Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Foundation for my skin tone?

• 20-04-2012 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    I just started putting on make-up and I first used Clinique anti-blemish foundation in Fresh Ivory and then used the same one but in Alabaster. Both shades were slightly too strong. The Alabaster seemed to suit my sking tone better though. My skin is very fair and I would like a Clinique foundation that is the same colour as my neck! Do you have any suggestions? I was looking at the Clinique Tinted Moisturiser selection but the colours seem to be a little dark and I'm worried that it won't cover up my blemishes as well as the last one. I was also looking at the Clinique Even Better range and it seemed quite good but I do not know the difference btween this range and the Anti-Blemish range?

Also, I use Clinique's 3-step formula at night and in the morning. Ever since I have started wearing make-up about 7 months ago, I have found my skin has reddened quite a lot and has gotten a bit blotchier. Maybe I'm just imagining it but could their be a reason for this?

Oh and one last question, I started using mascara and am worried that my lashes are getting shorter! I've found that I've lost a few lashes (but maybe I just have to get used to it and I haven't lost many recently). Is there any reason for this? Does mascara cause lash loss or am I just noticing when I lose a lash now, whereas I wouldn't really have noticed before?

Thank you so much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Hi,
    I just started putting on make-up and I first used Clinique anti-blemish foundation in Fresh Ivory and then used the same one but in Alabaster. Both shades were slightly too strong. The Alabaster seemed to suit my sking tone better though. My skin is very fair and I would like a Clinique foundation that is the same colour as my neck! Do you have any suggestions? I was looking at the Clinique Tinted Moisturiser selection but the colours seem to be a little dark and I'm worried that it won't cover up my blemishes as well as the last one. I was also looking at the Clinique Even Better range and it seemed quite good but I do not know the difference btween this range and the Anti-Blemish range?

Also, I use Clinique's 3-step formula at night and in the morning. Ever since I have started wearing make-up about 7 months ago, I have found my skin has reddened quite a lot and has gotten a bit blotchier. Maybe I'm just imagining it but could their be a reason for this?

Oh and one last question, I started using mascara and am worried that my lashes are getting shorter! I've found that I've lost a few lashes (but maybe I just have to get used to it and I haven't lost many recently). Is there any reason for this? Does mascara cause lash loss or am I just noticing when I lose a lash now, whereas I wouldn't really have noticed before?

Thank you so much!

I'm pale as well and find the lightest shades of most foundations a tad too dark so I would recommend Revlon Colourstay in the lightest shade, Max Factor Weightless Foundation in their lightest shade or Lancome. I have Lancome Teint Miracle which comes in a great selection of shades!

Your mascara shouldn't cause any lash loss, just remember to remove your mascara carefully at night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I haven't used Clinique foundation in years so I can't really comment on their newer formulations. What I would advise when buying in general though would be to have a consultation at the counter and ask them to apply some. Then walk around and check it in different lighting (outside, in the shops etc) and see how it wears before buying. Or alternatively if you'd rather avoid a consultation for fear they'd colour match you wrong, you could ask for samples of their lightest ones. If they don't suit you though might be worth considering a different brand.

With mascara, as smokey eyes said be careful taking it off. Don't rub vigorously. make sure to use a decent remover for eyemakeup.

As regards the 3 step system, I was using it for a good year to year and a half and noticed the same blotchiness. I had some spots and when they cleared, I found they would be the areas to get reddest. I was given some no7 skincare for xmas so was trying that out and sure enough the redness settled right down and the marks from my spots are finally almost gone. Wouldn't mind but the no7 wasn't even for my skintype! Go figure! I'm back on Clinique cos I've got some to use up and so far it's fine. I feel the break away from it did my skin good though and I won't be repurchasing because I feel it's maybe a little harsh for me in the long term.

Sorry if that wasn't the most useful advice - just thought I'd give a bit of personal experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

Maybe if you stopped layering your foundation on your face you might find that you won't have so many problems.

I personally think that if your bottle of foundation doesn't last a mere 4 weeks, you're going around with the stolid appearance of an oompa loompa the majority of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HorseRiding

Thank you so much girls for the advice! I may switch from Clinique 3-step then as I do find when i take off my make-up, that two red small blotches remain on the sides of my nose! Maybe the harshness of the Clinique is the problem!! I think I have always had that problem though so maybe I'm just being silly!

As for Medicine333, who is my jealous sister who has been giving me the silent treatment for months and who actually was able to tell who I was even with the most random username I could possibly have conjured up, I could have done without her nasty "advice". I apply my make-up very thinly and it lasts me at least three to four months. I never look like an oompa loompa as she would like to believe. (She thought two weeks ago I was wearing fake tan or bronze tights, when I wasn't wearing either so her idea of an oompa loompa may be more an Albino version!!!).

