Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 2 Episode 4 - *HAVE* read the books / Spoilers!

• 20-04-2012 6:16pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

This is going to be amazing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

Pretty sure Ix Deadmau5 will still only give it 4/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Oooh someone's getting 'shadowed' for sure this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Oooh someone's getting 'shadowed' for sure this week

Was expecting it last week at the pace they are going, kept saying to my self X is dead for sure , can't wait to see how they do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Surely it HAS to be this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

He has been stabbing him for years and he ain't dead..:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Renly survives another week just barely!

Can someone refresh my memory, I have no recollection of of Little Finger being in Renly's camp in the books :confused:

If I recall Tyrion only sent him to form an alliance with the tyrells after renley's nastyness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Was worried about how they were gonna pull of the shadow birthing.

Still felt really uncomfortable watching her stomach bulge and move while black smoke poured out of her vagina.

Decent episode with some cracking one-liners:

'There's no cure for being a cúnt.'

'Born of salt and smoke. Is he a ham?'

Tywin laying into the guards at Harrenhal was quality too. THe birthing scene was done as well as they could do it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

good episode!!

i thought the Shadow baby was actually a shadow not a 3D thing!!:confused:
    bit nitpicky i know:rolleyes:

also would have liked joffery/sansa expanded to show his sadisticness instead of the whores scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Watched the episode earlier (rewatching it now on Atlantic)

Great episode.
    Birthing scene was done really well. Poor Davos hadn't a clue what was happening.

I'm going into the haven'tread the books thread after ten to see what everyone who didn;t know it was coming thinks of it :)

Tyrion with another great episode.

Joffrey the sadistic little c#nt :)

Good to see movement in Daenarys storyline.

Enjoyed the meeting of Stannis and Renly.
    Poor Renly is gonna get fecked up :)

Just ventured in there. Love how everone is just like :

funny-celebrity-pictures-dafuq-did-i-just-see.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

In fairness, I knew exactly what was coming and it still took me by surprise. Was expecting more of an actual shadow than a slimy looking 3D monster.

Also like how Melisandre's magic powers protect her from stretch marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Frisbee wrote: »
    THe birthing scene was done as well as they could do it imo.

Can't disagree more. They could have done it much more subtly, with an actual 2D shadow sliding from between her legs and across the floor. There was even a shot from the ceiling just after the lantern lit up which was perfect for it, and then they zoomed in and we get this over-the-top 3D smoke monster. One thing that really served Game of Thrones so far has been that it has drawn in a huge and broad fanbase, including people that normally wouldn't be interested in fantasy, and it did so by going easy on the magic. I think it just looked silly.

Zillah wrote: »
    Can't disagree more. They could have done it much more subtly, with an actual 2D shadow sliding from between her legs and across the floor. There was even a shot from the ceiling just after the lantern lit up which was perfect for it, and then they zoomed in and we get this over-the-top 3D smoke monster. One thing that really served Game of Thrones so far has been that it has drawn in a huge and broad fanbase, including people that normally wouldn't be interested in fantasy, and it did so by going easy on the magic. I think it just looked silly.

Yeah same here, I imagined from the books her squatting and dropping not giving birth like she would a real baby.

Seriously though the books are the same in terms of "easy on the magic" so that when it happens you take note and it almost feels out of place. This scene in the book was not subtle in the least but that said are cgi wolves and baby dragons subtle????

Trying to remember what the next big "magic" event is ........ hmmmmm Lord Beric maybe and catlyn now that was a WFT moment the eclipses the ending of this episode ? Thats miles off and end of season 3 stuff . Or maybe Bran and his green dream stuff.

Edit: D'uh calex it's next week because that guy isn't dead yet is he :D

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Was expecting more of an actual shadow than a slimy looking 3D monster.

Same.
    calex71 wrote: »
    Trying to remember what the next big "magic" event is ........

You have me thinking about that now! :pac:

I think most likely
    Beric and The Hound?

We've already seen a quick glimpse of one of Brans Green Dreams altohugh it wasn't really explained in huge detail.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Same.

You have me thinking about that now! :pac:

I think most likely
    Beric and The Hound?

We've already seen a quick glimpse of one of Brans Green Dreams altohugh it wasn't really explained in huge detail.

