Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the themeanest shops or companies in the midlands

Options
  • 20-04-2012 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

example one shop in the big freeze last year put up there prices for containers to carry water

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

The old Newsfare shops in Athlone run by a man with a bushy tailed surname.

Also The Gordon Clarke Sound Factory. £350 on a guitar and the man wouldn't give ya a plectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

The old Newsfare shops in Athlone run by a man with a bushy tailed surname.

Also The Gordon Clarke Sound Factory. £350 on a guitar and the man wouldn't give ya a plectrum.

I've got plenty of free plectrums from that guy over the years. Alot nicer than the other shop

Are you referring to it since 1998 onwards? I'm referring to it in the mid 90s. Think it changed hands in the early/mid 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

You didn't get a free plectrum in the mid 90s.....hold a grudge much?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

+100 on that one!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Yeah + on old Flash Gordon. Wasn't the nicest guy either.

The shop that's down across from the snug (beside where Marie's mini-mart used to be) charges a fortune for things. I paid €1.50 in there for a litre of milk whereas it's half that in most places. It was only a day off expiry too. McCormack's used to be fairly tight as well.

Dick Spring in AMPM too.

Harry O Brien who ran Retreat Stores for a few years. Was often sent to the shop for the newspaper by the father and Harry would give me the change back in penny sweets. Tough job explaining to my dad that I ate the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Harvey Norman in Mullingar
    Spent over 2k in there in the last 11 months and they wont even throw in an Ireland jersey with an iPad i bought there last week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

darokane wrote: »
    Spent over 2k in there in the last 11 months and they wont even throw in an Ireland jersey with an iPad i bought there last week

Can hardly call that meaness seeing as the jersey offer was with the purchase of a tv, not an ipad

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Can hardly call that meaness seeing as the jersey offer was with the purchase of a tv, not an ipad

Considering i rang them up before i drove there to ask could i get it i would call it mean, also considering i'm buying another ipad this weekend it was poor customer service on there part

• Advertisement

Considering i rang them up before i drove there to ask could i get it i would call it mean, also considering i'm buying another ipad this weekend it was poor customer service on there part

Well if you weren't happy why do give the business?

Always found Harvey Norman reasonable for bargaining when spending a considerable amount. Got a free blu-ray player with a tv and stand before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

What was the offer? A jersey with a TV. Not with an ipad. You could buy 3 ipads, you still did not take up the correct offer.

They have no obligation. They want to sell TV's not ipads, hence the jersey offer.

Jaysus, self entitlement at its best

Who did you speak to by the way on the phone? Had he authority?

Talk to joe Duffy.

Well if you weren't happy why do give the business?

Always found Harvey Norman reasonable for bargaining when spending a considerable amount. Got a free blu-ray player with a tv and stand before.

I rang them and was promised the jersey, thats why they got my business, they wont be getting it again

Jaysus, self entitlement at its best

I know you must know the difference between self entitlement and being promised something over the phone so i'm wondering why the stupid response?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

sucked in !

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

Did you complain in the shop or just on boards?

How much was the Ipad and how much was the cheapest tv under the deal conditions?

Why did you continue with the purchase of the Ipad when you knew you were not getting the jersey if you were so upset about it?

Why do we have to read you whinge about not getting something for free, when you had no entitlment?

yupya1 wrote: »
    Why do we have to read you whinge about not getting something for free, when you had no entitlment?

You didn't have to read it, you also didn't have to answer but yet you did. why?

yupya1 wrote: »
    Did you complain in the shop or just on boards?

How much was the Ipad and how much was the cheapest tv under the deal conditions?

I complained in the shop and was fobbed off with a feeble excuse, poor poor customer service, the cheapest tv was half the price of the ipad

I know you must know the difference between self entitlement and being promised something over the phone so i'm wondering why the stupid response?

THis is coming from someone who got sucked into a "promise" of a product if you went over and spent more money with them?

There was no promise, there was no contract. You got duped. The person making the "promise" clearly did not have the authority to make such a statement either

• Advertisement

THis is coming from someone who got sucked into a "promise" of a product if you went over and spent more money with them?

There was no promise, there was no contract. You got duped. The person making the "promise" clearly did not have the authority to make such a statement either

It shows what kind of company harvey norman is if they have to resort to these tactics to get customers and basically that's my whole point
    Anyone would have done the same with the same or a similar offer

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

No I dont think anybody would have done the same as evidenced by the replies on this thread. Where people get this self righteous attitude is amazing

Look Darokane there was no offer for Ipads, the person you talked to either was probably just mistaken (or probably bullied into saying it.)
    However the main point is no offer on Ipad and you knew this before parting with your money so suck it up will ya! Jesus

The point is i was offered it, hence me wanting to purchase there, how is that self righteous?

It shows what kind of company harvey norman is if they have to resort to these tactics to get customers and basically that's my whole point
    Anyone would have done the same with the same or a similar offer

What tactics?

It is known as sales puffs, invitation to treats, boasts. It is a form of attracting customers.

It is not calls promises or offers.

Sweet Lord and people that slow?

People would have been attracted to it alright, but intelligent people would have known that the worker (probably not even the manager) was bound by such "promise", and the statement made was not part of the actual promotion.

Self importance is a bad thing oh "loyal customer"

The point is i was offered it, hence me wanting to purchase there, how is that self righteous?

You were offered nothing. Basic contract rules, sunny jim

:rolleyes:I'd hate to see you running a business
    You were offered nothing. Basic contract rules, sunny jim

:rolleyes:I'd hate to see you running a business

Eh, ALL business's do it! Harvery Norman are excellent at it, and it's legal.

Next time you want to whinge, at least know whether or not you have rights to whinge about.

It is business, not charity.

These business' chains don't need to haggle or barter to get deals done, like, possibly small shops. They provide promotions, take it or leave it, not to tolerate customers trying and invent new ones

By your way of going, I would be out of business by cowtowing to your ideas. Giving stuff away for discount for no reason? That's your game?

Just in case, Carlsberg are probably not "The best larger in the World"

Cilit Bang won't wipe away all your problems.

When you hear slogans like that they are practically "giving things away", they are not, not really.

Eh, ALL business's do it! Harvery Norman are excellent at it, and it's legal.

Next time you want to whinge, at least know whether or not you have rights to whinge about.

It is business, not charity.

These business' chains don't need to haggle or barter to get deals done, like, possibly small shops. They provide promotions, take it or leave it, not to tolerate customers trying and invent new ones

By your way of going, I would be out of business by cowtowing to your ideas. Giving stuff away for discount for no reason? That's your game?

Just in case, Carlsberg are probably not "The best larger in the World"

Cilit Bang won't wipe away all your problems.

When you hear slogans like that they are practically "giving things away", they are not, not really.

Are you an idiot?

Are you an idiot?

Ah, no , you are, and you have been able to convey this, without any assistance, impressive.

If you did not understand why the product sales puffs were used, then it has gone over your head.

Can't see how one is an idiot by pointing out to you that business' like Harvey Norman don't need to haggle new deals as OP tried to do, in order to get business. Rather stupid to start that craic on very dodgy notions that an offer or promise had being made .

• Advertisement

Ah, no , you are, and you have been able to convey this, without any assistance, impressive.

If you did not understand why the product sales puffs were used, then it has gone over your head.

Can't see how one is an idiot by pointing out to you that business' like Harvey Norman don't need to haggle new deals as OP tried to do, in order to get business. Rather stupid to start that craic on very dodgy notions that an offer or promise had being made .

work for harvey norman?;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement