Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Standing ticket question..

Options
  • 20-04-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,

Im going to my first concert in the near future, and im just wondering how does a standing ticket work. If the doors open at 7pm, does everybody make a dash running/pushing to get closest to the stage? Is it worthwile arriving that early? If the concert starts hour and half later?
    My ticket says standing Entrance 1 G7 227
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

Depends Who Your Going To See But Most People Try To Push Their Way Up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AaronPunk

I've been there three times if I remember correctly, but haven't been there in about a year and a half.
    If I remember correctly, they have multiple doors which to separate the crowds out a bit.
    I wish I could be more helpful, but out of the three times I was there, I was only in the standing area once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

depends on the popularity of the artist. Definitely people with standing tickets will be queuing before doors open- I did it myself when I saw Duran Duran few months ago.
    If you want to be in front of the stage, you might want to be there early.
    In the O2 doors usually open at 6:30, opening act(s) on stage on 7:30 or 8 and the main act around 9 (give or take 10-15 minutes, depending on their setlist duration). The whole thing is over by 11.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

My advice would be the following:
    • Get yourself hydrated, I know this may seem a bit straight forward but it gets hot as hell and generally if you've gotten pretty close to the stage you won't want to give up your place or lose it because you've not drank enough liquids so plenty of water!! I tend to bring gum for near the end it helps a lot I find when I start to feel the heat lol. Also don't forget to eat something.. once I get into the venue I grab a snickers or whatever and a bottle of water from the shops in the O2..
    • Wear something light and definitely don't wear a jacket/hoodie LOL I've seen countless fellas sweating it out in big jackets and what not in the middle of the crowd, when you have people that close together it tends to become hot/stuffy pretty quick. I tend to wear a light T-shirt/Jeans. Hopefully the weather won't be so bad if you plan to queue a few hours before the venue opens.
    • Don't panic if you're not up front at 1st, While you may not end up the front when you get in the door you might by the end or near the end of the concert, people tend to leave, back out and or have to be pulled out from the crowd because they've ended up not drinking enough or they're simply not able for being pushed against the barrier etc. But when this happens you tend to move up yourself, For example I was at Drake in the O2 a few weeks back I started in the middle of the crowd and by the end of the night I was 2 rows back from the barrier.
    • Flying solo is always easier, If you're going alone It's a lot easier I've found, It may not be as fun but than when you're with a few people but it's a lot easier to look after yourself in a large crowd than try to keep a group of 4 together, If you're in a group try decide a place where you're all happy at :P
    • Try to avoid the drunks, Theres always gonna be twats in the crowd detour around them, I've seen lads get pissy because they're being pushed up against each other and try to start fights, alcohol can be the fuel in this fire although generally the bad attitudes don't help. The reality is the closer you get to the front the harder you will find it to avoid being pushed forward etc.
    • Wear comfortable footwear, Standing for 3/4/5 hours or whatever will take its toll on you, or it does me rather lol..
    Of course all of the above info is all depending on who you are going to see as previously mentioned, Oh and if all fails and you can't get close you're still gonna have a blast either way, I've been to the O2 a few times and enjoyed being in the the back just as much as bing right up front, I hope it helps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

^ Some good advice but remember it's a gig not a warzone or a pilgrimage across the desert he's going on..

OP you don't need to be there when the doors open to get close to the stage in the o2, unless you are talking about getting right at the barrier. You'll have a good view from almost anywhere in the venue and most people will be at the bar or moving around chatting and whatever until maybe 15 - 20 minutes before the main act come on.

I've never had a problem getting fairly close or as close as I wanted to in the o2 at any time.

I wouldn't be terrified of people because they're drunk either, gig go-ers are generally a friendly lot (will depend on the crowd that act draws of course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Ya see with some bands if they have dedicated teen fans they will queue up all day (and all night like some events I have gone to) so they will take up the front row, the next batch are usually the ones who come 1-3 hours before the gig they will form a semi circle around the front, there may be some squeezing in but if youre not feeling it or cant see anything move back!

If you love the act come a few hours earlier, if its not that kind of show to have people queuing all day you can come before the doors open and if the crowd is older a lot of them will go to the bar or chill a bit more.

All the doors open straight into the main hall so it will only slightly dictate what end of the place youll be closest to.

If you're getting the luas there and back don't forget to buy a return ticket before you get on and leave slightly early if you don't want to be waiting 15-30 minutes to get one.

Enjoy.