I'll have a think about that then and decide which one is for me as I have come to the end of my bottle of foundation. It's so difficult to choose from the shades but I'll give it a try!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I always use a cream or gel cleanser to remove makeup, the no. 7 gel cleaner and liz Earle hot cloth cleanser is very gentle and will cleanse your face without making it red or blotchy. I bought get clinique 3 step skin care routine too, and I found the clarifying lotion is very harsh, I only use it twice a week to chemically exfoliate my skin.
    also you could look into getting a colour correcting primer for redness, smashbox do one

how do you remove eye makeup? I always use an eye makeup remover thats has an oil based and a water based solution that you shake together. no7 have a nice one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Horseriding and Medicine 333, take private private conversations to PM. Any further posts bitching will be deleted. Please stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 catherinej

I am ridiculously pale as well but I have recentley started to use the No.7 Liquid Mineral Makeup (can't remember the precise name of it at the mo!). I am loving and must say it gives my skin a great dewy glow.
    I was using the Clinique 3 step solution but found my skin became redder as the months passed. I have been using REN Clearcalm for the past 6 months and it is brillant. The clay formula removes any excess oil in your skin and I believe that there is Liquoric extract in it which calms any red patches. This means that I don't have to use anti-redness primers etc and have found that I don't need to use as much foundation as I used to.
    Well worth a look on the REN website, they always offer 2-3 freebies with your order and you can get a 10% dicount on your favourite product for life :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I think the Clinique 3-Step program is very harsh on the skin. Some of their toner lotions smell like nail polish remover! Maybe try a more gentle regime.

I'm pale also and use MAC NC15 or Bobbi Brown Alabaster foundations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Like the others have said, Clinique can be very harsh on the skin so maybe try giving it a wee break. I'm fierce pale myself and swear by my Bobbi Brown foundation. I wear porcelain and it's the second lightest shade as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Taelated

I'd skip the second step of Clinique's 3 step routine. Their clarifying lotion is too harsh, leaves your skin very dry and blotchy. I've been using Clinique since I was 15 but jsut skip that step. It's not necessary in my opinion anyway. If you really like toning, try Vichy's products.

In relation to foundation, I've read good reviews about Revlon's colourstay foundation for pale skins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I used to use the Clinique three-step-system and found after a few months it started to dry out my skin terribly so I had to stop using it. Now I use Neutrogena and have noticed a huge change in my skin.

To remove make up I use Lancôme Bi-Facil for eye make up. It's very gentle and takes off all eye make up. But make sure you don't rub your eyes too hard.

I find just holding the cotton pad to my eyelash for a minute and then gently rubbing gets all the make up (eyeshadow, mascara etc) off.

http://www.lancome.co.uk/_en/_gb/skincare/eye-care/makeup-removers/bi-facil-064033.aspx

For my face (foundation, powder etc) I use Clarins cleanser and toner and find it works well for me.

http://www.salonskincare.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/100/products_id/23169?osCsid=vurffliuhjhblho21ihd41prd5

http://www.salonskincare.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/100/products_id/23170?osCsid=vurffliuhjhblho21ihd41prd5

For a moisturiser I use Neutrogena's visibly clear oil free moisturiser which works very well for me. It's about €7 in Boots.

http://www.boots.com/en/Neutrogena-Visibly-Clear-Oil-Free-Moisturiser-50ml_11630/

For foundation, I use Bobbi Brown as I am quite pale and find their foundations very good, although expensive. You are look at €40 for a foundation.

I've used all the following from BB and can't complain about any of them.

SPF 15 Tinted Moisturizer Oil Free - The coverage is quite light (because it's a tinted moisturiser) and gives a matte finish.

http://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/product/5141/15932/Makeup/Face/Foundation/SPF-15-Tinted-Moisturizer-Oil-Free/Award-Winner/index.tmpl

Natural Finish Long Lasting Foundation SPF 15 - this foundation gives very light coverage and a matte finish. If you have any dry patches this foundation will show them up.

http://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/product/5141/7370/Makeup/Face/Foundation/Natural-Finish-Long-Lasting-Foundation-SPF-15/Award-Winner/index.tmpl

Skin Foundation SPF 15 - Again very light coverage, but you can build up the coverage, just be careful you don't get a 'caked look'. This foundation will show up dry patches.

http://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/product/5141/7637/Makeup/Face/Foundation/Skin-Foundation-SPF-15/Award-Winner/index.tmpl

Luminous Moisturizing Foundation - Lovely foundation, nice coverage, you can build up coverage too, but again you need to be careful of getting the 'caked look'. This foundation doesn't show up dry patches. It can look shiny and feel heavy though, so be wary of that.

http://www.bobbibrown.co.uk/product/5141/7554/Makeup/Face/Foundation/Luminous-Moisturizing-Foundation/Award-Winner/index.tmpl

If I use a setting powder I'll use M.A.C Blot Powder (only because it was a present) but Rimmel have a powder called "stay matte" which works just as well as M.A.C's Blot Powder but costs a fraction of M.A.C's Blot Poweder

http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/product/shaded/159/301/Products/Face/Powder/Blot-PowderPressed/index.tmpl

http://www.boots.com/en/Rimmel-Stay-Matte-Pressed-Powder_1015573/

Advertisement