Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap foundation primer

• 20-04-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a foundation primer that might help to smooth out my skin. I have a lot of small blemishes and little patches where old blemishes are healing. Although I moisturise well before makeup application, I do find that foundation and concealer can collect around these areas and highlight them even more. I was hoping that a primer could help to solve this problem. (If you think it won't please advise me on what I can try :) ) If it helped with the longevity of foundation as well then happy days!

Anyway, I was looking at bourjois flower perfection primer. I tried the tester in boots and it has a lovely soft texture. Has anyone tried it? Does it do the job?

I've also seen a rimmel one. Again does anyone have much experience of this one?

I was quite surprised at how costly the loreal studio secrets was and was a little put off but I might stretch to the 20euro or so if it was worth it.

Any advice would be welcome, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Emzyxoxo

hey I have the boots no17 one :) I find it good considering ive very dry skin, you should give it a go its only about 7 euro and I think its just as good as the brand names one! I would also defo recommend urban decay primers! they are the best ever! quite expensive though but defo worth it you can even get it in a colour to match your foundation or just the regular one, hope this helps, Emzy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Alanerin218

I am a Makeup Artist and in my kit I carry the Rimmel one and it is very good especially for the price. But if you are looking to smooth out textured skin, I would suggest the GOSH Anti Wrinkle/Aging Foundation Primer. Its every bit as good as the Smashbox primers and half the price. I believe the Rimmel is about 8 euro, the GOSH is 19 euro and Smashbox is 38 euro. Rimmel is nice, but if you have very patchy/bumpy skin, I would go with GOSH.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I am a Makeup Artist and in my kit I carry the Rimmel one and it is very good especially for the price. But if you are looking to smooth out textured skin, I would suggest the GOSH Anti Wrinkle/Aging Foundation Primer. Its every bit as good as the Smashbox primers and half the price. I believe the Rimmel is about 8 euro, the GOSH is 19 euro and Smashbox is 38 euro. Rimmel is nice, but if you have very patchy/bumpy skin, I would go with GOSH.

Hope this helps.

I was actually coming on here to ask a question about primers, but since there is one here already, i'll just tag my question on! I am finding that my makeup is sinking into the lines around my eyes and mouth. I try and go easy on the foundation and powder on these areas, but it still ends up making my wrinkles look much worse. Will a primer help with this?

I would be quite prone to spots and have some acne scars like the OP, would a primer help to mask these also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

http://www.lisaeldridge.com/blog/12742/my-new-favourite-prime-thats-not-a-primer/

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=96363/Cicaplast/La_Roche_Posay/Treatments

If you've got skin problems it might be worth trying out La Roche Posay Cicaplast. I bought the one recommended by Lisa Eldridge and its recommended for people after facial peels etc as it helps with healing.

La Roche Posay have brought out a cheaper version of this recently but I can't say how that one would work as a primer.

If you're getting it it seems to be more expensive in Boots so just try a normal pharmacy - I paid about €18 in boots but have since given it to my Mam as she is getting a sun spot removed from her face so it sounded like it would be good for it.

I'm using Benefit The Porefessional as a primer at the mo - to be honest I never really notice a difference when I use a primer but just slap it on anyway!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I would recommend Lanacane Anti Chaffing Gel. It's basically the same as a Smashbox primer but for a fraction of the price.

Here are some reviews: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=109516/Lanacane_Anti-Chafing_Gel/0/Primer/_Corrector

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    I was actually coming on here to ask a question about primers, but since there is one here already, i'll just tag my question on! I am finding that my makeup is sinking into the lines around my eyes and mouth. I try and go easy on the foundation and powder on these areas, but it still ends up making my wrinkles look much worse. Will a primer help with this?

I would be quite prone to spots and have some acne scars like the OP, would a primer help to mask these also?

Yes! Primer will definitely help that! I would suggest the GOSH Anti Wrinkle Primer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for that! Would both rimmel and gosh be suitable for oily combination skin? Also what is the main benefit of the rimmel - is it more for making makeup long wearing?

kandr10 wrote: »
    Thanks for that! Would both rimmel and gosh be suitable for oily combination skin? Also what is the main benefit of the rimmel - is it more for making makeup long wearing?

The rimmel would be just to help the foundation glide on better and makeup stay a little longer. The GOSH would be for people with bumps and spot scaring and textured skin. It would fill in the dips and wrinkles of your face to make it appear much more even and smooth and would also help to keep foundation on longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I've tried the primer from Catrice and found it to be pretty god ! only like 5 euro aswell ! Its called Prime and Fine, they have a translucent powder in the Prime and Fine range aswell, Penneys stock Catrice and some Dunnes and Pharmacies too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Have to agree the Rimmel primer is really nice, my skin is quite dry and this leaves it hydrated and smooth!

Great tips for the Gosh primer, sounds fab I want it for my kit now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Taelated

I just got Revlon's new photoshop primer and find it really great, even to wear alone with some powder. It covers up the pores on my nose really well. I think it's on offer in Boots at the min around 14euro, I got it for 12 something with my student account. It comes in two shades 001 and 002, but both blend well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

My favourites are Smashbox and Boots 17.

The 17 one is every bit as good as the Smashbox one, but only a fraction of the price!

Gosh and Lancome are pretty good too, but I find that they're a little bit too "liquidy", or something!!

Emzyxoxo wrote: »
    hey I have the boots no17 one :) I find it good considering ive very dry skin, you should give it a go its only about 7 euro and I think its just as good as the brand names one! I would also defo recommend urban decay primers! they are the best ever! quite expensive though but defo worth it you can even get it in a colour to match your foundation or just the regular one, hope this helps, Emzy :)

Thanks for the recommendation! Do you think the no7 would fair well on oily combo skin though? Would be great to get one on the vouchers!

Sorry just realised its 17! Never saw that one before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Highly recommend Gosh Velvet Touch Primer.. Think it's about 12 or 13 euro, but it lasts quite a while, you really don't need that much as it's quite thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Emzyxoxo

kandr10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendation! Do you think the no7 would fair well on oily combo skin though? Would be great to get one on the vouchers!

Sorry just realised its 17! Never saw that one before!
    hey! ya no 17 is boots own brand, not sure about oily combo skin because i have very dry skin but I would recommend you try it out! its only cheap and it just glides on and its not very greasy or anything!
    hope this helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I recommend Barbara Daly's primer... I get it from Tesco, but most reports I had read on it compared it to Benefit primer.. And I do find it brilliant I have to say. It's about a tenner sterling.. Not sure you can get it in Ireland, but I'm pretty sure you can.

Thanks for all the recommendations! I initially thought 20 was too much for me at the moment to spend so discounted gosh on that basis....then went to boots and spent about 1/2 and hour choosing between rimmels one and bourjois. I tried them on the back of my hand, left them a while to see if they were oily looking and if my hand looked any different. Then the sales assistant approached....and started doing the hard sell on no7. She said her makeup split through the day while wearing the bourjois. The rimmel one was quite shiny looking on my hand so I went with the no7 airbrush one. Although it was 20 something, I was able to use some vouchers and some of my points to pay for it so worked out well.
    Anyway, after that ramble, it's a lovely primer and I'd recommend it if you have oily combination skin like me. It mattifies the oily bits and help counteract some of the 'cakiness' I was experiencing around my dry patches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

coco_lola wrote: »
    Highly recommend Gosh Velvet Touch Primer.. Think it's about 12 or 13 euro, but it lasts quite a while, you really don't need that much as it's quite thick.

Its nice but the only place ive seen it is Aware Tallaght and its 19 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Pythia wrote: »
    I would recommend Lanacane Anti Chaffing Gel. It's basically the same as a Smashbox primer but for a fraction of the price.

Here are some reviews: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=109516/Lanacane_Anti-Chafing_Gel/0/Primer/_Corrector

I am absolutely giving this a go :) Thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Does anyone know if the new Revlon Photoready primer is ok for dry skin?? Really want to try it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

anyone tried no.7 primer?
    was just in boots now and a lovely lady gave me two lil tester pots..
    one of airbrush primer (25.90)
    and one sheer matte primer (15.90)

il test em out and let you guys know :)
    just wondering if anyone has tried em too?

shakencat wrote: »
    anyone tried no.7 primer?
    was just in boots now and a lovely lady gave me two lil tester pots..
    one of airbrush primer (25.90)
    and one sheer matte primer (15.90)

il test em out and let you guys know :)
    just wondering if anyone has tried em too?
    I got the airbrush one and I like it a lot. Its the first primer ive used so have nothing to compare it to but I like that it sinks into the skin easily and isnt greasy. I found makeup easier to apply over it. Bit pricey though - I used various vouchers and points on my card to help with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Pythia wrote: »

Where do you get this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

superdrug primers are cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Belle Morte

I find Avon's MagiX really good too and it's only about a tenner :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

ncmc wrote: »

Shiseido do one called the refining primer. Its especially good for acne scarring and pores. I use it on my T zone and love it.

I would avoid the smashbox one i find it leaves residue. I find all of their products overpriced to be honest.

The MAC one is good also

Advertisement