Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain Registration help

Options
  • 20-04-2012 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm in the process of looking to register a domain name which is my surname, as it's not a common (Murphy, Barry, Smith) surname.

After looking in to this it seems one must have a business in order to register a domain in this format.

My current situation is, I do not own or run any business, but my family do run a local newsagents. Could I register a domain under this business? I've search the CRO but I couldn't find our shop details anywhere...

I'm also about to release a Smartphone application on the Market in the next week or so. Can I create some kind of business through this? Even if I don't intend on charging for the application?

My other thoughts are, I currently work as a Tech Consultant for a large IT corporation, could I create my own Consulting or IT business that would intend on offering services to people as a side-job?

TLDR; I want to buy a domain with the format /surname/, but I do not currently own/run a business. What are my options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

What extension are you looking for? Nothing stopping you registering a .com. Registering an .ie is more complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mmmbaileys

Unfortunately someone has already registered this as a .com .net .org .co.uk already.

This person is obviously English, which is why the .ie domain is still available I'm assuming. I thought about asking the person if they'd be interested in selling, but they seem to be an established name in the IT gaming industry so I'd imagine he's not willing to let it go for cheap.

Can anyone clarify what kind of options I have if I specifically want a .ie domain?

See my original post for a few ideas I have, but not sure about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I'd check other extensions first eg. .eu and .me

Registering your surname as a .ie domain name is not easy - you'd need to have a registered business name for it.

I understand that, but what I'd like to know is if it's possible to register a business given the scenario's I pointed out above?

(family newsagents, selling a Smartphone app, set up a (pretend) IT solution business with the intent to do business)

• Advertisement

mmmbaileys wrote: »
    I understand that, but what I'd like to know is if it's possible to register a business given the scenario's I pointed out above?

(family newsagents, selling a Smartphone app, set up a (pretend) IT solution business with the intent to do business)

To register a business name just follow the instructions on the CRO site: http://www.cro.ie/ena/business-registration-business-name.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Blacknight wrote: »
    you'd need to have a registered business name for it.

Usually yes, but not if he intends to register his own surname and is already trading under that name. All you need to do is register as a sole trader and apply for a vat-id under your own name. Then send the domain registration off with a letter from revenue attached, which should be stating your name and your vat number. That should do the trick.

Edit: see here...

Quaderno wrote: »
    Usually yes, but not if he intends to register his own surname and is already trading under that name. All you need to do is register as a sole trader and apply for a vat-id under your own name. Then send the domain registration off with a letter from revenue attached, which should be stating your name and your vat number. That should do the trick.

Edit: see here...
    The IEDR generally will not allow a surname as a "personal trading name", which is why I was pushing him in the direction of the registered business name.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Blacknight wrote: »
    The IEDR generally will not allow a surname as a "personal trading name", which is why I was pushing him in the direction of the registered business name.
    I didn't know that. My only personal experience is with my own domain, and in this specific case it worked as a trading name after providing a vat-id - although it had indeed been rejected by IEDR initially. After your colleague Haley kindly intervened the decision was reviewed though and I eventually got the domain I wanted. In the whois it is now marked as "sole trader" which is fine. So maybe worth a shot anyway...

Quaderno wrote: »
    I didn't know that. My only personal experience is with my own domain, and in this specific case it worked as a trading name after providing a vat-id - although it had indeed been rejected by IEDR initially. After your colleague Haley kindly intervened the decision was reviewed though and I eventually got the domain I wanted. In the whois it is now marked as "sole trader" which is fine. So maybe worth a shot anyway...

The problem is that the IEDR aren't as consistent as they could be.

While they might have accepted something at one point there's no guarantee that they will currently or in the future, which is why the registered business name route is the sanest for all parties involved.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info guys.

Is it possible to register a business name for the purpose of selling Smarthphone Apps do you know?

I'm about to release one, more than likely for free, maybe I could use this as a way to register the domain I want?

Thanks for the info guys.

Is it possible to register a business name for the purpose of selling Smarthphone Apps do you know?

I'm about to release one, more than likely for free, maybe I could use this as a way to register the domain I want?

You can register a business name for any *legal* activity.

The CRO's online system will ask you for a basic description of the business activity, so you can put it in there

Hmmm *legal* activity...not sure about that one

Surely buying an app (even if free) involves some form of legal activity?

Hmmm *legal* activity...not sure about that one

Surely buying an app (even if free) involves some form of legal activity?

Yes. What I was hinting at was that you couldn't register a business name for an illegal activity :)

Advertisement