Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you tow an auto Merc?

• 20-04-2012 9:59pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can you tow an auto Merc?

thanks.

Comments

Nope, no lubrication, you can tow it with the back wheels raised but that's not any good to you i imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Onwardandupwar

People say no but I'm not so sure.the question is how far u towing it and what model is it I've seen plenty towed in fairness and never a bit of trouble actually Id go as far as to say yes you can so long and you can get the box in to neutral

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

maybe 20 miles or so.
    car is starting alright but some strange noises according to the owner.

she doesnt know whether to drive it to mechanic/home or get atow truck or tow it with a friends car.

car is an 06 C180 petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Interesting, could you not just stick it in neutral and tow or is the gearbox still engaged in some way even when in neutral?

From what ive been told, once the car can be got into N, then this disengages the gearbox from the car and towing it is ok?
    Interesting, could you not just stick it in neutral and tow or is the gearbox still engaged in some way even when in neutral?

this is what i believe is ok, just looking for confirmation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I have seen automatic box cars being towed arse first afew times iwth steering wheel held in place with a steering lock, made me look twice.

kceire wrote: »
    From what ive been told, once the car can be got into N, then this disengages the gearbox from the car and towing it is ok?.......

The owners manual should confirm :)
    I reckon it probably says not to though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Don't do this, no oil will be pumped and the transmission will suffer inside.

Disconnect the prop shaft and all will be fine then. Or else raise the rear wheels.

Edit: 2 Mercs and my E34 are auto so we should know :)

You are correct as I've said once the car is in neutral also explain the noises your on about I work on Mercedes day in and day out is it a engine noise or a different noise.explain and il try tell u what it is and if it's safe to drive.

On the 2012 model it's fine to tow for no more than 30 miles at no faster than 30 mph :)

I stand corrected

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/ownersmanual/2012-C-Class-Sedan.pdf

• Advertisement

You are correct as I've said once the car is in neutral also explain the noises your on about I work on Mercedes day in and day out is it a engine noise or a different noise.explain and il try tell u what it is and if it's safe to drive.

she says engine noise with blue smoke!
    i havent seen it yet.

was driving about 100kmph on the motorway when it start happening.

Is it making a rattling sound if it is it's the timing chain which is a very common problem on that engine.new timing chain and tensoner if it's not that and it's just running bad it's going to be split breather pipes down under the air box be great if u could get more if but even if it's the chain it won't fail completely

Is it making a rattling sound if it is it's the timing chain which is a very common problem on that engine.new timing chain and tensoner if it's not that and it's just running bad it's going to be split breather pipes down under the air box be great if u could get more if but even if it's the chain it won't fail completely

could she drive it home, gently?

Yes she could if that's what it is but there the common problems on that engine but make sure there's no rapid revving of the engine

Advertisement