Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carrying cash safety to uk

• 20-04-2012 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭

Im heading to England next week to pick up an a5. Hope to do the deal in one day fly over boat home.
    Is there any bother with security at the airport as I will have 20k in cash in a small bag or stuffed in a coat pocket.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

lol
    will the guy not accept a sterling draft ?

otherwise dress to be left alone baseball cap, hoodie, jeans and boots

you won't look worth robbing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

here ya go...

the first result gives you all the info you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

You may have to declare the cash as its a large sum, check the Irish and Uk customs websites.

Edit: As pointed out below, as youre travelling within the EU, you don't need to declare it. Personally though, I wouldn't carry that much cash with me, I'd say a bank Draft is the best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

mmcn90 wrote: »
    You may have to declare the cash as its a large sum, check the Irish and Uk customs websites.
    You will have to declare it, as it's over 10 grand.

• Advertisement

testicle wrote: »
    You will have to declare it, as it's over 10 grand.

no you won't

revenue .ie says lesaving ireland is ok as lokng as your staying in the eu

and my link says its ok as long as your comming from the eu

otherwise he could go up the m1 and fly from belfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

You dont have to declare anything as you are still within the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Cheers lads wasn't gonna bother with a draft but might give it some thought .
    Was goona just wear a jacket with zip pockets and wear it through the scanner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Bring like 18k in a draft rest in cash to haggle with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Don't fly into Luton airport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Don't fly into Luton airport
    Why?

i fly into luton all the time
    tis grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Why?

No reason, twas a joke at Luton's expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

A lot of sellers wont take a draft, too many stolen (or forged) ones floating around.
    This would probably apply even more if they were selling to a Foreigner, which is the case here.
    Either cash (carry it in a money belt) or an electronic bank transfer on-the-spot are usually the better options when travelling across to the UK to make a purchase.
    Also any haggling will probably have to be done over the phone. Once you arrive all the way from Ireland the seller knows they have you hooked and are very unlikely to move on price.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    A lot of sellers wont take a draft, too many stolen (or forged) ones floating around.
    This would probably apply even more if they were selling to a Foreigner, which is the case here.
    Either cash (carry it in a money belt) or an electronic bank transfer on-the-spot are usually the better options when travelling across to the UK to make a purchase.
    Also any haggling will probably have to be done over the phone. Once you arrive all the way from Ireland the seller knows they have you hooked and are very unlikely to move on price.

drafts can be verified in a bank

electronic transfers can be reversed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

You need to hire "The Transporter".:D That or just stick the dosh in your pocket and head off. There will of course now be teams of international crooks attempting to hack your Boards account/scan your past posts for clues to your identity and generally track you down for the chance of 20k.:) Best thing to do would be tell no-one and just head off.

Tigger wrote: »
    drafts can be verified in a bank

That is not correct. The fake bank draft is one of the biggest scams out there. No point in giving you links, just google it.
    However, if you ever want to sell me a car and are willing to accept a draft just let me know and I will get one made out for the asking price.:D

Very hard to reverse an electronic transfer when the (temporary) account has been cleared out and closed.

edit; Thread going on at the moment about a guy buying in the Uk where the Dealer wont take a draft :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056514610

I would say an electronic transfer is impossible to reverse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Pottler wrote: »
    You need to hire "The Transporter".:D That or just stick the dosh in your pocket and head off. There will of course now be teams of international crooks attempting to hack your Boards account/scan your past posts for clues to your identity and generally track you down for the chance of 20k.:) Best thing to do would be tell no-one and just head off.

That's actually very good point.
    If I was to travel with 20grand in my pocket, there would be no chance to announce this fact on public forum in advance.
    Unless obviously OP is clever enough and he took care to remain 100% anonymous on this forum.

CiniO wrote: »
    That's actually very good point.
    If I was to travel with 20grand in my pocket, there would be no chance to announce this fact on public forum in advance.
    Unless obviously OP is clever enough and he took care to remain 100% anonymous on this forum.
    Almost impossible. Just for the craic, me, a computer oaf, already knows roughly where he lives, what sports he plays where and what clubs and societys he belongs to. I would be very circumspect in announcing things like this to the whole world, there are a lot of funny people out there and times are hard.:) There are people out there who can tell you exactly where and what you are using to browse the web and cross-reference info to find you in ten minutes flat. Really not trying to be alarmist, but where cash is involved, just shut up about it and transact quietly is often the best course of action. Not really aiming this at the OP, just saying in general.:)

• Advertisement

That is not correct. The fake bank draft is one of the biggest scams out there. No point in giving you links, just google it.
    However, if you ever want to sell me a car and are willing to accept a draft just let me know and I will get one made out for the asking price.:D

Very hard to reverse an electronic transfer when the (temporary) account has been cleared out and closed.

edit; Thread going on at the moment about a guy buying in the Uk where the Dealer wont take a draft :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056514610

when i do a electronic transfer to the uk it tells me to ensure sufficient funds are maintained or the transfer will be stopped

i deal in the tens of thousands a week in cash and drafts i can have the AIB check a draft for me by ringing the issuing bank it takes about three minutes its then gaurenteed i doubt this is unique

Almost impossible. Just for the craic, me, a computer oaf, already knows roughly where he lives, what sports he plays where and what clubs and societys he belongs to. I would be very circumspect in announcing things like this to the whole world, there are a lot of funny people out there and times are hard.:) There are people out there who can tell you exactly where and what you are using to browse the web and cross-reference info to find you in ten minutes flat. Really not trying to be alarmist, but where cash is involved, just shut up about it and transact quietly is often the best course of action. Not really aiming this at the OP, just saying in general.:)

you leave us rugby players alone :eek:

I would say an electronic transfer is impossible to reverse.
    once recieved mabey but there is a clearing period

I agree with all that, except first sentence.
    Remaining 100% anonymous on internet is possible, and can be done quite easily if you are cautious and smart.

when i do a electronic transfer to the uk it tells me to ensure sufficient funds are maintained or the transfer will be stopped

i deal in the tens of thousands a week in cash and drafts i can have the AIB check a draft for me by ringing the issuing bank it takes about three minutes its then gaurenteed i doubt this is unique
    Hmmm, the list grows longer by the minute! Cash you say!:D Oh and Cinio, I sincerely doubt it. :)

Oh and Cinio, I sincerely doubt it. :)

Little reading for quite evening.

Surely it's not 100% anonymity, but if used wisely will provide enough protection.
    Also just using any free hot-spots in public places where there isn't any cameras with a device configured not to relive any private data (like MAC numbers, serial numbers, etc) will provide you generally 100% anonimity on the internet.

Hmmm, the list grows longer by the minute! Cash you say!:D Oh and Cinio, I sincerely doubt it. :)

i'd whup yer head boi

(a) simply means that the funds are there in the issuing bank account (i.e. the buyer's a/c) or the transaction cannot proceed.

(b) As you are unable to even spell the word "guaranteed" I hope to God that it's not my ten's of thousands you are dealing with weekly.
    No bank can guarantee a draft from another bank within 3 minutes....it usually takes 3/4 weeks for a draft to be completely transferred, especially if it is drawn on a "foreign" bank.
    I suggested you google the 3 words "fake bank draft".
    I pointed out a current thread in Motors where a UK dealer will not accept a draft from an Irish buyer.
    I think we can leave it up to the OP to decide what method of payment will be accepted.

(a) simply means that the funds are there in the issuing bank account (i.e. the buyer's a/c) or the transaction cannot proceed.

(b) As you are unable to even spell the word "guarenteed" I hope to God that it's not my ten's of thousands you are dealing with weekly.
    No bank can guarentee a draft from another bank within 3 minutes....it usually takes 3/4 weeks for a draft to be completely transferred, especially if it is drawn on a "foreign" bank.
    I suggested you google the 3 words "fake bank draft".
    I pointed out a current thread in Motors where a UK dealer will not accept draft from an Irish buyer.
    I think we can leave it up to the OP to decide what method of payment will be accepted.

1 i'm dyslexic you dumb fucking seplling nazi
    2 the AIB can check for me wheter drafts are real
    3 i'm trying to answer the op there was no need to attack me personally

• Advertisement

2 the AIB can check for me wheter drafts are real

Not within 3 minutes they can't.....
    As for the rest of your post, I am simply stating facts which hopefully help the OP.
    I was not trying to attack you personally, but if you want to tell us all about the ten's of thousands you deal with every week then at least make an effort to convince us that you are for real by turning on your spellchecker;)

Just something to note, you've just put on boards that you'll be wandering around with £20k cash next week, I use the term wandering loosely, but anyway, it may or may not be easy for folks to perhaps identify you or where you live from one of your 2500 ish posts. Just something to be mindful of as £20k is an awful wad and there are some folks out there that wouldn't mind investing some time and effort into getting it off you.

Not wanting to worry or upset or offend or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Bank draft it is so

i'd whup yer head boi
    You wouldn't, honestly, but anyway, it's not me or people like me I would be protecting my personal financial status from. I have a very good friend in Galway who is head of security for a major Irish retailer and any time I go for a few pints with him he melts my head with the level of paranoia he exhibits and the rounds he goes to to protect his privacy/security. The reason he is like that is because he knows better than most what and who is out there. I laugh every time I watch him input his PIN into a credit card machine - he picks up the reader, cups it in his hands close to his chest and presses the buttons with his thumbs so no-one can see! He also insists that the reader stays in his line of sight so his card can't be skimmed. Because he deals with so many cases of card fraud daily. I could go on, but then everyone would end up as paranoid as he is!

Folks if yee can't be civil I will close this thread down. Last and only warning.

Folks if yee can't be civil I will close this thread down. Last and only warning.

its spelt ye not yee

how would you like it if someone questioned you abality to handle money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

its spelt ye not yee

how would you like it if someone questioned you abality to handle money

It's spelt "ability"

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's spelt "ability"
    nobody else dared point that out for fear of a ban Colm!:D