Yes was thinking that too but for the life of me can't say if it was Clash or Storm , also can't remember as I'm not sure if that came before or after the red wedding when I thought
    Aria was dead and he was dragging her to river run
    :confused: though now i type it it makes sense that would be later as
    the hound
    wasn't loose until after the ending of book two was he.

Yes was thinking that too but for the life of me can't say if it was Clash or Storm , also can't remember as I'm not sure if that came before or after the red wedding when I thought
    Aria was dead and he was dragging her to river run
    :confused: though now i type it it makes sense that would be later as
    the hound
    wasn't loose until after the ending of book two was he.

It was definitely the first book of Storm of Swords. The second part of Storm is when he is bringing her to Cat only for Frey do his thang. It's after Arya runs from the Brave Companions that the Hound catches her as he'd been following them having been released by Beric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Here's hoping we see some epic grand sweeping shots of Harrenhal. One of my favorite locations from the books and one of those that ive desperately wanted to see recreated on screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

nicklauski wrote: »
    I'm going into the haven'tread the books thread after ten to see what everyone who didn;t know it was coming thinks of it :)

Just had a look too, some of them in there have clearly read the books, A Clash of Kings at least, with their clever little guesses that are a little too accurate. :pac:

Anyways, Brilliant episode. Can't wait for next week, The Ghost of Harrenhal was one of favourite parts of book 2 if not my favourite bit.

• Advertisement

Mr Freeze wrote: »

Just had a look too, some of them in there have clearly read the books, A Clash of Kings at least, with their clever little guesses that are a little too accurate. :pac:

Anyways, Brilliant episode. Can't wait for next week, The Ghost of Harrenhal was one of favourite parts of book 2 if not my favourite bit.

Some of them are very clued up with what's going on alright. Even more than us. :)

The ghost of harrenhal will be interesting. I thought we would have seen more of jaqen before now.
    I thought Arya had more interaction with them in the books before her and Gendry were recaptured.

Anyways. I hate this waiting for a week nonsense :)

The ghost of harrenhal will be interesting. I thought we would have seen more of jaqen before now.
    I thought Arya had more interaction with them in the books before her and Gendry were recaptured.

I think she had the same amount of contact with them when they were in the cage, just the book goes into some detail describing them.

The show just showed them a few times, one or 2 close ups of Jaqen H'ghar, but when they land up to Harrenhal on horse back, the TV audience might not have a clue who they are, Rorge and Biter especially, since we barely saw them.

I think she had the same amount of contact with them when they were in the cage, just the book goes into some detail describing them.

The show just showed them a few times, one or 2 close ups of Jaqen H'ghar, but when they land up to Harrenhal on horse back, the TV audience might not have a clue who they are, Rorge and Biter especially, since we barely saw them.

Yeah true enough I suppose.

I'm looking forward to their return.

I would have preferred if they kept the original actor that we saw a glimpse of at the end of season 1, but you never know the reasons why.

I seen in Empires chat with George RR Martin that they originally had someone else for Daenarys, filmed scenes with her as well (with Martin having a cameo!) but then recast her with Emilia Clarke. Wonder who it was :)

I would have preferred if they kept the original actor that we saw a glimpse of at the end of season 1, but you never know the reasons why.

Jaqen H'ghar was completely hooded in the cage at the end of season 1, that's how the show escaped that one, they probably changed the actors for Rorge and Biter for all I know, I barely remember what they looked like.

Rorge still has his nose anyways (or was it Biter missing the nose?), but Biter did have the pointy teeth, nasty buggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

I was watching it with my house mates who haven't read the books.

I enjoyed the look on their faces when the birthing scene started :D

In fairness, they did it brilliantly, the shadow crawling out and forming muscles was class

Jaqen H'ghar was completely hooded in the cage at the end of season 1, that's how the show escaped that one, they probably changed the actors for Rorge and Biter for all I know, I barely remember what they looked like.

Rorge still has his nose anyways (or was it Biter missing the nose?), but Biter did have the pointy teeth, nasty buggers.

I remember Arya walked past the cage and she locked eyes with one of them. I was convinced it was Jaqen.

Found the picture eventually.

jaqen_hghar.png?w=540&h=527

Looks like he would f8ck things up.

edit: Although he has got what looks like a lump gone from his nose :o

double edit : Rorge is the one who is supposed to have no nose. And Biter had no tongue I think it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

Great episode - but like others here was a bit disappointed by how the birthing scene was done.

Also I found the telling of the story in the books a much better way of our introduction to the shadow i.e. shadow/renly meeting with brienne/cat present and cat recognising it all prior to the davos/mellisindra birthing scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I seen in Empires chat with George RR Martin that they originally had someone else for Daenarys, filmed scenes with her as well (with Martin having a cameo!) but then recast her with Emilia Clarke. Wonder who it was :)

Dany was originally played by Tamzin Merchant. She played Cathrine Howard in Tudors. IMO she was terrible and comes as no surprise they had to recast her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Yeah same here, I imagined from the books her squatting and dropping not giving birth like she would a real baby.

Seriously though the books are the same in terms of "easy on the magic" so that when it happens you take note and it almost feels out of place. This scene in the book was not subtle in the least but that said are cgi wolves and baby dragons subtle????

Trying to remember what the next big "magic" event is ........ hmmmmm Lord Beric maybe and catlyn now that was a WFT moment the eclipses the ending of this episode ? Thats miles off and end of season 3 stuff . Or maybe Bran and his green dream stuff.
    I'm not sure if you'd count them as 'big' magic bits but Jaqen changes his appearance after fulfilling his debt to Arya, plus there's the whole Warlocks and House of the Undying bit with Dany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

love the references to the brotherhood, wonder if we will see dondarion this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I thought the birthing scene was fantastically done. It was just that a birthing scene. If she had squat it wouldn't create the same effect.

It also explains the scene in the first episode between Stanis and the Red Priestess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Should we have seen the Bloody Mummers by now? Where is Vargo Hoat?

Should we have seen the Bloody Mummers by now? Where is Vargo Hoat?

He isn't even cast, nor are the Reeds. They might be leaving them out.

I'd say Vargo Hoat might be left to be a season 3 character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭bobbyg

He isn't even cast, nor are the Reeds. They might be leaving them out.

I'd say Vargo Hoat might be left to be a season 3 character.

Wouldn't have thought they could leave out the Reeds.

Having watched season 1 before I read the first book I thought both were very similar, this time round I am so glad i read the book first as there is a lot of deviation this season.

Ya there is a good bit of deviation!

No Reeds its looking like, not too bad, you can just merge them with Osha I suppose.

No Ramsay Snow, No Reek is a worry though, cause I can't see how they can do certain scenes without them unless they are pushing those scenes and those characters into season 3.

Anyways, not knocking the show at all, its class, some deviations are good, others not so much, but we will wait and see what happens (what choice have we!)

EDIT: Also seems like there is no Storms End, so no Edric Storm!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

No Ramsay Snow, No Reek is a worry though, cause I can't see how they can do certain scenes without them unless they are pushing those scenes and those characters into season 3.

Reading these episode summaries http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55104 we may see him before seasons end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The Reeds are going to be cast next season, there's too much story around them for them not to be cast (Howland Reed's involvement at Tower of the Joy, stories they tell Bran, Jojen setting him on the path to understanding his dreams/warging etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Sleepy wrote: »
    The Reeds are going to be cast next season, there's too much story around them for them not to be cast (Howland Reed's involvement at Tower of the Joy, stories they tell Bran, Jojen setting him on the path to understanding his dreams/warging etc.)

Yeah, the Reeds are integral. And 2 of my favourite characters!

Yeah, the Reeds are integral. And 2 of my favourite characters!
    Ramsay do sent show up in the guise of reek until the on sacks winter fell, however the reeds should be there too so they can lead bran and hodor north, osha can't take on that role as she has to take rickon south.

I really hope meera is hawt.

Anyone got casting ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I imagine Edric Storm might show up later, but considering it looks like they've cut Shireen and Patchface, he might not.

I'm going to say the Reeds are cut (wrongly imo) and Osha will got North with Bran and they'll keep Luwin or something alive to take Rickon.

Ramsay/Reek shouldn't be cut but the show could possibly use Roose in their place.

Biggest things for me so far is no mention of Edmure, which is stupid considering later events, and potentially Blackfish being cut, who's one of my favourite characters from the books.

