Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk first or last in your tea/coffee?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Last in tea, first in coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I generally add the milk to tea or coffee, but don't believe it really matters which goes into the cup first.:)

I've noticed in cafés and restaurants in Helsinki, Stockholm and Tallinn that almost everyone adds the milk (or cream, which I recommend) to the coffee, which is poured into the cup first.

For what it's worth, I recall reading that the aul Windsor wan prefers the milk to be added to her tea, and I suppose if it's good enough for the head of state of rthe world's leading tea-drinking country, then ...:D

An old Nordic coffee-drinking tradition that one still occasionally sees practised (mainly by older and rural people) is called "kaffee på fat" in Swedish. The coffee is poured onto a saucer (see link to picture) and slurped from the edge of the saucer. A sugar cube, through which the coffee is sucked, is optional. :)

http://aforum.genealogi.se/discus/messages/2450/255263.jpg

Try it before you knock it!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I recall reading that the aul Windsor wan prefers the milk to be added to her tea, and I suppose if it's good enough for the head of state of rthe world's leading tea-drinking country, then ...:D
    She's the queen of China now? :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Redzer7 wrote: »
    I actually add petrol to my tea, because I'm a tank!
    Real tanks take diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Milk last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Depends. I always add a bit of cream to coffee. Coffee/sugar, hot water, milk, then cream. If I have no cream its coffee/sugar, teaspoon of milk, stir for a minute or two, hot water, then milk. Makes it creamy/frothy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Teabag - Water - Milk - Optional Jaffa Cake perched on the side like a proud soldier standing to attention beside a giant... cup... of tea.

With instant coffee it's generally water first, milk last. Though I occasionally switch it around. Sometimes I even heat the milk then add a couple spoonfuls of coffee for an even creamier coffee experience, because that's the kind of guy I am.

With real coffee, no milk. Well, sometimes milk. But only sometimes.

Anyone ever do the Kit-Kat straw? Bite both ends off a Kit-Kat finger and drain your tea or coffee through it. Tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Two teabags, boiling water to near top of mug, wait a couple of minutes, squeeze and remove bags, a little milk. Mmmmmmmm! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

No milk in tea or coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Eh, if you use sugar in your hot drinks, cooling it with milk first it going to hinder or stop the sugar melting. So yeah, milk last.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭skyflyer

Good lord, milk always last for tea. Don't drink coffee...

I have a very particular routine with how I stir and strain the tea bag too. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Real tanks take diesel.

My tank takes goldfish :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Bizarre level of relevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

last for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

First for coffee, last for tea. :) Probably pretty standard.

Not too sure why I replied. That statement is of no relevance whatsoever to anyone or anything :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Milk always goes last!
    People who do it the wrong way round are philistines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

After Hours- Tackling the big issues

this is what afterhours is for. there are other forums for the boring stuff

DO YOU HEAR THAT ALL YOU SERIOUS GEORGES YES IM TALKING TO YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Paul McCartney makes a cup of tea:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

This is what it says on my bag of Punjana:

• Use only freshly drawn water (reboiling takes the oxegyn out and stops the tea from brewing properly)
    • Pre-heat the pot or mug
    • Make sure the water is boiling when pouring onto the tea ("off the water boil" water doesn't infuse the tea properly)
    • Brew to taste for at least a minute and don't be afraid to stir the tea ( a tea bag floating on top isn't doing its job!)
    I think the highlighted bit is important. Don't put milk in first or it wouldn't infuse properly, imho.

The opposite for coffee because it becomes slightly carcinogenic in direct contact with boiling water so milk first is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Tea bag, then water, remove tea bag, then milk. Don't go anywhere near me with the sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Not to be rude but...
    • reboiling takes the oxegyn out and stops the tea from brewing properly

bollocks
    The opposite for coffee because it becomes slightly carcinogenic in direct contact with boiling water so milk first is ideal.
    more bollocks

Punjana's blurb writers can lick my milky spoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

If anyone ever makes me a cup of tea or coffee with the milk in first i'll be sure to make sure it's scalding hot before throwing back into their face.

Fools have gotta learn.

Fckin milk first indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Like it's even a question! Milk second!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Not to be rude but...

bollocks
    more bollocks

Punjana's blurb writers can lick my milky spoon.

To be fair the coffee bit isn't on Punjana's bag, that was from some article I read last year. Scientist and their studies :rolleyes: and I'd agree about the oxegyn thing, isn't water H20, so if I'm taking oxegyn out, does that mean I just have Hydrogen in my kettle :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

No milk at all in either, none. Horrible stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Milk first for coffee, just a drop to make it into a paste with the beans, the hot water destroys the flavour if it's thrown on first. Add more milk after then if needed.

Never in a million years would I add milk to tea first. That's silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

To be fair the coffee bit isn't on Punjana's bag, that was from some article I read last year. Scientist and their studies :rolleyes: and I'd agree about the oxegyn thing, isn't water H20, so if I'm taking oxegyn out, does that mean I just have Hydrogen in my kettle :confused:

Well there's dissolved oxygen in the water that has nothing to do with the O in H2O. These oxygen (O2) molecules are dissolved (very weakly interacting) with the H2O molecules. When you heat up the water what little hold the H2O had on these O2 molecules will decrease and the oxygen bubbles off. By the time you're up in the boiling point range no dissolved oxygen (O2) will be left in the water.

It may make a difference if you're making green tea and only heating up to ~60 or 70 degrees but if you're actually boiling the water then dissolved oxygen shouldn't come into play.

The fresh water prescription may come from when people boiled water in cast iron kettles. If iron (or other minerals) leeched into the water then boiling, topping up, and reboiling would have a concentrating effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Advertisement