Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical checks for new mortgage protection insurance?

Options
  • 20-04-2012 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

I am currently looking to change my mortgage protection and was wondering if the companies actually check your medical records at your GP or will they make you take a medical? I got my first insurance through my bank and this wasn't necessary at the time. I'm 34 and cover is under 80000.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

At that level of cover and your age, you may get accepted based on the application form alone if there's nothing on your application form that the insurance company wants to investigate further. If there is, it would usually be done just by getting a report from your G.P. which the insurance company arrange and pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sboyle01

Thanks. The thing is I have to have insurance for mortgage even though I don't want it. I live on my own and don't have any dependants. I was diagnosed with high iron last year and heard this will push the premium a lot higher. I could just stay with the cover I have and say nothing even though this is a lot dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

sboyle01 wrote: »
    Thanks. The thing is I have to have insurance for mortgage even though I don't want it. I live on my own and don't have any dependants. I was diagnosed with high iron last year and heard this will push the premium a lot higher. I could just stay with the cover I have and say nothing even though this is a lot dearer.

As far as the bank is concerned, you could have a partner and six kids so they don't take any chances and want the debt wiped out by an insurance policy if you kick the bucket.

If you take out a new policy you will have to declare that medical condition on the application form so you're probably better off staying where you are though there's nothing to stop you getting a quote, it will have no effect on your current policy even if the quote comes from the same insurance company as they cannot increase the premium on the existing policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If they write to your GP to get them to complete the medical form and they (the gp) knows of your condition they will have to put it on the form and if that form differs from your version you'll have to explain why.

I'd add that if they see that you're monitoring your condition and receiving treatment they'll be much happier then if you are sent for a medical and they discover the high iron but no corresponding info on the medical form you or your gp completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

Do you have haemachromatosis? If that's controlled it doesn't necessarily result in a higher life insurance premium.

• Advertisement

Do you have haemachromatosis? If that's controlled it doesn't necessarily result in a higher life insurance premium.
    yes. I am getting treatment.

ZuneAuto wrote: »
    If you take out a new policy you will have to declare that medical condition on the application form

Ok. Do I have to tell my current insurer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

sboyle01 wrote: »
    ZuneAuto wrote: »
    If you take out a new policy you will have to declare that medical condition on the application form

Ok. Do I have to tell my current insurer?

Not your current one no. Keep paying the premiums and get a mortgage protection quote by going to your broker. When filling out the prop youd have to answer a question along the lines of "are you currently receiving treatment..." which you would have to answer truthfully as non disclosure could result in reduced/no payment

Advertisement