Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Terry Wogan's Ireland"??

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Seasan wrote: »
    People can argue and disagree with my opinions without pre-judging,without being abusive and without deliberately trying to offend

Report any post you deem offensive.

Use this report.gif, it can be found under the posters name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The begrudgery is strong in you.
    Have you actually READ any of the other posts here?
    Or is a "hate campaign" allowed to start up against one person here for having a difference in opinion??

You started a thread wrongly accusing our terry of being a traitor (effectively). That's strong words. You also attacked a TV program you didn't watch. So a thread borne of personal attacks, xenophobia, and ignorance and you are claiming you are the victim because people strongly disagreed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

hondasam wrote: »
    You slated Terry Wogan in your OP, you don't like him but some people do. It's hard to know who you hate more Terry or the UK. If you start a thread you must know some posters will disagree with you.

The general idea was an opinionated discussion-not a slagging match just for my opinions are-I was criticized and judged by people here merely for being a proud Irishman.

Please read again my reasons for disliking Terry Wogan.

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

The general idea was an opinionated discussion-not a slagging match just for my opinions are-I was criticized and judged by people here merely for being a proud Irishman.

I for one criticized you for attacking and denigrating a proud Irishman, Terry Wogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Report any post you deem offensive.

Use this report.gif, it can be found under the posters name.

Thank you

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

hondasam wrote: »
    You slated Terry Wogan in your OP, you don't like him but some people do. It's hard to know who you hate more Terry or the UK. If you start a thread you must know some posters will disagree with you.

We've read them. Most of us have disagreed with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I am a proud Irish woman and like Terry I lived in the UK for a long time. I never thought he made fun of us Irish or maybe because I like him it did not offend me.
    You were particularly negative and nasty about him in your OP, it's your opinion and some will share it and other will not.
    Basically what you want is every one to slate him and say how anti Irish he is and how he loves everything about the UK.

Older Irish immigrants will point out how important Terry's contribution was to making the English more sympathetic to irish people during the IRAs campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭cml387

I want to thank the OP for this thread.

I'd never seen that episode of never Mind..
    Absolute classic (and reckoned to be one of the best ever episodes apparently).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

To think that RTE produced Eamonn Andrews, Gay Byrne & Terry Wogan back in the 60's, what have they got nowadays, a plank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    To think that RTE produced Eamonn Andrews, Gay Byrne & Terry Wogan back in the 60's, what have they got nowadays, a plank.
    I don't think producing Auntie Gaybo is anything to be proud of.

I'm told that Wogan's brother still lives on Glasnevin Avenue in Finglas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Gay is all right but he is no Terry Wogan, Gay tries to hard and it comes across as smug where Terry is witty and charming.

Plank, we have so many I don't know who you mean, better not be Brendan O Connor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I for one am infuriated by this..

Its about time, its only about 3 days since the last time you were infuriated about something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Dotsey wrote: »
    I don't think producing Auntie Gaybo is anything to be proud of.

I'm told that Wogan's brother still lives on Glasnevin Avenue in Finglas

Terry Woagan is from limerick though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The family moved to Dublin when his dad got a promotion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Older Irish immigrants will point out how important Terry's contribution was to making the English more sympathetic to irish people during the IRAs campaign.
    Indeed ,I think he used his Irish charm and wit to good effect without overusing the parody of the steroptype and he appealed to people of all age groups. Before retirement, his radio 2 morning programme had one of the highest listenerships ever with many millions tuning in .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Plank is good at the politics. He even displays un-plank like qualities at times.

Gay Byrne brought a load of interesting guests and issues onto the TV, the man himself was an arse. As people became far more PR conscious, it became far harder to run that format, so it became the Gaybo show, and it was not a pretty thing.

His radio show was always cringeworthy shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

His radio show was a vital tool in opening up Ireland, his shows in the week after Anne Lovett died were remarkable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I hate what are essentially foreigners with little knowledge of this country in the modern day who'll happily define themselves as from this country and constantly try and market it based on their false image.

I think as a nation we're far too passive to these kind of chancers who'll happily flog the ancient Irish stereotypes to their homelands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I grew up watching Terry Wogan host the Eurovision on the BBC. I can never remember him putting down the Irish entry.

I also watched Terry Wogan's Ireland and enjoyed it. Hopefully, many residents of GB watched it too and plan to visit.

Ps: RTE's coverage of the eurovision was always sh!te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Downlinz wrote: »
    I hate what are essentially foreigners with little knowledge of this country in the modern day who'll happily define themselves as from this country and constantly try and market it based on their false image.

I think as a nation we're far too passive to these kind of chancers who'll happily flog the ancient Irish stereotypes to their homelands.
    Whats your point? You sure you posted in the right thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Downlinz wrote: »

Yes, the first thing that should be pointed out in all the tourist brochures, is that if people are expecting 100,000 welcomes on arrival, they're going to be extremely disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I also watched Terry Wogan's Ireland and enjoyed it. Hopefully, many residents of GB watched it too and plan to visit.
    I watched it to and don't think it did the country any harm at all ,in fact the rugged scenery was wonderful to see .Wogan and the people in the programme were just been themselfs ,there was a bit of humor which you expect in such like programme but no sign I saw of any 'flogging of the ancient Irish stereotypes ' to anybody .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Technique

Terry packs quite a punch in those moleskin trousers

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Terry Wogan along with only a few others took the popular Stereotypical paddy and gave the British a different view of us .He did a lot of good that way in the 60s & 70s when many had to suffer the embarrassment that others portrayed on TV and Films and Court reports .Himself and Eamonn Andrews and the Batchelors and Val Doonigan left them with a different view from the hellraising types .Not all Paddies are wild they learned .Terry had some misgivings about Ireland and our failures but many did and still do .Bitterness in Irish People in London towards Ireland was not very hard to find when i was there . That resentment is still present .

• Advertisement
Advertisement