/Edit I think the stage is a bit higher in the 02 isnt it so if you're in the first 10 rows its great, then there are rows behind that where you cant see much unless youre tall and there is a lot of messing then go back a bit and aha personal space again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 daryl2012

Unless you want to get to the very front, I really don't see there being a mad rush to get in.(probably does depend on who your going to see) What I would say though is go in and soak up the atmosphere but bring plenty of cash if your buying drinks in the O2, the place is a rip off.
    The sound, imo, is excellent in the O2, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

As above it all depends on the act and the crowd.

I went to see Lady Gaga there two years ago, queued 2-3 hours before doors opened and was 3rd row from the stage - the crowd surged forward when the opening warm-up act came on, put my hand up and couldn't get it back down. Lot of rude little teenagers there to be honest - I expected there to be a crush for Gaga but not for Lady Starlight :rolleyes: Anyway, we moved back a bit, and had a far better view and really enjoyed the night much more than getting crushed.

Was there for Rammstein in February and went near the middle to the back of the floor cos I knew I'd not be able for the heat ha ha - still a great view though.

There again last night for NKOTBSB (I like variety) and could nearly touch them on the catwalk and only arrived when doors opened but it was an older crowd than usual for a pop gig.

All depends who you are going to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Maire2009 wrote: »
    As above it all depends on the act and the crowd.

I went to see Lady Gaga there two years ago, queued 2-3 hours before doors opened and was 3rd row from the stage - the crowd surged forward when the opening warm-up act came on, put my hand up and couldn't get it back down. Lot of rude little teenagers there to be honest - I expected there to be a crush for Gaga but not for Lady Starlight :rolleyes: Anyway, we moved back a bit, and had a far better view and really enjoyed the night much more than getting crushed.

Was there for Rammstein in February and went near the middle to the back of the floor cos I knew I'd not be able for the heat ha ha - still a great view though.

There again last night for NKOTBSB (I like variety) and could nearly touch them on the catwalk and only arrived when doors opened but it was an older crowd than usual for a pop gig.

All depends who you are going to see.

No shit!!!

As for gettin to the front it's pretty easy, and can be done without queuing.

Here's the Scudley tip ;)

Get as close to the front as possible, when the main act comes on THERE WILL be pushing and shoving, use these times to make your move, when the crowd pushes back a small gap will appear, jump into it, carry on doing this, i ended up 2nd row for Rammstein after 3 songs this way, but i suppose it does help that i'm built like a tank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

scudzilla wrote: »
    No shit!!!

As for gettin to the front it's pretty easy, and can be done without queuing.

Here's the Scudley tip ;)

Get as close to the front as possible, when the main act comes on THERE WILL be pushing and shoving, use these times to make your move, when the crowd pushes back a small gap will appear, jump into it, carry on doing this, i ended up 2nd row for Rammstein after 3 songs this way, but i suppose it does help that i'm built like a tank

Ha ha - people think I'm bipolar when it comes to music. It can literally go from Andrea Bocelli to Rammstein on my ipod.

Fair play to you for sticking the heat in the 2nd row - best gig ever that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Ha ha - people think I'm bipolar when it comes to music. It can literally go from Andrea Bocelli to Rammstein on my ipod.

Fair play to you for sticking the heat in the 2nd row - best gig ever that.

I'll drink to that!!!
    my MP3 player is in the same category. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Like others have said, it really depends on the band.

I've been to a few different gigs there:

-Green Day was back when they still had a pit, you had to have been there pretty early to get into it. I was there all day (I was 17 and a die-hard GD fan at the time) with some friends and got in; other friends showed up when the doors opened and ended up way down the back at the side.

-Madness was the same year but had no pit, people showed up pretty late (after the support act) and still got very close to the front. It was practically empty downstairs until just before the band came on.

-Blink 182, I queued for hours and ended up having to move back after all that because it was horrible. It was one of the first times they didn't have the pit and they really needed one, there was a crush to get in the door, let alone to the stage. People were better off down the back at that one.

-Snow Patrol - showed up five minutes before the doors opened and was in the sixth row from the stage.

So what artist are you going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can often get close to the front if you are at the sides. Some bands will stick to the same spot when playing, so you could check out live gigs on youtube and see who stands where -i.e. you might have a preferred side to be standing on.

e.g. I think bob dylan always sits the same way and faces the crowd in one direction. So if you had seats on one side in the O2 you would be looking at the back of his head for most of it.

Or you might want a better look at a particular band member

Advertisement