Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

company doctor

Options
  • 20-04-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, just looking for a bit of info.

If you are out sick and you submit a sick note for the first week and forget the one the second week and then get one for the ongoing weeks can the company sack you?

Also if they say they want you to attend the company doctor do you have to go and can they see your own doctors medical records if it pertains to your illness?

Just a bit worried cause my friend has lied and made up and a pretty serious illness and doesnt have the records to support her claim, plus she never got the second cert either

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Some of it can depend on what's in the company's policies. That can include having you attend their doctor. Don't know if they can see the records, or just get more of a summary. This might be more to confirm that the person is fit to go back to work - i.e. in case work needs to make any allowances.

A pattern of absences through sick leave can be grounds to for dismissal - even if it's totally genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I had to see the company doctor last year after an absence from work of over three months. My illness had resulted in me failing two sets of professional exams, which would usually be grounds for dismissal in my firm.

The appointment was fine. It was like a regular doctor appointment, but much more thorough - I was in there for almost two hours! There was no physical examination. We went through my medical history, and that of my family. The doctor was very nice, and very professional. My firm had already sent to her all of the medical certificates I had submitted to them (I gave permission for this in advance.) I had also given permission for her to liaise with my own GP and consultants, and provided her with the necessary contact details.

When you say that someone "forgot" the cert for the second week ... as an employer, I would be very unimpressed. If you're too sick to be at work, I would assume that you would be at the doctor's or at the hospital at the very least once a week! So I don't see how it's in any way plausible that you could not obtain a certificate (even a retrospective one.)

If your friend lied about a serious illness, it's unlikely she'll find a doctor to support her claim. I would imagine that she will lose her job.

As someone who has missed large amounts of time at work as a result of very genuine serious illnesses, I can't say I have a whole lot of sympathy for your friend. I wouldn't wish what I've gone through on anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

Would have been in a position also where i missed a large amount of work through genuine illness, but had to comply with company policy as regards seeing the company doctor nevertheless. Policy documents regarding sick leave must be available to your friend, however your medical records are confidential, but to be honest i have no sympathy for anyone who fakes an illness to get time off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Seeing the company doctor isn't always about verifying that someone is ill, but checking to see that they're fit to return to work and/or if the company needs to facilitate the employee where practical (e.g. reduced hours for a while and so on).

But it doesn't sound like this applies to the OP's friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭nua domhan

Fair play to her, I mean, it's not like there's loads of people out there who'd be happy to have a job to go to. She may as well sit at home watching Jeremy Kyle and get paid for all her effort.

I hope it's a small firm too, you know, that'll really feel the loss in workforce - that'll teach them to ask for things like sick notes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

The more i thought about this post the angrier i got:mad::mad::mad:
    Should have said also that I think company doctors and OH depts are more interested in getting you back to work than whether or not you are fit enough to do so. i know this is a generalisation but can only speak from my own experience, which wasn't a good one, and from my knowledge of the company for which i work, (american multi-national). Was certed fit for work in the middle of a major depressive episode,went back and had a breakdown on line 30 mins after i started. funnily enough,i've never been pressured to return to work if out sick since then.i'm not a piss taker and thankfully have been well for almost 3 yrs now, but have experienced and witnessed the heartbreak and stress of dealing with work when out sick which is why i have no time for someone faking a serious illness. your friend should just take her beating and i hope it stays fine for her.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 nooneworker

How can you forget to get a sick cert. I would suggest your company start corrective action owing to you not following company policies.
    If they forget to pay you - would you think they did something wrong.

Advertisement