Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

council refuses to take application

Options
  • 20-04-2012 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi everyone

I have a question regarding applying for council housing.

I went to the cork city council with my application for social housing support today, I am living in the Cobh area at present and have been for 6 months.

Previously I lived in Cork for 5 and a half years, and so I believed that I could apply to cork city council because I had what they term on their application form as a 'local connection' - having lived in the area for 5 years continously at any time.

I was told I could not apply to Cork City council despite what was written on the application form, I pointed out the above to the person on the desk her response was 'don't mind that.'

I argued my point, and pointed out what it says on the application, but they refused to take it saying that I lived in Cobh and therefore had to apply to the county council. I have no connection with Cobh and only ended up here because of rent allowance limits and therefore wanted to apply in the city.

Does anyone have any advice here? I don't want to apply to the county council because I want to be based in the city and they don't give you that option on the form, you can only select areas outside of the city. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

I suggest that you ask the housing officer for their refusal to accept your application for housing in Cork. You seem to fulfill the condition that you have a local connection based on the fact that you lived there for more then 5 years. I doubt that they will be prepared to state in writing that you do not meet the requirements. Alternatively you could contact the Dept of the Environment and ask them to intervene on your behalf with the local authority.

These are just 2 suggestions, don't know if either will work but best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭nowayjosie

Hi everyone

I have a question regarding applying for council housing.

I went to the cork city council with my application for social housing support today, I am living in the Cobh area at present and have been for 6 months.

Previously I lived in Cork for 5 and a half years, and so I believed that I could apply to cork city council because I had what they term on their application form as a 'local connection' - having lived in the area for 5 years continously at any time.

I was told I could not apply to Cork City council despite what was written on the application form, I pointed out the above to the person on the desk her response was 'don't mind that.'

I argued my point, and pointed out what it says on the application, but they refused to take it saying that I lived in Cobh and therefore had to apply to the county council. I have no connection with Cobh and only ended up here because of rent allowance limits and therefore wanted to apply in the city.

Does anyone have any advice here? I don't want to apply to the county council because I want to be based in the city and they don't give you that option on the form, you can only select areas outside of the city. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You should go to Citizens Information Centre as these centre's have all the info you need regarding housing applications and your rights. Also they may speak on your behalf if you have exhausted your attempts. Go to your local Councillor too and as him/her to represent you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nataliewalsh9

Hi

Thank you both for your suggestions, in particular I never would have thought to ask at the dept of the environment... your advice is much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭nowayjosie

Hi

Thank you both for your suggestions, in particular I never would have thought to ask at the dept of the environment... your advice is much appreciated :)

I know what its like to fight a battle to just get heard - just persist, be strong and keep your chin up, lets know if it all works out for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nataliewalsh9

It certainly is a battle dealing with these people, thank you for your help and I'll let you know how it goes :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement