Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What can the ipad to that a laptop can't do?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

No worries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Would I be ok in getting the 8gb model? I'd be just using the ipad for browsing the internet, sky go and a few other apps.

James__10 wrote: »
    Would I be ok in getting the 8gb model? I'd be just using the ipad for browsing the internet, sky go and a few other apps.
    You can't get an 8GB model. Lowest you can get is 16GB ;)

You can't get an 8GB model. Lowest you can get is 16GB ;)

Sorry my heads gone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jeanie n

Thinking about getting a Ipad 3

I have my iPad about A month now. I needed a new laptop but opted for iPad3. I have no regrets only i m sorry I didn't purchase one sooner. Very convenient for surfing web, pages app its great for writing essays etc. Laptops are so awkward, I suppose it depends on your usage. :)

• Advertisement

jeanie n wrote: »
    I have my iPad about A month now. I needed a new laptop but opted for iPad3. I have no regrets only i m sorry I didn't purchase one sooner. Very convenient for surfing web, pages app its great for writing essays etc. Laptops are so awkward, I suppose it depends on your usage. :)

I could spend hours on end on the laptop so I think i'll get good use out of the Ipad.

Heading into the store tomorrow hopefully its in stock. :D

Looking forward to see what sky go is like on it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Thinking about getting a Ipad 3

Access to xbmc ? Whats the battery like?
    What are the best apps? Would it be possible to use it without a wifi connection ie outdoors?
    Whats the sky go quality like on the ipad? Would it be better than on the laptop?
    Is there any need for a cover/case? Will the Charger be with the Ipad?
    Can someone tell me what 4g is?

No offence OP but judging how you can't seem to use Google to answer your basic questions then I can't see how an iPad would fall short of your needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

dorgasm wrote: »
    I'd never buy a tablet to replace my laptop. If you do, you will be disappointed. If you understand that a tablet is great for web browsing and other sorts of light work, then you won't be disappointed. Too many people have the idea that it will replace their laptop, it won't.

You are definitely right but it's a close run thing imo. I use my iPad when travelling on business and it's a joy to use. I use QuickOffice Pro for my docs and DropBox for storing documents to edit. I agree that it's not 100% ideal to replace a laptop but with the right apps it's very close.

So if you only use a laptop to surf, email, play music and write the occasional document, presentation or spreadsheet then an iPad (or other tablet) may just be your best choice. An iPad is a great tool for audiobooks and readig via iBooks or Kindle app too. A laptop is not half as convenient for reading ebooks on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

My brother in Law bought my 2 year old a ipad for xmas ......
    He's a keeper:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

dodzy wrote: »
    He's a keeper:D
    overpaid flashy bastard more like:D

• Advertisement

The shop won't have the ipad in stock for another 4-5 weeks :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Jarren wrote: »

Aye, but I can pay it off weekly in my local expert store so i'll have to wait for another month :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That will probably work out very expensive. Just save up and get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭lavine7

That will probably work out very expensive. Just save up and get one.

And by the time you've saved up the latest one will be close to release so you could wait for that! :D

In all seriousness though, they are well worth the money for the many reason mentioned above.
    However in your case, perhaps a 2nd hand iPad 2 off adverts etc. or a refurb off the apple store could suit you better than splashing out full price on the new one which in all honesty hasn't improved enough from iPad 2 to make it worth the extra price.

Your opinion on that may differ of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Can always sell a kidney to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭James_LWAU

srsly78 wrote: »
    Can always sell a kidney to get one.

I might have to:pac: I'll have to go back in and enquire again. Can't see how it takes a month to get it ordered in :/

Advertisement