But then again, considering the amount of screen time Ros is getting and what the show has done to Littlefinger, I wouldn't be surprised if they change everything around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I noticed in this episode that Arya becomes Tywin Lannister's cupbearer - but I thought when she was in Harrenhal she was a serving girl for Roose Bolton? Or does that happen later?

It looks to me like Vargo Hoat is going to be written out of the story so for now, Tywin is in Boltons place
    and when Bolton turns cloak, he or more likely Ramsey, will be the one to take Jaime's hand

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

I've only just had the chance to get up to speed with whats been going on in season two. I'll admit I was a bit upset at how much deviation there has been between the show and the book, but I can appreciate how hard it would have been to make book 2 fit into ten episodes. I really enjoyed the last two episodes though! Especially liked the look of Qarth in this weeks episode and I can't wait for Renly to get shadowed and to see more of Brienne.

BTW, whats the deal with
    Robb & the nurse girl? I can't recall the name she gave in the show, but it certainly wasn't Roslin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

titan18 wrote: »
    I'm going to say the Reeds are cut (wrongly imo) and Osha will got North with Bran and they'll keep Luwin or something alive to take Rickon.

My vote is that Rickon stays with Bran as far as the wall, then Osha hands Bran and Hodor off to Coldhands and departs with Rickon. The Reeds provide some interesting exposition, but that's the sort of thing they'll have to trim way down in the show anyway. Osha can provide some basic wildling knowledge about his dreams. Once he actually gets to his destination, the Reeds start to seem pretty irrelevant since they can't really participate in what he's doing. And we don't see Osha and Rickon for a while so they have plenty of time to get wherever they're going.

Newaglish wrote: »
    I noticed in this episode that Arya becomes Tywin Lannister's cupbearer - but I thought when she was in Harrenhal she was a serving girl for Roose Bolton? Or does that happen later?

that happens later, initially the Lanisters hold Harrenhall,with tywin in charge, Arya ws put to work cleaning, shebecomes the ghost o harennhall and then when tywin leaves there is the weasel soup incident when she frees the northmen, they take the castle and roose Bolton comes to be in charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    I've only just had the chance to get up to speed with whats been going on in season two. I'll admit I was a bit upset at how much deviation there has been between the show and the book, but I can appreciate how hard it would have been to make book 2 fit into ten episodes. I really enjoyed the last two episodes though! Especially liked the look of Qarth in this weeks episode and I can't wait for Renly to get shadowed and to see more of Brienne.

BTW, whats the deal with
    Robb & the nurse girl? I can't recall the name she gave in the show, but it certainly wasn't Roslin!

I think most understand that there needs to be changes from the book to the tv show in order to fit it all in. However, we don't need new pointless characters (Ros) especially when they're getting more screen time than actual characters, and then changing stuff for the sake of changing it e.g Littlefinger not being Littlefinger, Shae being completely different and kinda unlikable or Joffrey becoming some sort of cartoon villain.

It actually takes away from the show imo

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    BTW, whats the deal with
    My money says it's how he meets Jayne Westerling and that she gave him a false name.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

My money says it's how he meets Jayne Westerling and that she gave him a false name.

The way things are being changed in the series and for events to unfold the way the do in the books, she doen't need to be Jayne Westerling. She could be any non Frey noble girl. It would lead to the same event without adding unneccessary characters. The rest of the Westerling storyline was pretty much a non event anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I really enjoyed that episode, Davos expression at the birth was priceless!
    My guess is the Littlefinger is at Renly camp to convince Margary to wed Joffery, i dont remember Littlefinger doing a whole lot in the 2nd book yet he seem to be fairly prominent in all the episodes so far. Same for Dany.

Was it just me or did Tywin Lanister come across are a really nice guy at Harranhal?

I really enjoyed that episode, Davos expression at the birth was priceless!
    My guess is the Littlefinger is at Renly camp to convince Margary to wed Joffery, i dont remember Littlefinger doing a whole lot in the 2nd book yet he seem to be fairly prominent in all the episodes so far. Same for Dany.

Was it just me or did Tywin Lanister come across are a really nice guy at Harranhal?

Well seen as Margarey is married to Renly, he's a week early.

• Advertisement
Advertisement