Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lemon Juice

Options
  • 20-04-2012 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi everybody,
    I bought a 500ml bottle of Homecook lemon juice a while ago and when I used it in baking, I couldn't taste it! Then I used the juice of a real lemon the next time and I was able to taste it! Why the difference?!! I read on the pack that they used something like 20 lemons to make it and I was wary at first because it seemed quite cheap but you would think it would actually give a bit of flavour!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The bottled juice was pasteurized and bottled months ago. I am not surprised that is it tastes weaker than fresh juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yeh I stopped using that bottled stuff, some brands aren't pure lemon one tastes like lemon cordial it's horrible. Fresh is always best esp. with lemons the lemon zest really makes a huge difference and the juice too. I always use the Aldi lemons for lemon drizzle they have a nice zing but a hint of sweetness and loads of juice (plus cheaper). Although I've been searching for unwaxed lemons but can't find them where we are.

When it comes to orange flavour I have used orange oil in an emergency (think it's Dr Oetker brand) and it's ok so a lemon oil (Aldi are doing almond, vanilla lemon oil 3 pack atm) might work in an emergency as well but nothing beats fresh.

Advertisement