Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People should be paid to look after children.

• 20-04-2012 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Bringing up children is hard work. Any parents out there will confirm this. Given the choice between going out to work and staying home to look after children many people would choose the former.

My idea is this. Pay parents to leave work.

Offer €220 a week to look after a child, with an additional €70 a week for each subsequent child.(I think this is pretty much equivalent to the dole + child benefit)

So the idea is that willing parents (mother or father) can opt to leave work and take this payment, thus creating a job for an unemployed people.

The unemployed benefit as there will be jobs that will have to take.
    Families benefit from having more time together.
    Children benefit from being raised by a parent.
    Society benefits as unemployment is eradicated (assuming enough working parents take this option)
    It won't cost anything as for every parent taking this option, one person leaves the dole.
    In theory it should save billions.

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

What about the people who choose not to have children and r@pe their own wallets and the Earths natural resources and therefore work their hole off not having to look after their screaming little sh!ts that they have to put in a creche so they grow up not respecting their own parents?

The 'future' me boll0cks.

<phew went off on one there!>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

As if there arent enough people popping out sprogs to get de benefits, if you can't afford kids don't have em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I have an affinity for natural resources and wallets myself, I must say.

Rape, not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Explain it more clearly please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

There is an argument that people who have children are providing an important service to society, as when we are all old, we will need younger generations to carry things on. However, at the rate world population is increasing, it will soon be easy to argue that people who refrain from having children are doing a more positive thing for the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

krudler wrote: »
    As if there arent enough people popping out sprogs to get de benefits, if you can't afford kids don't have em.

Everyone would be able to afford to have kids, which are necessary for your future pension.

Remember there would be no more dole. So every kid would be a future taxpayer or parent of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

lmao

There is an argument that people who have children are providing an important service to society, as when we are all old, we will need younger generations to carry things on. However, at the rate world population is increasing, it will soon be easy to argue that people who refrain from having children are doing a more positive thing for the world.

I agree entirely. And those who make that decision will work instead. It could even be used to plan the population by stopping payment after so many children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Oh forfuxsake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

forfuxsake.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

For each person that leaves the dole you want to add on a parent wage that costs about 35 euro more, and this will save billions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yes, lets do that. Great idea. And can we all have free hats and some cake please I think it would cheer everyone up.

derfderf wrote: »
    For each person that leaves the dole you want to add on a parent wage that costs about 35 euro more, and this will save billions?

No it includes child benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

kids as capitalism.

encouraging people to have an ever increasing number of children who are required to provide for an ever increasing number of non-working old people, living in a world of ever increasing resources.

How could it possibly go wrong

It's like this:

Many unemployed childless people would love to work.
    If there are jobs then they SHOULD work.

So why not replace them with parents struggling to be able to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Bringing up children is hard work. Any parents out there will confirm this. Given the choice between going out to work and staying home to look after children many people would choose the former.

My idea is this. Pay parents to leave work.

Offer €220 a week to look after a child, with an additional €70 a week for each subsequent child.(I think this is pretty much equivalent to the dole + child benefit)

So the idea is that willing parents (mother or father) can opt to leave work and take this payment, thus creating a job for an unemployed people.

The unemployed benefit as there will be jobs that will have to take.
    Families benefit from having more time together.
    Children benefit from being raised by a parent.
    Society benefits as unemployment is eradicated (assuming enough working parents take this option)
    It won't cost anything as for every parent taking this option, one person leaves the dole.
    In theory it should save billions.

What do you think?

Do they still get child benefit as well as this payment?

In reality It will cost billions.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

derfderf wrote: »

and make thousands of childcare providers unemployed....genius !!! OP have you considered a career in politics ?

retalivity wrote: »
    kids as capitalism.

encouraging people to have an ever increasing number of children who are required to provide for an ever increasing number of non-working old people, living in a world of ever increasing resources.

I don't think it is very capitalistic to pay people to look after their own children

and make thousands of childcare providers unemployed....genius !!! OP have you considered a career in politics ?

I'm thinking about the 440,000 who are unemployed now.

Childcare providers would not be unemployed, they may have to retrain but nobody would be unemployed.

hondasam wrote: »
    Do they still get child benefit as well as this payment?

In reality It will cost billions.

no read it again, the payment is equivalent to the dole plus child benefit.

188+ 40 approx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There's always mass sterilisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

People should be paid to stop coming up with silly ideas.

Where To wrote: »

you'd get a lot for that one :rolleyes:

Where To wrote: »

Could you try and be a little less specific?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

They do this in France and it works there. There is a bonus for the third child also. It's cheaper for the government to pay the family and give someone a job compared to paying the family and paying someones dole. This would also increase youthful population and hopefully reduce brain drain which will inevitably happen if people begin to leave the country more than they have been because of no jobs which this would be helping to fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Wha about all dem yung wuns dat have der sprogs fer da muney, and den der kids never bodder der hole working eeder, so dats anuder generation of spongers dat don't pay taxes...

:D

They do this in France and it works there. There is a bonus for the third child also. It's cheaper for the government to pay the family and give someone a job compared to paying the family and paying someones dole. This would also increase youthful population and hopefully reduce brain drain which will inevitably happen if people begin to leave the country more than they have been because of no jobs which this would be helping to fix.

This is the fundamental idea.

I know a guy who is single, well-educated and bored out of his fcuking mind at home. Next door lives a couple who are juggling work and family life and failing miserable. If he could swop with one of the parents then there is no cost to society and he is happier and they are happier.

I don't find that idea silly at all

no read it again, the payment is equivalent to the dole plus child benefit.

188+ 40 approx

Your post read €220 per week with an additional €70 p/w per child.
    €220 + €70 = €290 for one child.

