Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spray Cans

• 20-04-2012 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I know this sounds like absolute heresy to you guys, but I have a 00 ex Eircom Berlingo, with the blue back doors and the blue patches either side of the back panels, and as a cheap, quick low cost solution to the logo showing through, I'm thinking of overspraying the blue bits with black spray cans instead of going through the whole rigmarole of organising to have it properly resprayed.

Will this work ?

I dont need a perfect, or even a good job, just something to cover the blue, and the logo which shows through on it.

Is this even possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd try T-Cut instead, that should remove traces of the stickers out of the paint. Respraying might require multiple coats to clear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Go to Wurth, buy a can or two of "Industrie Clean" - it comes in 500ml aerosols. Get a DA sander (the velcro type) and some scotchbrite pads(low abrasive, try the reds)or you can use the green "scourer type" pads you get in Tesco etc. Spray some industrie clean onto the pad and use the scotchbrite pad instead of sandpaper on the sander(if you see what I mean:)) and use the sander on a low setting to "sand" the remnants of the logo off. Keep applying more cleaner, and you can easily remove every last trace of it. Give the whole panel a going over to keep apperances the same. Clean off with a dry cloth and some panel wipe and then give the panel a shot of polish - voila, logoless bodywork. I did this for a living(in my evenings) on an industrial scale(6 of us flat out) during the boom as a sideline. It will remove all traces of old signwriting and will also, if combined with a scraper, remove the vinyl signwriting itself. Industrie clean is a really super cleaner, nothing else is as good - even cleans glass, removes glue, etc etc. Good gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll give one or both of those methods a go first.
    However, the fcuking blue colour alone annoys me, and I'm wondering if it's even possible to overspray it with cans at all. It's been 15-20 years since I took a can to anything, but I've heard they work better these days.
    Not having to match any other colour should make it possible, provided I can get it even and not patchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

How about another route? Go to your local friendly signwriting shop and get them to cut a vinyl sticker in your colour of choice to exactly cover the blue? Kinda like a mini-wrap and should be pretty cheap? Might look cool too and you could vary the size and shape for better effect.

Advertisement