Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a Dabinett apple tree - potted?

Options
  • 20-04-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

I recently bought a Dabinett and a couple of other apple trees online in bare root form.
    When I opened the package there was mould on all the trees and only one of them seems to have survived, the Dabinett doesn't seem to be growing at all.
    All the trees had lovely green buds on them when packed I guess but the weekend in the post office seems to have been too long and all the buds have gone black now :(

So if there are are any nurseries in Leinster that I could drive to and pick up one that would fit in the car then that would be ideal. Does anyone know of a nursery I could find one of these trees in ?

Thanks

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Supercell wrote: »
    I recently bought a Dabinett and a couple of other apple trees online in bare root form.
    When I opened the package there was mould on all the trees and only one of them seems to have survived, the Dabinett doesn't seem to be growing at all.
    All the trees had lovely green buds on them when packed I guess but the weekend in the post office seems to have been too long and all the buds have gone black now :(

So if there are are any nurseries in Leinster that I could drive to and pick up one that would fit in the car then that would be ideal. Does anyone know of a nursery I could find one of these trees in ?

Thanks

I'm no expert but for what it's worth I planted a very strong 6 foot and sturdy bare root apple tree last November that looked very dead indeed until 2/3 weeks ago, buds looked mouldy and black/grey even - has bounced back since and is getting really green and leafy - I watered it a lot if there was more than one dry day and gave it a good scattering of 10 10 20.

I wasn't far from digging up and ditching at one point - especially since all others planted at same time were 2 months ahead

Best of luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

Digging up (pardon the pun) an old post but, did you ever find a place? I'm looking to purchase two of them for my garden?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

future forests have dabinett listed here:
    http://www.futureforests.net/br_fruit_tree.htm

looks like you may have to ring for availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Future forests is the place, actually the trees all survived including the Dabinett :), don't have any preconceptions about using them as a cooker or eater, the fruit is really really bitter, good for cider though !

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Fruit and Nut over in Westport list them too:
    http://www.fruitandnut.ie/applevarieties.html

• Advertisement

Hi, thank you forall the suggestions. I probably should have been more specific. Am looking for a small rootstock. The places mentioned carry large / full size trees. Found a place in the UK orangepippen which does m9 so ordered from there. Will let you know how the delivery works out.

Hi All,

just to wrap this up - two healthy looking trees were delivered to my door 5 days later. They are now planted, so hopefully in a couple of years will start to bear fruit!
    Company was very efficient to deal with - would have preferred to go Irish, but couldn't find the variety, on the root stock I wanted.

Advertisement