Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People should be paid to look after children.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

hondasam wrote: »
    How long will all these mothers/fathers stay home, until the kids finish secondary school? how will these parents get back into the workforce, presumably some of them will be to old to get employment.
    What payment will they get then?

Excellent point there. Secondary school children really don't want their parents hanging around too much, they also require a little maintenance of the monetary kind, hence the need for parents to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

tempura wrote: »
    Many unemployed parents would like to work too !

...and many in employment would take the opportunity to stay home. My OH and I are both working. We'd love to have kids but we can't afford to live off one wage at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This is a great idea. I would like to second this and if its passed next year i will have 20 kids, no wait 30. yeah. Then i can retire,

I hear there is a five bedroom in killiney going cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Bringing up children is hard work. Any parents out there will confirm this. Given the choice between going out to work and staying home to look after children many people would choose the former.

My idea is this. Pay parents to leave work.

Offer €220 a week to look after a child, with an additional €70 a week for each subsequent child.(I think this is pretty much equivalent to the dole + child benefit)

So the idea is that willing parents (mother or father) can opt to leave work and take this payment, thus creating a job for an unemployed people.

The unemployed benefit as there will be jobs that will have to take.
    Families benefit from having more time together.
    Children benefit from being raised by a parent.
    Society benefits as unemployment is eradicated (assuming enough working parents take this option)
    It won't cost anything as for every parent taking this option, one person leaves the dole.
    In theory it should save billions.

What do you think?

Are you having a f***ing laugh? :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Raising children is the most important job in the world imo.

I think it would be better if one earner could provide a good quality of life for a small family with one parent having the option of staying at home while the kids are in school.

I think people are led to believe that having loads of stuff will make them happy. There are working couples/parents with two big cars a big house and 3 foreign holidays a year.

If they had a small house one car and went camping for a week in the summer they'd only need one person earning and the kids would have the luxury of a parent at home.

My goodness, am I'm beginning to sound like a conservative fuddy-duddy or what?!

Advertisement