Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Terry Wogan's Ireland"??

• 20-04-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭

I didn't realise this was out on DVD-I only saw it today.Even the name makes me laugh.

I mean,why would any TRUE Irish person want to buy this-and line the pockets of an ex-pat already rolling in British Sterling,who admittedly "anglicised" himself,who distances himself from his roots while in Britain and who laughs at us,or "the Irish" as he calls us,every chance he gets when on British television? I for one am infuriated by this.In my opinion,Terry "the Brit" Wogan is not an Irishman,and England can keep him.

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I wish you wouldn't bottle your emotions up Seasan. Please tell us how you really feel :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

playa hate-a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

do they have it in blu-ray?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

He made da funniez on dat eurovizions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

it's marketed at Brits, not us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I thought it was a good programme...if it encourages more tourism I'm all for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭cml387

We should have sent Liam O'Murchu when we had the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I imagined Seasan typing that with his left hand and saluting the Irish flag with his right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Seasan wrote: »
    I didn't realise this was out on DVD-I only saw it today.Even the name makes me laugh.

I mean,why would any TRUE Irish person want to buy this-and line the pockets of an ex-pat already rolling in British Sterling,who admittedly "anglicised" himself,who distances himself from his roots while in Britain and who laughs at us,or "the Irish" as he calls us,every chance he gets when on British television? I for one am infuriated by this.In my opinion,Terry "the Brit" Wogan is not an Irishman,and England can keep him.

What should he call us, "the French!?"

I don't see why the fact that he moved and worked abroad should stop him from having an opinion on the country he's from.

Also, wouldn't a series about Ireland be better with the view of someone who's a partial outsider?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Terry Wogan for president!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Is that how many it's sold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I didn't see anything anti Irish in the series...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I for one am infuriated by this

I would imagine 99.9% of the population have more important things to infuriate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

phasers wrote: »
    Is that how many it's sold?

Whatever the figure was, the OP bought the lot and torched them, so that no-one would be corrupted by watching them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Terry "the Brit" Wogan is not an Irishman,and England can keep him.
    Terry Wogan is an IRA mole who has been destroying British culture from the inside for 40 years.

This is his Canary Warf.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Whatever the figure was, the OP bought the lot and torched them, so that no-one would be corrupted by watching them.

throw on a few copies of Murder she wrote, paddywhackery at it's worst.

Also burns really well, one box set kept my BBQ going all last Summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Just to clarify,here are a few quotes from Wogan from a programme he was presenting on one of the BBC channels,about 50 years of the Eurovision,earlier this year.These quotes aren't exactly word for word,but youll get the idea:

"While most European countries build lavish and glamorous arenas for the occasion,of course the Irish choose Millstreet-a showjumping arena for horses"(everybody laughs)

"The 90's were full of the joys of Eurovision success.But only if you were Irish."(said in a grim gloomy voice with a miserable mug)

"???? was the year when WE finally broke the Irish dominance in Dublin"("WE" referring to the UK entry from Katrina and the Waves)

I'm pretty sure this wasn't the first time,and it certainly won't be the last.Enjoy singin "god save the queen",Wogan.

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭cml387

Just to clarify,here are a few quotes from Wogan from a programme he was presenting on one of the BBC channels,about 50 years of the Eurovision,earlier this year.These quotes aren't exactly word for word,but youll get the idea:

"While most European countries build lavish and glamorous arenas for the occasion,of course the Irish choose Millstreet-a showjumping arena for horses"(everybody laughs)

"The 90's were full of the joys of Eurovision success.But only if you were Irish."(said in a grim gloomy voice with a miserable mug)

"???? was the year when WE finally broke the Irish dominance in Dublin"("WE" referring to the UK entry from Katrina and the Waves)

I'm pretty sure this wasn't the first time,and it certainly won't be the last.Enjoy singin "god save the queen",Wogan.

and can anyone argue with those salient points?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

When I was a young lad playing football out on the road in front of my house I'd often play "world cup" with my mates. Usually we'd choose which famous player at the time we wanted to be.....eg Roberto Baggio, Ryan Giggs, John Aldridge and so on. Most popular of all though was Terry Wogan. I've no idea why we associated Terry Wogan with football.

cml387 wrote: »
    and can anyone argue with those salient points?

If he had ere a bit of true Irish pride in him he wouldn't be rubbin our noses in it in order to amuse the English.Because of the eejits who run our country we are the laughin stock of europe as it is.(yeah,I know-we always did have stereotypes but who needs this?)

