Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! tattoo/piercing before travelling to asia.

Options
  • 20-04-2012 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi!

so myself and my boyfriend are going travelling south east asia for 3 months starting in July,
    I want to get my belly button pierced and he wants to get a tattoo before we go... but heres my query.. I was advised by a piercing place not to get my belly button done because it takes 6 months to heal properly and Id probably contract an infection in asia.. which is far enough... just wondering if it does take that amount of time to heal and should it be discouraged due to the countries im backpacking through?

also.. whats the healing time for a tattoo and is there a chance of contracting an infection in asia of its not healed?

any help would be great

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

You were advised by the people who are the experts, surely there word over randomers on the internet should suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

kenndy wrote: »
    Hi!

so myself and my boyfriend are going travelling south east asia for 3 months starting in July,
    I want to get my belly button pierced and he wants to get a tattoo before we go... but heres my query.. I was advised by a piercing place not to get my belly button done because it takes 6 months to heal properly and Id probably contract an infection in asia.. which is far enough... just wondering if it does take that amount of time to heal and should it be discouraged due to the countries im backpacking through?

also.. whats the healing time for a tattoo and is there a chance of contracting an infection in asia of its not healed?

any help would be great

cheers!

Yes it can, because of the amount of movement in that part of your body, it's constantly irritated and bumped etc... so take their advice. And I'd not recommend it for going backpacking in any countries.

A tattoo can take up to around 6 weeks or so to heal fully, and there's chance of contracting infections in it anywhere if it's not properly cared for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kenndy

Arawn wrote: »
    You were advised by the people who are the experts, surely there word over randomers on the internet should suffice?

I have taken on board the advice given to me by the experts..but i was just wondering about other "randomers" and their healing times for a belly button piercing. but cheers for the imput.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I got a tattoo 2-3 weeks before heading off backpacking in Asia and it was fine, but I wasn't swimming or anything like that for the first few weeks. I'd be much more concerned about the piercing, as they take forever to heal for me, but that's just my personal experience. As others have said, probably best to defer to the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I would suggest waiting (for both). Sure, it could go grand, you both could be grand, and I'm sure loads of people have stories of them doing it and it was fine.

But what if (god forbid) one or both of you gets an infection, however likely or unlikely, where would you go? I personally wouldn't risk it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 kenndy

I would suggest waiting (for both). Sure, it could go grand, you both could be grand, and I'm sure loads of people have stories of them doing it and it was fine.

But what if (god forbid) one or both of you gets an infection, however likely or unlikely, where would you go? I personally wouldn't risk it.

I was thinking along the same lines... with regards to where we'd go.. we have good health insurance but its the wealth of infections from very foreign bacteria that can makes me worry. dont think ill risk the piercing but the tattoo is probably still on the cards.

thanks for ur feedback!

Advertisement