Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Titan, Nokia Lumia 800, BlackBerry Bold 9900

Options
  • 20-04-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just curious about these 3 phones and which is the better phone? I am undecided between them and would appreciate all comments and opinions. What i look for in a phone is a large memory for music, photos etc. The HTC & Lumia have 16GB memory which is very good in comparison to the Blackberry with 8GB. But even with the huge memory space i have read that the HTC & Lumia do not have a great battery.
    All phones have very good cameras some better than others and of course WiFi and all other apps and the phones are around the same price range, the Blackberry being a small bit cheaper. I would appreciate any suggestions and maybe new information,
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭pigeon999

Gerard93 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just curious about these 3 phones and which is the better phone? I am undecided between them and would appreciate all comments and opinions. What i look for in a phone is a large memory for music, photos etc. The HTC & Lumia have 16GB memory which is very good in comparison to the Blackberry with 8GB. But even with the huge memory space i have read that the HTC & Lumia do not have a great battery.
    All phones have very good cameras some better than others and of course WiFi and all other apps and the phones are around the same price range, the Blackberry being a small bit cheaper. I would appreciate any suggestions and maybe new information,
    Thanks.
    BB Bold doesn't have auto-focas. Try BB for a awhile. Do the same with windows phone. HTC and the lumia are pretty similar. Differences are
    Diffent screen sizes
    Design of the phone.
    Lumia has turn by turn navigation.
    Hardware wise all Windows phones are practically the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Thanks Pigeon,
    I am inclined to go with the HTC. I'll do a bit more research!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Volovo

Thanks Pigeon,
    I am inclined to go with the HTC. I'll do a bit more research!

Check out the new HTC One X, if you can afford it its hard to resist!

Check out the new HTC One X

Thanks Volovo, will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I'd go Lumia myself - more recent release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The 9900 is a wonderful phone. Feels excellent in the hand and has the best physical keyboard from any phone I've ever held. That said, it has known charging issues and is tied into RIM services and a soon to be obsolete OS. HTC One X would get my vote above any windows phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

pigeon999 wrote: »
    Lumia has turn by turn navigation.

So does the Titan. HTC Locations, i have it on my Trophy and it's very good. You can download the maps onto your phone and have full turn by turn for free.

I'd go with a Windows Phone. Blackberry OS is a bit outdated these days and it's lost it's momentum with developers.

Android is an option but if you ever use both WP7 and Android (unless you are a power user) then you'll be happier with WP7. I am a power user and i prefer WP7 to Android. Less hassle with it, no random slowdowns, no worrying about what might be running in the background and it just works all the time.

EDIT: Locations is asking me to upgrade my subscription. I'm worried now it isn't free like Nokia Maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

If you don't need a front facing camera or tethering at the spot go for the Lumia 800. Tethering will be coming via software upgrade soon, but its not available right now on the Lumia.

In terms of Sat Nav Nokia Drive is a bit more pleasing to use, though HTC Locations are a bit more feature rich. Though Nokia Maps are gonna keep improving with time in features. HTC Locations will probably stay the same for a long time, if sat nav is really important for you.

I got the Titan, I would regret getting it right now if Nokia had their tethering update out already.

Titan is a lovely piece of hardware, its a tank of the phone in build quality too, though I find it to be quite a big phone. Little too big tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Find anywhere with a good price on the Lumia 800?

• Advertisement

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Find anywhere with a good price on the Lumia 800?

Amazon.de is good

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all the replies, its actually my son I was making the enquiry for, so he's taking all the replies on board, he's made no decision yet and is also considering going from per-pay to bill pay and may get a deal on the phone this way.

Pricewise Amazon seem to be good, is there a good chance of being charged duty on top of the price paid by Irish customs?

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all the replies, its actually my son I was making the enquiry for, so he's taking all the replies on board, he's made no decision yet and is also considering going from per-pay to bill pay and may get a deal on the phone this way.

Pricewise Amazon seem to be good, is there a good chance of being charged duty on top of the price paid by Irish customs?

There's always a chance of being charged duties. Its a hit and miss.

Regarding bill both the Titan and the Lumia are around 99 euro on all networks on 18 months price plans. CPW have a deal if you sign up to bill or move networks and trade in an old phone you'll get an extra 30 + the value of the trade in. So you could get it for around 60 euro or less depending what old phone he has.

CPW have a deal if you sign up to bill or move networks and trade in an old phone you'll get an extra 30 + the value of the trade in. So you could get it for around 60 euro or less depending what old phone he has.

That looks good Thanks for that - evolutionqy7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

There's always a chance of being charged duties. Its a hit and miss.

You should never get caught for customs if you buy from Amazon anywhere in Europe (i'm not sure about the other sellers). If i did then i'd just refuse the items as they weren't as described (unless it said i would be hit with duties).

Some resellers like simplyelectronics come from outside the EU so you could be hit with duties, but then that isn't directly from amazon.

Advertisement