Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brooke's

Options
  • 20-04-2012 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Heard just now that at 4:30 when workers were about to go home they were told there was no more work for them and the place was closing down.
    Bad form from management not to give the lads some sort of notice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ILoveShoez

Oh that's bad form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

jaysus i'd take em to labour court

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

In fairness,the writing was on the wall for a good while

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Even if it is they should of been given

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Even if it is they should of been given proper notice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/220-jobs-saved-as-bht-assets-sold-548388.html
    Management didn't get much notice either id say. Anyway if they had told em sooner they would probably just have another sit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

My friend works there. It's been coming a long time but yea its true unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

That's sad to hear, my former workplace used to get their timber from Brooks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Two days ago they sent out a newsletter with offers and pricing, didn't seem to think there was concern then anywyay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

eh? where's the surprise?

Brooks have been in examinership for about 2 months now - basically they were bust and a team of accountants have been there for 2 months seeing if there was any way of saving it.

Therefore if you worked there you knew that jobs were on the line and that closure was a very possible if not probable outome.

The good news is Tubs & tiles and heatmerchants arms have been sold and all those jobs have been saved.

An announcement on Brooks will be made next Monday and the stores will re-open Tuesday, but possibly only in a closing down sale mode with minimal short term emloyment.

• Advertisement

Gates to premesis is still closed today. I've seen the Heatmerchants vans clearing out their section of it. Wonder where they are moving to now

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DubGal10

Only Bluebell & Sandyford branches open in Dublin today,

cococoady wrote: »
    Gates to premesis is still closed today. I've seen the Heatmerchants vans clearing out their section of it. Wonder where they are moving to now
    prob back to there former premises ???

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

I pulled up there today at about 1.55 to find gates closed, figured they might be closed for lunch or something. Waited till about 2.10, in that time there was at least 3 cars pulled up looking to go in, and 2 vans. No such thing as a sign on the gate explaining to people whats going on! I tried ringing them from outside the gate but got no answer, not even such thing as a recorded message. Heatons got my custom today.
    Had to come on here this evening and do a little searching to find out what's going on there. Bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DubGal10

Mugser wrote: »
    I pulled up there today at about 1.55 to find gates closed, figured they might be closed for lunch or something. Waited till about 2.10, in that time there was at least 3 cars pulled up looking to go in, and 2 vans. No such thing as a sign on the gate explaining to people whats going on! I tried ringing them from outside the gate but got no answer, not even such thing as a recorded message. Heatons got my custom today.
    Had to come on here this evening and do a little searching to find out what's going on there. Bad form.

The staff were told at approx 4.15pm by phone the liquidators were in the business at 4.30 to shut the place up, im sure staff had more on their minds like worrying about how there going to pay their mortgage with no job than putting a sign on the gate, it in fairness was all over the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

DubGal10 wrote: »
    The staff were told at approx 4.15pm by phone the liquidators were in the business at 4.30 to shut the place up, im sure staff had more on their minds like worrying about how there going to pay their mortgage with no job than putting a sign on the gate, it in fairness was all over the news.

Funny that, the 1st I heard about it was this thread:eek

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

The News did cover this in typical garbled fashion. Most of what was reported was copy. Heatmerchants and T&T jobs saved while 225 Brooks jobs in trouble. Meanwhile brooks staff were told they were redundant - by phone. No documents or cheques. I do hope the business will be saved, for whoever gets to work there. As for those that did work there? I wish them well and hope they find better employers in the future.

heatmerchants are in fact moving to there old premises just outside the six cross roads business park where the tile giant was meant to open and never did!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Brooks Galway still open, but staff have no idea if it will be after next week's stock take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 casper2012

Staff members only got notice 15 mins after close of business! Brooks will cease trading if not sold by weekend, Heatmerchants and Tubs and Tiles is business as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Reader1937 wrote: »
    The News did cover this in typical garbled fashion. Most of what was reported was copy. Heatmerchants and T&T jobs saved while 225 Brooks jobs in trouble. Meanwhile brooks staff were told they were redundant - by phone. No documents or cheques. I do hope the business will be saved, for whoever gets to work there. As for those that did work there? I wish them well and hope they find better employers in the future.
    casper2012 wrote: »
    Staff members only got notice 15 mins after close of business! Brooks will cease trading if not sold by weekend, Heatmerchants and Tubs and Tiles is business as usual.

Inccorect.

The Brooks business was in examinership since approx 5th March. EVERY employee knew this as from that date they were paid by the examiners and not Brooks. There were tons of articles about this in all newspapers, radio and TV and staff would have been 100% informed of the situation. There were even signs up stating that they were in examinership.

All employees would have known that at anytime the shutters could come down and the jobs would be gone and effectively they knew it was simply a waiting game. I think it was a pleasant surprise for the heat mechants & tub/tile staff that their jobs were safe - but sure good news doesn't make headlines.

Yes, the final call may have been very short, but that's how liquidation works. All staff also are guaranteed their redundancy payment under law and if the company can't pay, its paid out by the social protection fund which in turn is funded by PRSI contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

Nothing I posted dissagrees with what you posted, or the facts, so not sure of your feelings on this. I do not begrudge any one their job and am delighted for those in Heatmerchants and Tubs and Tiles - long may they continue. Two things though,
    a/ good news does not have the same impact as bad news - I agree,
    b/ the thread was Brookes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 casper2012

sandin wrote: »
    Reader1937 wrote: »
    casper2012 wrote: »

Inccorect.

The Brooks business was in examinership since approx 5th March. EVERY employee knew this as from that date they were paid by the examiners and not Brooks. There were tons of articles about this in all newspapers, radio and TV and staff would have been 100% informed of the situation. There were even signs up stating that they were in examinership.

All employees would have known that at anytime the shutters could come down and the jobs would be gone and effectively they knew it was simply a waiting game. I think it was a pleasant surprise for the heat mechants & tub/tile staff that their jobs were safe - but sure good news doesn't make headlines.

Yes, the final call may have been very short, but that's how liquidation works. All staff also are guaranteed their redundancy payment under law and if the company can't pay, its paid out by the social protection fund which in turn is funded by PRSI contributions.

I work in Heatmerchants and although we knew it could close at any time no one was expecting it so quick and its never easy to see so many people lose there job at a minutes notice! I wish everyone the best for the future!!

heatmerchants are in fact moving to there old premises just outside the six cross roads business park where the tile giant was meant to open and never did!!!

The tile giant place has been open for past 5/6 months.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Was wondering that myself when I saw the post. There is even a big ass sign over the front of the building saying its open and I always see lots of activity on site?

it never seemed to be open when i was goin to the gym after work which was between 2 and 3 o clock

Advertisement