Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biggest let down when you became an adult

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

I thought my boobs would be bigger.

I thought my boobs would be smaller

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

In all seriousness I think we have certain ideals as to what freedoms we will have when we reach adulthood.

Yet the vast majority of people do not entertain these freedoms. Utility bills and 9 to 5 working hours trap us into an existence where we're unable to truly pursue the things we want to. Then before long all your friends get married and you feel pressured because you're a weak individual with a weak sense of reality and feel the need to do the same.

Before you know it you're married to a woman you wouldn't have exactly selected had you had a wider range to choose from, you have children that require you to stay in employment and burn up all of your energy (all the while knowing these little runts will grow up to be very average people just like their father) and the limited free time you do have is wasted on watching sports and washing the car.

A braver man would end it all right now but I figure I only have around 60 more years and then it's all over. Might as well ride it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I thought my boobs would be bigger.

I thought my boobs would be smaller (I'm a bloke :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

The whole thing about staying up as late as i wanted, im in bed by 10 most nights these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

In all seriousness I think we have certain ideals as to what freedoms we will have when we reach adulthood.

Yet the vast majority of people do not entertain these freedoms. Utility bills and 9 to 5 working hours trap us into an existence where we're unable to truly pursue the things we want to. Then before long all your friends get married and you feel pressured because you're a weak individual with a weak sense of reality and feel the need to do the same.

Before you know it you're married to a woman you wouldn't have exactly selected had you had a wider range to choose from, you have children that require you to stay in employment and burn up all of your energy (all the while knowing these little runts will grow up to be very average people just like their father) and the limited free time you do have is wasted on watching sports and washing the car.

A braver man would end it all right now but I figure I only have around 60 more years and then it's all over. Might as well ride it out.

**Sob**

• Registered Users Posts: 46 froglet

like in "Hall Pass" ....
    the lads never thought that they'd still be bating off after they got married..."didnt see that one coming"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Having to pay for your own sun holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

biggest let down?...Thinking that your mam and dad were wrong when they always said to me when they saw the hurt in my eyes..."Life doesn't make you sad, people do"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Ronin247 wrote: »
    I thought my boobs would be smaller
    I thought my boobs would be smaller (I'm a bloke :D)

So am I.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Ronin247 wrote: »
    So am I.:D

Bet my boobs are nicer than yours :)

Being pert an all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

As a child/teenager I always believed people's claims that they would never be like their parents. I'm not at that stage myself, but it's becoming clearer all the time that most of them do end up that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I never thought Fight Club would become such a cultural touchstone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

That the leaving cert will be the hardest serious of exams....loda ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭afrodub

Being able to stay up past midnight and then wasting my time writing pointless immediately forgotten comments on internet forums,whilst thinking ...just where did the time go,and wishing I was sixteen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

For some reason this thread reminded me of this:

Ughhhh... I'm going to start living my dreams. Never thought i'd become a bore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

That you don't learn all the answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Working a long day. Feeling tired. Coming home. Feeling tired. Eating a frozen pizza. Feeling tired. Watching a bit of tv, then going to bed. Repeat over and over.

they taste better cooked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Biggest let down when I became an adult....?

I'd have to say, not being able to fit 10 hula hops on my fingers anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

AvP and Terminator 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Iomega Man wrote: »
    Biggest let down when I became an adult....?

I'd have to say, not being able to fit 10 hula hops on my fingers anymore

Did all the hula hoops make you fat?

I hope you meant the crisp form and not the twirl around your appendage type. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

my biggest let down was having to pay TAX!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Realizing just how unfair life really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The solace of the womb to the solace of the tomb. You start out helpless and needing assistance if you are lucky you end up helpless and needing assistance. It all seems very pointless at times, I suppose it is.

My biggest disappointment as an adult was finding out adults are as unsure and as uncertain as children. I really did think you must reach a stage and have all the answers. But as you grow older there is a comfort, you give less of a sh1t about things, which is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

skinny90 wrote: »
    That the leaving cert will be the hardest serious of exams....loda ****e

Not the most difficult but probably the most stressful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Robdude wrote: »
    Realizing just how unfair life really is.

This. And voting is really pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Paparazzo wrote: »
    This. And voting is really pointless
    Tell that to FF.

I miss the sense of potential. The longer you go on in life, the fewer choices you have. Everyone has choices, but a man in a nursing home has less than a student picking their college course. I regret nothing but its one of those realities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I regret ditching a person because of their shoes:D
    Really hot guy
    Fukcing winklepickers:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

That your parents were generally right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Being a kid has its benefits for sure but being an adult is far preferable IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I thought I could eat sweets, crisps and fizzy drinks whenever I wanted. I can, but now I worry about the consequences:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Crimbouser

The boredom... The intense, mind crushing boredom that hits ya now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

That adultls wouldn't be as shallow, narrow-minded or cliquey as kids or teenagers. In the words of Edna Krabappel... HA!:rolleyes: I'm still getting sh1t from people in work ( in their 30's) for liking 'weird' music a.k.a. not pop/chart sh1te. I really though that crap was behind me.

Another real killer is the realisation that you'll never again have a proper 2-3 month long summer, where you do sweet feck-all except arse around, meet young ones/fellas and drink. Now, it's 2 weeks max and you're fcuking thankful for it. :(

I always assumed I'd just naturally transform into a 'pretty girl' like a Disney princess when I was a kid- didn't happen either!

Being able to eat pizza and sweets for dinner if I feel like it is as awesome as I always imagined it would be though!:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

As a ten-year- old i dreaded the ideas i associated with adulthood and quite rightly too but there is good and i'm not puzzled all the time as i was then .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I was sure that I would be millionaire with lots of properties and be a succesful developer before I was thirty ..... And I was :D, however, At 34 things are a little bit different! Ultimate fail :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

My whole young life I assumed that once I became an adult my Mother would not only let me decide for myself any situation in life but that I would finally find us having a mutual respect for each other on making those decisions.

Never happened - what has happened though is that I became the adult and she has the childish tantrums when she doesn't get her own way. :(

Still wouldn't go back to being a child for all the money in the world though - what an absolute nightmare!! At least now I can get in my car and drive away from all the insanity!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The process of growing up was nothing more than figuring out what doors hadn't yet been slammed in your face.
    Jodi Picoult

Housework :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Housework :(

whaaaaaaaaa ?

whoopsy

:confused:

some old school tunes and some cleaning never fails to satisfy

Am i strange ? :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I haven't learned how to fly, or use magic, or shoot lasers from my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Probably happens to most in their early teens as oppose to adulthood but the day you realise that you can't take everyone at face value is probably one of the most disappointing days of your life. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Probably happens to most in their early teens as oppose to adulthood but the day you realise that you can't take everyone at face value is probably one of the most disappointing days of your life. :(

+million on this imho!!

it is one of the earth shattering days in your life in a bad way but at least after you find that out, a very valuable lesson is learned which makes life easier in the long run :)

Snowie wrote: »

Am i strange ? :(

Maybe!
    MCMLXXV wrote: »

I still haven't learned this. I take everyone at face value!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Expanding on this.. Always remember when I was a teenager that someone who was 30+ was an 'adult'. Now I'm 31 and I don't feel like an adult at all. Also when I see 18yr olds they look and act like kids but I can't remember being like that when I was that age....

My biggest disappointment now I'm grown up?? I now know 40+ yr old women I fancy :(

+1,000,000 on this. I'm just about to finish college and I haven't a clue how to be a "grown-up". This article sums it up so well I feel.
    You Don't Become An Adult, You Just Suddenly Are One

When I was younger and looked that I considered to be adults, I had a number of various feelings, depending on who I was looking at. Respect and awe, for those who seemed to know everything. Contempt, for some authority figures with whom I had a whole lot of pointless, adolescent trouble. Pity, for the few who, to me, "just didn't get it and never would, man." Even though my specific opinions changed from person to person, they all fell under the same umbrella of characterization: this person is an Adult.

Some are worse than others, but they're all in the same general class of Adulthood, they all know how the world works, they've all undergone whatever fundamental change one eventually undergoes when one becomes an Adult, and they're all operating on a much different level from me and everyone I knew. They've taken the test, or they've seen the light or whatever it is you do when you get promoted from being just a dude to being a Man.

Certainly you're not an adult, because you're just wandering around, still trying to figure out how life works as you go along.

The Reality

There's no test, there's no light, and there's no tangible event that signifies the transition into adulthood. You don't enter an organization of adulthood. There's not, like, a guy hanging around at your college graduation who comes up to you and says "Now that you're an adult, here's all of our secret knowledge about existence, and how to live as a functioning human outside of the school system.

There's no class or test or paperwork to sign. One day you just realize you're a person who pays bills. You're a person who signs up for a club card at your local grocery store because, "Oh, I might as well, I'm there so often." You're a person who gradually is getting less and less familiar with whatever's going on in pop music. You can vote and rent a car and get married and have kids, and it's not weird, it's normal.

You're an adult, and no one told you.

And you don't fundamentally change as a result of this realization. You don't gain new knowledge. You don't feel like an adult, you don't have everything under control. You're still dumb. You're still the guy who, a few years ago, was probably sleeping in a full bathtub in college, because you were out of blankets in your dorm room and it seemed like the only logical way to stay warm through the night and, yes, that is a thing that I did. You're the exact same person, except suddenly society has thrust you into the Adult category.

Remember when you were a kid and you saw adults as all-knowing authority figures who had **** figured out? As the people who were allowed to tell you what to do and make rules, because they were the ones who were running the world? That's what kids think when they see you, even though you're an idiot.

Getting married doesn't mean you change as a person and instantly gain a bunch of previously concealed knowledge about life. You get more responsibilities when you have a kid but, really, you're still the exact same person you always were. Because, here's the thing, no one makes you take a test or fill out a form to have a baby, you just have one. You can do that right now, and then you'd be a parent. Your parents never went to parenting school or passed a series of complex physical challenges, they just had you.

The state will just let you have a baby tomorrow, no questions asked. Hell, if you want a gun in California, you have to fill out an application, take a safety test, sign three forms, and then wait ten days, and after all that they might not even GIVE you one if you've got a history of mental instability. Meanwhile, you are legally free to make your own baby army, this second, because that is a thing adults do, and adult is a thing that you are. You don't have to take a test or sign any paperwork to have a baby, you can just make one.

As great as your parents were/are, and as much as they seemed to have it all figured out, you might be shocked to discover that they were making it up as they went along. Just like you.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-they-never-told-us/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I hate having to spend my money on things like washing powder, bleach and washing up liquid. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Can't believe nobody's said sex yet.

• Advertisement

Blisterman wrote: »
    Can't believe nobody's said sex yet.

What does that tell you?
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Liverpool are STILL shiiiiiite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Spending all your teenage years dying to finish school and get a cool job that pays lots of money. I wish now I could go back and relive those days foe the great times they were instead of dreaming it all away.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

I would say being an adult is a big let down in itself compared to childhood... I remember wanting to grow up fast when i was a child... Now my biggest dream would be to have no worries or responsabilities and have someone looking after my every need...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I would say being an adult is a big let down in itself compared to childhood... I remember wanting to grow up fast when i was a child... Now my biggest dream would be to have no worries or responsabilities and have someone looking after my every need...:rolleyes:

That'll come around when you are 85

• Advertisement
Advertisement