Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biggest let down when you became an adult

• 20-04-2012 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

What things did you believe/want/aspire to as a child that were a total let down as an adult?

I thought it would be great to have a car and be able to drive everywhere, but the costs of petrol, insurance, tax and maintenance are denting the dream. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I thought adults would generally be intelligent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I really looked forward to drinking legally in pubs but it really just took a lot of the thrill out of it.

I thought my boobs would be bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Well, when I was a kid I fully expected to be an astronaut or a fire truck when I grew up, so adulthood has been a crushing disappointment for me thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Voting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Having a hairy arse, gone are the days of my youth when one clean wipe would suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

As a child i suppose the only time i got post was on my birthday. Happy cash filled cards from loving, far away Aunts who couldint smother you with slobbery kisses, Heaven.

Growing up meant getting post, proper post :( I didint realise at the time it meant bills.

Fúck you mista postman, you dream killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Biggest let down...my erection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

No let down in my adult life will ever compare to turning six and having to move onto Calpol 6+. Bleurgh!! The stuff is rank. Still, I suppose as an adult being bigger and all, I could probably drink a whole bottle of Calpol next time I have a headache! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I thought I'd have waaaaay more one night stands :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I thought I'd have waaaaay more one night stands :(

PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Well, when I was a kid I fully expected to be an astronaut or a fire truck when I grew up, so adulthood has been a crushing disappointment for me thus far.

A cardboard box and a bit of imagination, you could be the best darn fire truck in town! makeawishfoundation.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I wanted to be a multi-millionaire, have a massive mansion and a stretched limo. Epic Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

When I was younger, I was told you get better looking as you get older, fcuking liars:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

my astronaut plans have come to nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I thought the primary school-level bitchiness would die off, as being a grown-up surely meant gaining maturity.

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

A cardboard box and a bit of imagination, you could be the best darn fire truck in town! makeawishfoundation.com

There'll be no need for that, I've already fulfilled my real wish in life. I don't really want to go into detail but I had to have my bottom ribs removed to make it happen.

Totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

the economy... the year i was leaving school was when the s**t started hitting the fan:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Making my own decisions. When I was a teenager I couldn't wait to do my own thing and now that I'm an adult I'm the most indecisive person ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

jokettle wrote: »
    I thought the primary school-level bitchiness would die off, as being a grown-up surely meant gaining maturity.

Nope.

Just avoid those who havent matured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I thought I'd have all the answers.
    To be honest life isn't working out the way I wanted it to really so life in general, but **** it, it's the weekend now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I thought adults would generally be intelligent.

Same here, they really aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

I thought I'd be about 8feet tall. Other then that just jobs/careers not being what you thought, and the fact no matter what the job monday morning still sucks. And that constant feeling of waiting to wake up one morning feeling 'adulty' and all grown up instead of a kid/teenager thats just got very old and kinda wants to be young again, Im pretty sure every adult is just a kid pretending :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Oh that's done, it's just a bit disappointing that some people have the "If you're MY friend, then you can't be HER friend!" mentality in their mid-20s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

I thought my life would become perfect as soon as I hit 18. at 23 I am still waiting. I still cannot drive, I live at home, I haven't travelled as much as I wanted too, my love life isn't where I thought it would be. Basically, I think I was much better of as a child... about 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

All those fuckin bills start arriving as soon as the flow of pocket-money dries up, and you have to get on the jobs treadmill until you die to pay for em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Marriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

AS A kid I wanted to join the nypd or play for the mighty ducks. Didn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I was pretty sure teleportation would have been invented by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Tax. Looking at all that money just disappearing into the abyss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

ye know the whole having a job, girlfriend /wife, kids self respect thing

I have to say it did not turn out as I imagined at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I'll be avoiding the bullet that is marraige, kids, and settling down until it becomes an unavoidable hail of machine gun fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

jokettle wrote: »
    Oh that's done, it's just a bit disappointing that some people have the "If you're MY friend, then you can't be HER friend!" mentality in their mid-20s!

I know how you feel. There are actually a lot of people in their 20's who still have the mentality of an angsty teen. I try not to pay attention to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

that crap sex exists, wouldn't have thunk it as a teenager

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭mightdomighty

cocoshovel wrote: »

Difficult, if you have to work with them :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Not all women have bodies like pamela anderson, Fuk you Baywatch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Moving away from home and losing touch with friends. When you're young you think the good times will never stop. Post-college life can involve a lot of adjustment and rebuilding of social circles. It did for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I always wanted to be really tall, now that I am I hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

My flute didn't get bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I'm surprised and let down by how many people seem to define adulthood as actively pursuing unhappiness at every possible opportunity. Where is it written that you have to be a dull cunt with a boring job and a failed marriage just because you're 35?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

I thought I would be able to slap women I don't know on the ass in the street and they would love it, boy was I wrong about that :o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I'm surprised and let down by how many people seem to define adulthood as actively pursuing unhappiness at every possible opportunity. Where is it written that you have to be a dull cunt with a boring job and a failed marriage just because you're 35?

I don't think people planned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Working a long day. Feeling tired. Coming home. Feeling tired. Eating a frozen pizza. Feeling tired. Watching a bit of tv, then going to bed. Repeat over and over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I expected to feel like an adult.
    Like I had it all figured out and was all sophisticated or something.
    I still feel like a big kid. I prefer it this way tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

I think the getting to college and no longer being one of the smartest in your year/class/whatever and realising there are people out there who are far more intelligent is a bit of a shocker for a lot of people. It was for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

bronte wrote: »
    I expected to feel like an adult.
    Like I had it all figured out and was all sophisticated or something.
    I still feel like a big kid. I prefer it this way tbh.

Expanding on this.. Always remember when I was a teenager that someone who was 30+ was an 'adult'. Now I'm 31 and I don't feel like an adult at all. Also when I see 18yr olds they look and act like kids but I can't remember being like that when I was that age....

My biggest disappointment now I'm grown up?? I now know 40+ yr old women I fancy :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Expanding on this.. Always remember when I was a teenager that someone who was 30+ was an 'adult'. Now I'm 31 and I don't feel like an adult at all. Also when I see 18yr olds they look and act like kids but I can't remember being like that when I was that age....

My biggest disappointment now I'm grown up?? I now know 40+ yr old women I fancy :(

Exactly!
    Maybe you always question things and never really have "all the answers"
    All I know is it's a lot more fun to be a 28 year old who still laughs at toilet sounds than the stuffy "together" person I imagined I'd be.
    Ah, well!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won't. We're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

- Tyler Durden aka Brad Pitt

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

Having an office job with my very own computer and phone... seemed so much better when I was 8

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Advertisement
Advertisement