Wha about all dem yung wuns dat have der sprogs fer da muney, and den der kids never bodder der hole working eeder, so dats anuder generation of spongers dat don't pay taxes...

:D

not working when there are jobs will not be an option. The legislation is already on its way.

• Advertisement

Your post read €220 per week with an additional €70 p/w per child.
    €220 + €70 = €290 for one child.

read it again. you are ignoring the word subsequent. apology accepted in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

The only people that will take part in this scheme are those that are likely to abuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

retalivity wrote: »
    kids as capitalism.

People aren't just consumers though, they are for the most part producers, each adding a small part to economic growth.

I dunno, there are a lot of hysterics going around about overpopulation, I just don't see it. We have ample resources to give everyone a decent quality of life right now, and as technology advances the efficiency with which we use those resources grows by leaps and bounds. The real problem is distribution, which is political. North Korea is an excellent example of this, an entire population kept half starved in order to maintain a gigantic military. Much of Africa also suffers from the same problem.

All you really need to keep things ticking over is energy, and there is more than enough energy just floating around to make that possible.

Take a good look at the map on this page and tell me we're going to run out anytime soon. And that's just solar, and even that is ignoring things like this, or this. The good news is that developed countrys' populations are stable already, all we need to do is bring the rest of the world up to that standard of living.

read it again. you are ignoring the word subsequent. apology accepted in advance.

Tell me what I'm apologising for? explain it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Is this not just the opposite of everything. instead of a profitable company paying a person. your asking the government to pay when they are already in trouble. unless child minding becomes privatized i think such an idea would just make things worse. Because the money that is trying to be saved would be spent?

Maybe im wrong

The only people that will take part in this scheme are those that are likely to abuse it.

It would have to be regulated, new jobs for the dole staff. Parents would have to parent in order to be paid. I think many decent families struggling with childcare and petrol costs would consider it.

It would actually hurt people who see the dole as a job alternative.

• Advertisement

Does this come out of the magical bottomless money pot?

Tell me what I'm apologising for? explain it better.

Offer €220 a week to look after a child, with an additional €70 a week for each subsequent child

this means €220 for the first child and €70 for the second, €70 for third etc.

so four children would be 220+70+70+70.

and no additional child benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

It would have to be regulated, new jobs for the dole staff. Parents would have to parent in order to be paid. I think many decent families struggling with childcare and petrol costs would consider it.

It would actually hurt people who see the dole as a job alternative.

I think the problem here is that you're a decent person and wouldn't abuse the system, others would skin a fly for it's hide and would make a killing out of something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

This is so silly for so many reasons. People work for much more than 220 a week the only people that this would be of benefit for is the very low paid or the very well paid. The very well paid as they dont have to work anyway. So again the middle earner like with most things get screwed.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Does this come out of the magical bottomless money pot?

Why would it cost anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Why don't we pay people to drive cars? This would give more jobs to car dealerships and petrol stations

Offer €220 a week to look after a child, with an additional €70 a week for each subsequent child

this means €220 for the first child and €70 for the second, €70 for third etc.

so four children would be 220+70+70+70.

and no additional child benefit.

Is this before or after tax, usc, paye, pension, payments?

This is so silly for so many reasons. People work for much more than 220 a week the only people that this would be of benefit for is the very low paid or the very well paid. The very well paid as they dont have to work anyway. So again the middle earner like with most things get screwed.

That's a very good point. 220 a week is not as bad as it sounds though when you take out the cost of going to work, tax, USC, petrol, lunches, childcare etc

It's not perfect but at least it would stop dole going to people unwilling to work.

Why would it cost anything?

The money you want to pay people has to come from somewhere :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Oh, just had a quick look at the OP's other threads and know the she's not serious about any of it. Good one OP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I get it, it's a Dole thread in disguise!!!!!

WHUWHUWHUWHUWHU!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

The money you want to pay people has to come from somewhere :confused::confused::confused::confused:

It would be offset against the savings in social welfare when those out of work take up the employment the parent has left behind.

Not a bad idea OP. AFAIK some countries are actually looking into it I recall seeing somewhere I think it was Sweden were investigating it and other countries are offering bonuses for children.

Depopulation in parts of the world is becoming an issue and is going to get worse, in a few decades the population of Germany for example is expected to drop by about 10%, at that stage the demographics will have a much older population who will need pensions, healthcare, social care, retirement homes etc by a decreasing younger workforce.

http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/migration/migration.htm

For example..
    Keeping retirement and health-care systems for older persons solvent in the face of declining and ageing populations, for example, constitutes a new situation that poses serious challenges for Governments and civil society.

But sure why invest in this now..

http://www.globalaging.org/health/world/depopulationeuropejapan.htm

From the dole and child benefit.

I think the financial cost would initially be similar to the current welfare system but we can't overlook the social cost of unemployment.

It would also help address the abuse of the current system where some people see it a career choice and provide employment for those who are desperate to be doing something.

From the dole and child benefit.

I think the financial cost would initially be similar to the current welfare system but we can't overlook the social cost of unemployment.

It would also help address the abuse of the current system where some people see it a career choice and provide employment for those who are desperate to be doing something.

How long will all these mothers/fathers stay home, until the kids finish secondary school? how will these parents get back into the workforce, presumably some of them will be to old to get employment.
    What payment will they get then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

It's like this:

Many unemployed childless people would love to work.
    If there are jobs then they SHOULD work.

So why not replace them with parents struggling to be able to work?

Many unemployed parents would like to work too !

So, what you are saying is, would I like to stay at home and try and live on 290 quid a week ?

No, Id like to work and earn a good wage in order to raise my children well. Oh, and in order to use the skills I have.

Do you even have a child ?

Your proposal is just beyond bizzare ! Really, have a little think about it ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement