Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too Late to pick up Biology?

• 20-04-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm in 5th year. At the start of the year I said I'd teach myself History instead of doing Biology, now I'm finding it really difficult with history so I'm wondering do you think it's too late/stressful to start Biology?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lord Ned Stark

It depends on what type of grade your hoping for I personally feel you could with a good bit of work certain bits are difficult but it's doable IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Is there any particular reason you're doing it outside of school? Like too many OL subjects or something? If not, just focus on your school subjects. The jump in work from 5th to 6th year is a lot bigger than you'd expect.

In any case, biology is very big but very easy. You'd want to give a good bit of summer to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

If you're willing to catch up over summer, then go for it! But it would require a lot of time and effort over your months off. It's a nice subject really, and fairly easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Biology is really quite a straightforward subject. It's almost completely a "read and regurgitate" subject. There's a lot of content but you don't need an awful lot of understanding to get by (Contrary to chemistry or physics).

But... if you're looking to teach yourself a subject, i'd go for Business. Business is ridiculously easy if you've got a good command of English and even the slightest bit of business sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I think you have time.
    But biology is really hard, for me anyways and most in my year.
    So so much to learn and its really all or nothing regarding the marks.
    My friends that do history reckon its way easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

biohaiid wrote: »
    I think you have time.
    But biology is really hard, for me anyways and most in my year.
    So so much to learn and its really all or nothing regarding the marks.
    My friends that do history reckon its way easier.
    Seriously? :confused:

Biology is much easier than history. History is more of a speed writing exam than anything. With biology if you know your stuff you'll have an easy calm exam. I was finished in 1.5 hours and got a high A1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Inimitable

I just started studying Geography outside of school last week and I always find myself procrastinating and now I ont know if i'll ever get it all done in time... but in Biology ( which i do in school) I find that if you learn off all the definitions its definitley %60 of the exam there is little in the way of an actual understanding needed for the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Biology is much easier than history. History is more of a speed writing exam than anything. With biology if you know your stuff you'll have an easy calm exam. I was finished in 1.5 hours and got a high A1.

Difficulty is subjective, I find languages much easier to do well in that Chemistry, although some of my friends disagree!

I dont know, I dont do history myself but it seems like itd be a lot easier.
    I just cant learn biology, the marking scheme is a lot of crap too. :L
    I guess its just different people.
    I prefer subjects with essays and opinions whereas some people might prefer the more 'definition' only kinda subjects.

• Advertisement

Difficulty is subjective, I find languages much easier to do well in that Chemistry, although some of my friends disagree!

Same here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Tippgal93

Im in sixth year now...

Personally I think you should go for it.. I do biology.. Although it is a broad course its very do-able... There isnt much to be understood in it - everything jst has to be learned.. witht he exception of respiration, photosynthesis, DNA and RNA. genetics and one or two chapters.. You might need a tutor for them .. But all the other chapters are just a matter of learning..... And the experiments are ok too..

You alos have this whole summer.. Even an hour or two a week for the summer would bring you up a good bit... If you chose to do it in school most of the stuff will (should) get covered again...

You should download the biology syllabus to see what you need to know.. There are also some notes books which are quite good...

But I would adivse you to start now.. Or as soon as your summer tests are finished... Learn your chapter.. Answer the questions at the end of the chapter... Then get the edco exam papers.. Go to the start of the papers to where they have the breakdown of the papers.. Go to the chapter youv just done and do all the questions that have came up on that chapter. .Then learn then.. You will find they repeat year after year...

If you chose to do it in school and join the current biology 5th year class.. Just ask them what they have covered and make a start on that....

But it is a very broad subject! If your clever about it you can do quite well in it :) any questions about it feel free to ask :)

Advertisement