Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I register a .ie domain of a product I want to distribute/sell?

Options
  • 20-04-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

I've spotted a product which is available in Ireland, but on a small scale.

I've thought about approaching the manufacturers directly and asking for an opportunity to promote the product at events and basically be the 'point man' in Ireland.

Separate to that, I've discovered that the .ie address is not currently registered, as in www.productname.ie - am I able to register this domain with the view to following my plan, or with the gods tracking .ie have an issue with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Well yes in a word..

You will need to create a business name .. And be clear what you sell.. So for example before i did something similar My main business is that im a farmer of chickens.
    And i wanted to register with cro ^ the above and so the domain carrier would need that cro information .. company number etc to validate that you indeed what to secure hungrychickens.ie

Thats a round about way of describing what u have to do .. Just to be clear your business must be related to the domain name that u want to buy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Registering the domain under .ie isn't quite that simple.

Just because a domain name is available does not mean that you can register it (and the same is true for any domain extension)

If the product name is a registered trademark you are not entitled to register the domain. You might be able to get the domain name, but you could easily end up losing it if the actual trademark holder disputes it.

You'd be better off registering a more generic domain name. So, for example, if the product was "iphone" Apple would come after you for registering any derivative domain.
    However they wouldn't be able to if you registered something like "smartphones.ie" or similar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Who do you register all these things with? Is there some government body that you must pay to register with, and who you can call upon if someone else starts using your registered name?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You register a domain name with the iedr or through any of the hosting companies who act as resellers.

You register a business name or company with the CRO.

Depends what you mean by using your registered name. More than one person can use the same registered business name, its only a limited company where there can only be a single instance of the name. So if they have a right to the domain name and they get it then it is theirs, you cant go complaining just because you feel you should have it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

newmug wrote: »
    Who do you register all these things with? Is there some government body that you must pay to register with, and who you can call upon if someone else starts using your registered name?

Domains or trademarks?

For .ie domains see the list of registrars here: http://iedr.ie/index.php/mnuresellers/list-of-registrars

For trademarks have a read of: http://www.patentsoffice.ie/en/trade-marks-frequently-asked-questions.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

connundrum wrote: »

Separate to that, I've discovered that the .ie address is not currently registered, as in www.productname.ie - am I able to register this domain with the view to following my plan, or with the gods tracking .ie have an issue with this?

Anyone can register a .ie domain name as long as they can demonstrate a connection to the domain name and a connection with Ireland, for businesses this is normally via a registered business name or company number although other documents are also accepted such as a letter from a solicitor or accountant confirming that you are trading in Ireland.

There are several other .ie domain categories that people can also register a .ie domain under, these are

Personal .ie Name
    Corporate Name
    Registered Trade Mark Name
    Registered Business Name
    State Agency Name
    Publication Name
    Educational Institution Name
    Politician's Name
    Unincorporated Association
    Personal Trading Name
    Discretionary Name

<snip>no shilling thanks</snip>