Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First car, few questions...

• 20-04-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi lads, at the moment I am driving my mother's Toyota Avensis, but I am looking to get my own car soon. I had a Toyota Corolla in mind.

Now my first question is what are the benefits of buying from a dealer rather than a private sale from the likes of DoneDeal? I have seen one of my friends buy a car from Done Deal only for it to break down 3 weeks later. What type of guarantee would I get from a dealer?

My next question is I am insured for the year on the Avensis, this cost €800, lets say in 2 month's time I buy a Corolla, will I just lose the remaining month's insurance on the Avensis, or can it be switched to the Corolla?

Any other advice would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You'll pay over the odds at a dealers, and you might only get a 3-6 month warranty that only covers certain items (parts that wear/tear are never covered). You'd be much better off educating yourself about the common faults a car has and check around Donedeal and the likes, and give it a proper inspection yourself. Even get the car checked over by a mechanic if you want.

Are you insured as a named driver on the Avensis? If so, this can't be transferred as you'll be the main driver of your car, so need to be the policy owner, and the policy owner on the avensis would be your mother (i assume). After the current year is up, you will have 1 year of named driver experience (not NCB)

If it's your first time getting insured on your own car, expect quotes of €2000+, depending on your age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd say he's 21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭DanTheMan91

I'm 20, and yes I am a named driver on the Avensis and I will want to be the main driver on the Corolla. So I would have to go on a separate policy on the Corolla? That is a pity, I taught the remainder of my insurance would switch to the Corolla and I would back however much it cost to pay the insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yes, you will have to get your own policy for the corolla. There's no real point cancelling the named insurance on the avensis as you won't get money back, and in a few months you'll have some named driving experience.

The insurance can't be swapped because you're just a named driver on someone elses policy, which isn't actually any form of separate insurance for yourself that is transferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭DanTheMan91

Ok, thank's for clearing that up. I might keep saving for another few months because I don't want to waste the years insurance on my mother's car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement