I almost put my back out lifting it and have to sit impatiently for a couple of minutes while the fecker boots up (and shuts down).

The only drawback I find is the lack of a file system that makes simple tasks like uploading or linking to an image an ordeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

OP ever tried to use laptop while on the jacks?

srsly78 wrote: »
    Probably the best point of the entire thread lol :D

Whats the sky go quality like on the ipad? Would it be better than on the laptop?

I'll be getting the ipad in my local expert shop that way I can pay it off every week.

Whats the sky go quality like on the ipad? Would it be better than on the laptop?

I'll be getting the ipad in my local expert shop that way I can pay it off every week.
    Its not too bad. Just tried it there, and flicked on an episode of Inside Gatwick.

Screenshot (Don't want to embed, as its massive):
    http://imgur.com/21BuK.jpg

Edit:
    Here is Bones.
    http://imgur.com/tq2Vo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

My brother in law boughht my 2 year old a ipad for xmas and i was very negative about i pads' i have to say i was sssooooo wrong' its a joy to use' the internet is ligtning fast on it compared to my laptop' and like a poster has already said you can sit on the toilet with it, carry it around the house, Im hooked , i always said it was a waste of money' a laptop can do so much ,,,, why why why ' GET ONE , youll never look back

• Advertisement

Yep.

Good stuff hopefully the local expert shop has them in stock on Monday morning :pac:

Is there any need for a cover/case? Will the Charger be with the Ipad?

Good stuff hopefully the local expert shop has them in stock on Monday morning :pac:

Is there any need for a cover/case? Will the Charger be with the Ipad?
    Yes charged will come wit it. My laptop isn't powerful enough to charge it, have to plug it into wall.

Also, I would recommend a case and screen protector. Keep it looking nice.

Can someone tell me what 4g is?

Basically, it's faster the 3G.

It the next generation network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's false advertising. It's only "4G" in the US. It's incompatible with non-US 4G networks, meaning it's really 3G. Several countries are taking legal action against Apple at the moment.

I'll defiantly be picking up the Ipad on Monday can't wait:)

It will be very handy for browsing the web, watching movies and off course SkyGo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

srsly78 wrote: »

And i bet your posting on FB while on the jacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I just got one last week.. My trusty laptop went on fire! So I had to replace. The brother convinced me to go for it.. It is fantastic.

Only thing I can't seem to be able todo is see google streetview and aertv. If anyone has managed this cd u please let me know tnx.

FaceTime is great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

StreetView is built into maps. Try dropping a pin on a major road and there should be a little red button that takes you to StreetView.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

banquo wrote: »
    StreetView is built into maps. Try dropping a pin on a major road and there should be a little red button that takes you to StreetView.

Hi and many thanks.. So easy when you know how!!

Advertisement