What should he call us, "the French!?"
    If I moved to Britain or any other country,I'd be sayin "We Irish" or "Us Irish".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

Terry Wogan is lovely, more power to him and his **** dvds

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

If I moved to Britain or any other country,I'd be sayin "We Irish" or "Us Irish".

Not if you were a TV presenter; that'd seem really weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Its a common phenomenon for poor Irish people to dislike rich people who left the old sod and done good.

Agricola wrote: »
    Its a common phenomenon for poor Irish people to dislike rich people who left the old sod and done good.

Totes

Damn that sexy, kind, successful hunk Brian McFadden!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

If he had ere a bit of true Irish pride in him he wouldn't be rubbin our noses in it in order to amuse the English.Because of the eejits who run our country we are the laughin stock of europe as it is.(yeah,I know-we always did have stereotypes but who needs this?)

Ah sure come here to me I know exactly how you feel about being stereotyped. Begorrah... To be sure....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Terry Wogan is a legend. Fair balls to him for having a successful career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Agricola wrote: »

We dislike the ones that don't leave too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The program actually mentions quite a few Irish grievances with English rule, and Terry himself seemed rather annoyed by some.

He is working for the BBC. Tracey Piggott says "we" when on Rte, for Ireland.

Yes, he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Hes a fcukin scab

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2005/may/23/broadcasting.bbc2

In fact Wogans nothing but a Blankety Blank.

Hes a fcukin scab

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2005/may/23/broadcasting.bbc2

In fact Wogans nothing but a Blankety Blank.

He has cool hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

He has cool hair.
    Yes,I heard he keeps it in the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I imagined Seasan typing that with his left hand and saluting the Irish flag with his right.

I think you're wrong about his right hand.

• Advertisement

You can have a successful career without changing your nationality and your allegiances.Why was he given the freedom of the city of Limerick?What has he ever done for Limerick,or Ireland?He is known for being a TV and radio presenter-nothing else.Tis understandable why Geldof,another "Sir",was given the freedom of Dublin(although he still cribbed and whinged about it) for his efforts for Africa.Note how Bono refused the "Sir" title,the reason he gave was because he is Irish.

What has he ever done for Limerick,or Ireland?

What have you ever done for Ireland? Voting Sinn Féin doesn't count.

You can have a successful career without changing your nationality and your allegiances.Why was he given the freedom of the city of Limerick?What has he ever done for Limerick,or Ireland?He is known for being a TV and radio presenter-nothing else.Tis understandable why Geldof,another "Sir",was given the freedom of Dublin(although he still cribbed and whinged about it) for his efforts for Africa.Note how Bono refused the "Sir" title,the reason he gave was because he is Irish.

A great man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The begrudgery is strong in you.

He's probably sang a few rebel songs in the bars of Nenagh, for Ireland.

• Advertisement

So you can't be proud to be Irish without being a Sinn Féin supporter?

So you can't be proud to be Irish without being a Sinn Féin supporter?

It's definitely a common trait among those who feign a love for Ireland. So anyway, what have you ever done for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭afrodub

Translation : Envy

He's probably sang a few rebel songs in the bars of Nenagh, for Ireland.

For the record,I don't go to pubs.What the hell is wrong with speaking up for ones own nationality?And by the way-I dont mean by taking up arms,as your buddy on here is suggesting.I buy as much Irish produce as possible,I am trying to promote the Irish language at home,at work,and anywhere I go.Might seem like feck all to ye but at least tis somethin.Laugh all ye want

It's definitely a common trait among those who feign a love for Ireland. So anyway, what have you ever done for Ireland?

Obviously your opinions are narrow minded and misguided.

Question right back at you-what have you done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

LOL

Pot meet kettle

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very insightful. Very ironic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Joko wrote: »
    LOL

Pot meet kettle
    Common with your Patriots/Gaelgoiri Nouveau. While loudly espousing a worthy cause, they have a concomitant problem; an inability to look in mirrors that vampires might identify with.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Question right back at you-what have you done?

Fuck all. Speaking Irish doesn't count either.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Very insightful. Very ironic.

And why,might I ask?

This person has implied that people who are not afraid to speak out loud about their pride of being Irish are all supporters of one particular politcal group with a history of violence.This person's suggestion is NOT,AND I REPEAT NOT,CORRECT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement