Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

failed nct on emissions.... advice on dipthane.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

GRRRR IT FAILED AGAIN!!!!

I dont understand this, here are the full figures for the first failure:

Engine/Oil temp: 85 C

Low Idle (960 rpm) CO .18 % HC 148 ppm - PASS
    High Idle (3050 rpm) lambda: 1.02 CO .39% HC 84 ppm - FAIL

and today:

Engine/Oil temp 110 C (notice its higher)

Low Idle (810 rpm, notice its lower) CO .29% (notice its higher???) 136ppm - PASS

High Idle(2870 rpm, again lower) Lambda: 1.02 (the same) CO .36% HC 68ppm - FAIL

This is with half a bottle of Dipthane in it since the last test. what the hell do i do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Did you add the Dipthane to a full tank, use it all up and refil it again or would there have been Dipthane in the tank at the time of the test?

Senna wrote: »
    Did you add the Dipthane to a full tank, use it all up and refil it again or would there have been Dipthane in the tank at the time of the test?

added a quarter bottle last week after a fill up. and same again this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

So you used Dipetane and your car still failed?! Surprise, surprise.....not!

Cosmo K wrote: »
    So you used Dipetane and your car still failed?! Surprise, surprise.....not!

what would you recommend then oh wise one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

I think he would recommend bringing the car to a competent mechanic and get a proper assessment and diagnostics of the NCT fail rather than just throwing in dipthane and "sure that'll fix it right up"

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Organic Cavity

Or putting diptane in a half tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Diptane does not repair faults.

If your car has still failed then you need to have the problem diagnosed and repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Dipthane is not really that useful for petrol engines to be honest. The engine is still running lean (lambda is 1.02 instead of 1) - that needs to be corrected. That's why it's failing, and will continue to fail until that is addressed. Since it's not really out all that much, it suggests that it could be a very slight air leak of some description, perhaps a hole in the exhaust, but I'm no expert. This could be the one case where changing the cat might be enough to get it through, since everything else is more or less in spec, but again others would know better than me on that score.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

How do they gauge the Engine Oil temperature ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement