Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook push notification

• 20-04-2012 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Why is it when I turn them off in settings the next time I have a look they are all turned on again? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Did you disable them in Settings > Notifications?

Signing out of Facebook when leaving the app is probably the best thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Did you disable them in Settings > Notifications?

Signing out of Facebook when leaving the app is probably the best thing to do.

Yep, even inside the app itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

make sure notification centre is set to off and alert style is set to none and view in lock screen is set to off

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Which settings are turning themselves back on? The iOS or Facebook ones?

darokane wrote: »
    make sure notification centre is set to off and alert style is set to none and view in lock screen is set to off

Done that.

Which settings are turning themselves back on? The iOS or Facebook ones?

The iOS ones in the settings app.

• Advertisement

That means the Facebook app keeps turning them back on. I dunno, it's just a very badly written app. Sign out when you aren't using it. Or use the website instead.

In my experience Facebook don't like you turning off any of their notifications. My email inbox was getting raped with their automated emails and no matter what I disabled in my account settings they kept coming. In the end I redirected them to an old spam address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

It is mainly down to the fact that the FB app is really bad. But also it usually turns all the Notifications back on when you download an update for the app as well.

Right, I see.

And what about facebook through Flipboard?

Still as bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

Seems to happen with the Facebook app a lot - very annoying! That thing is riddled with bugs - riddled!!!!

Only solution I know of is to manually edit the push notifications in Settings - Facebook whenever they reappear. It's not a Notification Centre issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've been driven mad lately with FB push notifications on my phone - a Samsung Galaxy S6 if it makes any difference.

I've uninstalled the app, so am only using FB on the m.facebook.com website - no difference. I've checked settings in the phone - no difference (because I don't have the app). I've disabled push notifications within FB itself (via Chrome) - no difference.

Every time I go back to Account Settings - Notifications - Mobile, push notifications are turned on again, despite me having just turned them off.

Does anyone know if this is a glitch in FB, or am I missing something obvious? I want to turn off ALL FB push notifications for the phone.

Hopefully someone can help!!!

(Mods, this is the newest thread I could find on this topic, please feel free to move to a new thread if you don't want old ones revived)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I've been driven mad lately with FB push notifications on my phone - a Samsung Galaxy S6 if it makes any difference.

I've uninstalled the app, so am only using FB on the m.facebook.com website - no difference. I've checked settings in the phone - no difference (because I don't have the app). I've disabled push notifications within FB itself (via Chrome) - no difference.

Every time I go back to Account Settings - Notifications - Mobile, push notifications are turned on again, despite me having just turned them off.

Does anyone know if this is a glitch in FB, or am I missing something obvious? I want to turn off ALL FB push notifications for the phone.

Hopefully someone can help!!!

(Mods, this is the newest thread I could find on this topic, please feel free to move to a new thread if you don't want old ones revived)

Just came across this article and could be related to your issue. Maybe it's chrome causing the notifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

DubDJ wrote: »
    Just came across this article and could be related to your issue. Maybe it's chrome causing the notifications.
    That sounds like it might be what's happening..... thanks!

Shame it doesn't tell you how to disable the fecking things though.

Will dig around the Chrome settings and see how I get on - although I haven't had any notifications in the last day or two so maybe I've accidentally hit on the solution.

(Just noticed that I posted this in the Apple Devices forum - apologies :o)

Advertisement